Mazda6 To Finally Get AWD Option - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaRex View Post
It seems to me the Mazda6 still trails its competition by 50-120 horsepower.

Until they address that, they're going to be perceived as a cheap car, not just a slow car. It is difficult for me to consider buying another one with such a massive performance deficit compared to so much of what is on the road now.
I'm not sure anybody would consider Mazda a cheap car, what with the current run that they're having. Low power used to mean cheap, but look at the average Mercedes and BMW entry level and mid level offerings and they are seriously power-deficient as well. Certainly not cheap, though. Would they consider Mazdas slow? Perhaps. But would that be a reality? Not in my opinion. HP numbers are misleading because a stand-alone number doesn't tell the whole story. How willing is the engine to respond to calls for more power? How accessible is that peak power? How wide along the power band is it available? How early in the power band is it available? Is the torque number there to back it up? How does the engine feel as it revs? So on, so forth. I believe Mazda has done more than most to improve their products. Gorgeous looks alone have been selling Mazdas for the last 5 years. The other virtues are things people generally discover along the way. I think that's fine.

I've been a fan of diesels for years, but I've never owned one. I'm happy that the option still exists, but I fear that by the time I'm in the market, I will have none. That's already the case with wagons.

Ad Agendum, Semper Perati

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Mazda6 i Grand Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Hi idrive,
My 2016 Mazda6 has a wonderful 2.5liter with variable valve timing. Unfortunately, it has a feeble 184 hp and very low redline.

Feels like most of the Mazda6 competition has a six-cylinder option with 260-ish horsepower - Acuras, Camrys, Accords, Altima, Maxima, etc. A few years ago, the Fusion/Optima/Sonata had a 240-hp two-liter.

On the very optimistic end, the Kia Stinger has a 365-hp AWD (twin-turbo V6) option. Yes, it's a challenge to call that $56K car a competitor for the sub $40K Mazda6.

Obviously, horsepower is just one component of a car's capability, enjoyability, and performance. And raw power is increasingly less usable with today's traffic environment. Many people speak very highly of the Mazda6 for its handling. However, it feels like we're starting off with a very big deficit.

I'm a Mazda loyalist - this is my eleventh. I didn't look at many other options since I wanted a stick-shift when I got my 2016 Mazda6. But that stick-shift cost me a lot of nice options. If I don't demand an Asian stick-shift next time around, the Mazda6 faces very heavy competition.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

-
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Hi idrive,
My 2016 Mazda6 has a wonderful 2.5liter with variable valve timing. Unfortunately, it has a feeble 184 hp and very low redline.

Feels like most of the Mazda6 competition has a six-cylinder option with 260-ish horsepower - Acuras, Camrys, Accords, Altima, Maxima, etc. A few years ago, the Fusion/Optima/Sonata had a 240-hp two-liter.

On the very optimistic end, the Kia Stinger has a 365-hp AWD (twin-turbo V6) option. Yes, it's a challenge to call that $56K car a competitor for the sub $40K Mazda6.

Obviously, horsepower is just one component of a car's capability, enjoyability, and performance. And raw power is increasingly less usable with today's traffic environment. Many people speak very highly of the Mazda6 for its handling. However, it feels like we're starting off with a very big deficit.

I'm a Mazda loyalist - this is my eleventh. I didn't look at many other options since I wanted a stick-shift when I got my 2016 Mazda6. But that stick-shift cost me a lot of nice options. If I don't demand an Asian stick-shift next time around, the Mazda6 faces very heavy competition.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
Dude have you heard they released the turbo?
I also had a 2016 and agree with you to a point, but the turbo 6 is a different animal. Having driven all of the competition (including V6 Stinger) the 2018 6 Sig is quite competitce for 10-20K less. As somone else mentioned you really can't compare hp and torque numbers. What counts is the overall package including respknsiveness and balance. While AWD would do a better job putting 310lb-ft of torque to the ground, my turbo 6 is very quick. Passing can be scary fast. And its getting even better as the drivetrain gets some miles on it. All I fear for are my front tires.

So your comparison is outdate IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
MazdaRex and TechZeke like this.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Thanked 1,164 Times in 851 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
So your comparison is outdate IMO.
Quite, QUITE outdated actually.

Of the cars mentioned above, take out Acura, since their ILX is a 4-cylinder, and the TLX prices start where the Signature 6 is, and they only have a 4-cylinder at that price.

Accord? No V6 anymore.

Altima? Same.

Maxima? Not in the same class (Maxima is considered full-size, and IMO it's also overpriced, overweight, and stuck with a CVT).

In fact, the only V6 left is in the Camry (301 HP), but it's 268 lb-ft isn't even close to the 310 lb-ft that the 2.5T in the 6 puts down. Plus, the V6 starts at $35K, which is again, where the Signature tops out at. You're looking at a Camry OVER $40K with the same options as the Signature.

$40K, for a Camry? Get real!

The market has changed over the past few years. Gone are the V6's, replaced with turbo 4-cylinders that offer better performance, fuel economy, and less weight... And who knows how much longer that'll last, since crossovers are sucking the life out of both the sedan and enthusiast, not to mention the electric pods we'll all be cursed to be passengers in sooner than later...
MazdaRex and TechZeke like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks, everyone, especially Ocramida and Mz6GreyGhost. I appreciate the schooling!

-
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, especially Ocramida and Mz6GreyGhost. I appreciate the schooling!
Your welcome.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page