post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Difficulty entering car?

I love everything about the Mazda 6 and really want it to be my next car but I can't get past this one weird thing. Every time I open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat my back hits the B pillar - HARD! It's like the B pillar is about 6 inches too far forward. It bothers me because I've never experienced this with any other car.

At the Chicago auto show it happened repeatedly even with the Mazda 3 and CX-5. I didn't have any problems hitting my back on the Accord, Altima, Sonata or even the smaller Honda Civic.

It seems like such a strange thing to be bothered about but every time I try to get in it makes me feel like the car is too small even though I have plenty of space once inside. Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2874 Post(s)
Thanked 4,058 Times in 2,850 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Change the seat position? Push the steering wheel in further? Not sure what to tell you to be honest - never heard anyone else having this issue on here (or any Mazda forum for that matter).

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM
GWL

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Your height and weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
I find it weird...

I admit that I myself had some "difficulty" with the ingress and egress when compared with CR-V, Trailblazer, and the likes. The first time I tried the Jetta, I had some adjustments with the way I enter and exit. The same thing is true whenever I have driven an SUV or any crossovers for a long time, say 3 months, then use the car.

After some time, I get used to it. I'm not a big person, as I'm only 5'6 and weighs 56 kg only but I somewhat get that feeling of "difficulty" you just mentioned. If I may emphasize, I experience that momentarily.

However, you mentioned a lot of cars and you said you didn't have any difficulty with those cars so I find it weird.

If I may suggest, have the seat all the way to the rear before going out of the car. The next time you enter, you should have sufficient space. Just use the memory button to get back to your preferred seating position. Since you mentioned the B pillar, I believe there's nothing else that we can adjust aside from what I've said and the steering as recommended by @Byakuya.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing I can think of is the sloping roof; in order to avoid hitting your head, you may be bending over more than other cars which cause your back to stick out more when entering. I also agree with @Archerfish and @Byakuya in that you may have the seat too far forward.

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Interesting...I have noticed the "forward" B-pillar once I'm in, but have not had any issues when getting in. That being said, I do tend to be particularly careful about not sliding into the seat, being mindful due to the bolsters and parchment color.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a big guy, 5'8 and 270. Also as far as seat height, this is the lowest on a car I've owned since I got rid of my 1997 Plymouth Neon back in 2003. I have no issues getting in and out of the 6. I had a 2014 Mazda 3 for 4 months and I got rid of it because THAT was a difficult car for me to get in and out of. I just thought I would get used to it. This is also why I don't count the 3 as one of the cars I officially owned...a costly mistake I just want to forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page