Mazda 6 Forums banner

Feel kind of ripped of buying paying 30k for a 2018 Maz6

15K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  pinoyxr 
#1 ·
Before I start I am not dissing the car, this is the best car I have even driven, and I love it to death.
I paid 30,000 for a 2018 Mazda 6 GT. After owning it for 2 months, I've noticed Mazda cut some corners on the vehicle, and some of these things really shouldn't have been done.
This car is extremely good at cornering and the 3k-5k rpm range is very satisfying coming from a family sedan. Car has one of the best interiors in the class range. Interior is Audi-esq, super nice.

But here is some of the features and Mazda cut corners on and you question why they did this on a 30k car.

1. Fake LED light bars. MULTIPLE fake LED light bars.

On the GRAND Touring model, the headlights-DRL are not the same as the Reserve model or the Signature model. Instead your headlights have a big silver chrome cutout of a fake LED DRL, which doesn't light up. Which makes NO sense at all, your headlight doesn't have the signature halo ring light, which almost EVERY single Mazda 6 has, even in previous generations.

And to make things a little cheaper, the trunk LEDs. Yep they are also fake and don't turn on. It's not an LED light, its a piece of silver light strip, shaped to look like LED light bars.

The Price Sticker clearly lists your car having, LED Headlights and Combo break lights. Which is 100% true, but they do not look any close to what you expected from 2018 LED lights.

This makes your car feel like it has no soul almost.

On a $30,000 car, which isn't a base trim, these basic options shouldn't be cut out, or even cut out at all.
The Halo rings are literally the cars signature.
You can get REAL modern DRL in cheaper cars such as the 2016 Rav4, 2016 Suburu.

You can buy the "Higher End" headlights for $1,300 EACH online. What a joke.

2. Apple car play and Android Auto.
It's 2018, we really shouldn't have to ask for this. And to have some of your customers pay for this basic option is such an insult.

And to make some buyers feel bad, some Model 6 have ACP/AA installed before they buy it. I have seen a 6 Sports with ACP/AA which starts at 21k, while some Signatures models doesn't have this feature.

3. Passenger side seats and manual adjust. Okay this is one i really don't understand. In the 30k GT model, the driver side is power adjust, but the passenger side isn't.

Man these such simple options really shouldn't cut out from the car at all. These features are what gives this car a soul, and to stand out from the Toyota XSE and the Honda Accord.
Can't believe they did this on a Grand Touring trim.

It is understandable in the base two trims, but not on this trim.

This is a extremely elegant and subtle car, but it lacks some very basics things that almost every 2018 car has.
The reason i don't call these features because these should be the standard, to have fake LED light bars in a 2018 car from Japan is almost an insult, when other competitors do none of that.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think Mazda has used the same strategy for the 6 since it was born. My 04 6s with full jam leather also only has manual passenger seat as well. Fit and finish is somewhat cheap and plasticy as well.

Thing is, these cars are built for driving in mind and it still amazes me just how well this 4dr family car can handle.

Our headlights are total crap, at least the newer ones shine usable light, lol.

#4 · (Edited)
Mazda is know for cutting corners in lots of shit, they did with the paint and headlights, lots of people complaining about headlights hazing and thin paint rock chips easily, same thing happened to the wheels in all models, not just the GT, my touring wheels have clear coat failure already, all around they want their car to look like a luxury one but they cut corners in obvious areas to make the car affordable for the average joe lol

that's what mazda does, they focus all their money in making the car look pretty but cut corners on other parts for the sake of prettiness

you will find led drls and other stuff on similar vehicles but they dont look as good as mazda interior or exterior, that's the harsh reality of average joe cars, you cannot get everything you want, any average joe car on the market is lacking in this or that aspect

you want all the bells and whistles, maybe is time to forget about mazda luxury poor attempts and step up to a real luxury car like bmw or mercedes

the harsh and crude reality is that 30k is POCKET CHANGE, it will not get you all the things you want in a new 2018 car. That's the harsh and painful reality. 30k for a new car is nothing. Its like a beater basically.

The average fella has to come to terms that whatever new regular people's car you can buy, will always be lacking in something, it will never be everything you want. Only when you step to 50k+ you get all that you want. Harsh reality but truth.

#5 · (Edited)
Have you been inside a new bmw or mercedes? I've seen the new ones, I swear, it makes this mazda 6 look like a cheap car. Sure, Mazda did a good job in improving the interior and exterior accents towards luxury, but it doesn't compare, those bmw and mercedes are on another level, is a different reality. 30k for a mazda won't get you everything you want.

Sure, Mazda put a turbo and all that, but the reality is, they are forced to stick to 25-35k target and this limits them IMMENSELY. They are forced to cut on corner on many aspects otherwise, they wouldn't be making a profit at all.

People like us who bought Mazda 6s were willing to sacrifice lack of power in exchange for a better interior and features. There other people out there who only care about power and they buy mustangs or camaro v6 with basic features.

If you want to have both, then you have to step to bmw, mercedes, audi.

If you can't afford these cars, then you have no right to complain. You should already know very well that Mazda cannot produce a perfect vehicles for 30k. A new 2018 vehicles for 30k cannot get you all that you want. There will always be compromises.

#7 ·
30k for 250hp/310 torques ain’t bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I wanted power I would just buy a mustang lol but then you are like any other mustang douche out there. At least, this car is not as common as others. And if you think about, you do't really need more than 200hp for real life situations. You will never use it for anything useful. 180-200hp is more than enough to pass cars if you need.

In the end, what it really boils down to is male ego. It is not surprise than people with big trucks and big engines are usually compensating for something they are lacking. You will never use those 300-400hp but it sure looks nice and intimidating to other drivers.

Only immature kids think about power and speed, that's all they care about, who has the biggest dick in a car lol

#11 ·
I hope you can post pictures, particularly about the fake LED. Item number 3 is different from mine, it's not manual. I have the diesel variant so I know it's not the same as yours.

Going back to item number 3, it might be good in the long run. I mean, the passenger doesn't need any memory seat position. Another thing, you are assured that it won't break easily since there are no motors or electronic parts that will fail.

An acquaintance of mine agreed on me, that manual seats are much better in terms of reliability. Yes, the memory function is great. However, if it breaks then it might be a problem to fix. Then again, a manual seat at that price range is a shame! I'm torn between the two...

Coming from CR-V 98 which has been maintained and now passed down to my brother, I have no complaints with the Mazda 6. Well, I have some but I can't think of it right now.
[emoji3]

#12 ·
I recently was driving around in a little BMW X3 and I found my 2015 sport interior to be nicer and better in every way. I’m a bit bias though because , to me, 2015 was the last year the 3rd gen had a nice interior. The newer ones look tacky to me.

#14 ·
the bmw interior is superior in every way in term quality, materials, features and technology

It may not be to your liking based on the way is designed, positioned and your bias to certain shapes and forms, but the fact of the matter is that is superior in quality. Not even the 2018 top of the line 6 is on the same level as this interior and features.

#18 ·
That’s what surprised me. It didn’t feel, look, sound, etc etc any better than my 2 year older Mazda sport trim. I was so happy to get back into my car after giving those keys back.

It made me wonder why people spend that amount of money on a bmw.

#19 ·
Oh it was faster, by quite a bit.

I didn't care for the shifter. At all. The intermittent start/stop was insanely annoying (can be disabled, but then why did you pay for it -- and you did, "standard" or not.) The built-in "always-on" nav was even more-annoying and low enough res to be IMHO almost cartoonish, with names I've never heard of for towns passing by, and the names they're actually known by missing. Never mind that I'm sure it's "connected" and blabbing where I'm going and went to god-knows-who. Turn on the defrost and it suddenly cooks you in the vehicle; I had to turn it on and off to modulate it (!) Yes, I can probably figure out how to stop that, but it wasn't intuitive -- at all. It should be for chrissake -- we're talking about defogging the windshield here!

Then there is BMW's penchant for doing idiotic things service-wise. The X5 has a reputation for this with a crank position sensor that cannot be changed without removing the engine as it's impossible to get a wrench on it with the engine in the car. That turns a $50 part into a $4,000 repair. Thanks guys. Do I know the 3 series has similar stupidities waiting? No, but I bet it does. It took GM years to cut similar crap out (e.g. spark plugs in certain vehicles.)

I kept coming back to the economics and fun factor. The 6 Sport I own was materially under half the price of the Bimmer. It gets better fuel economy, does not require premium fuel (even more money), is larger in interior volume (by quite a bit) and has a third pedal (not available anymore in the Bimmer.) Driving dynamics are surprisingly comparable, ex the additional power in the BMW. Oh, and I have a stereo in it that I chose, installed and am VERY happy with -- impossible in the Bimmer since it's got that integrated crap (to be fair so do the current-year Mazdas)

I "get it" that people buy cars for all sorts of reasons -- including to extend their penis, to show how much money they have and similar. I buy cars to transport me and my crap from place to place, which I do a LOT. TCO matters greatly to me simply due to the amount of driving I do; if I was an "average Joe" (or a "Sunday driver") I'd care much less, since fixed costs (e.g. depreciation, insurance, etc) would be a much, much higher percentage of the whole. But here the Bimmer loses too, since as a MUCH more-expensive car it will cost more to insure and, given the higher original price, depreciation will bite MUCH harder as well.

~7 mpg of real fuel economy difference over 100,000 miles is big. It's 3,333 gallons at 30mpg. At 37.2mpg (current "last 10" fill mpg average for me) it's 2,688 gallons. That's 645 gallons of fuel; at $2.50 each we're talking about $1,600 worth of gas that doesn't get paid for in the Mazda. Again, if you're a "Sunday driver" you probably don't care. When you put the miles on a vehicle that I do though it makes an utterly enormous difference in total operating expense. Do I choose to give up some 0-60 time for that? Duh. Never mind that with the sort of mileage I put on vehicles IF an ATX blows up on me the economic damage will be insane compared with the cost of a clutch if and when it eventually wears out (for comparison my Jetta, now my daughter's, has over 250k on the OE clutch -- so if know how to drive a stick then no, they don't fail very often. My "6" shows no signs of distress at 150k. Oh, and the cost of a drain/fill of gearbox oil is both trivial and easy to do.)

If and when the HX engine shows up I'll probably buy one after it's been on the market for a year or so (just to make sure they didn't do something insanely stupid and it's a total train wreck reliability wise), assuming they don't whack me with a ridiculous premium for the engine. Why? Because that's ANOTHER 10mpg worth of economy I can expect from the vehicle and in three or four years that's ANOTHER $2,000 worth of fuel that I don't burn. An honest 50mpg on the highway is something that my Jetta can achieve if you keep your right foot off the loud pedal; being able to do that in a gas vehicle with the far lower cost per gallon (today) of gas .vs. diesel fuel will be an absolute GIFT.

#22 ·
Oh it was faster, by quite a bit.

I didn't care for the shifter. At all. The intermittent start/stop was insanely annoying (can be disabled, but then why did you pay for it -- and you did, "standard" or not.) The built-in "always-on" nav was even more-annoying and low enough res to be IMHO almost cartoonish, with names I've never heard of for towns passing by, and the names they're actually known by missing. Never mind that I'm sure it's "connected" and blabbing where I'm going and went to god-knows-who. Turn on the defrost and it suddenly cooks you in the vehicle; I had to turn it on and off to modulate it (!) Yes, I can probably figure out how to stop that, but it wasn't intuitive -- at all. It should be for chrissake -- we're talking about defogging the windshield here!

Then there is BMW's penchant for doing idiotic things service-wise. The X5 has a reputation for this with a crank position sensor that cannot be changed without removing the engine as it's impossible to get a wrench on it with the engine in the car. That turns a $50 part into a $4,000 repair. Thanks guys. Do I know the 3 series has similar stupidities waiting? No, but I bet it does. It took GM years to cut similar crap out (e.g. spark plugs in certain vehicles.)

I kept coming back to the economics and fun factor. The 6 Sport I own was materially under half the price of the Bimmer. It gets better fuel economy, does not require premium fuel (even more money), is larger in interior volume (by quite a bit) and has a third pedal (not available anymore in the Bimmer.) Driving dynamics are surprisingly comparable, ex the additional power in the BMW. Oh, and I have a stereo in it that I chose, installed and am VERY happy with -- impossible in the Bimmer since it's got that integrated crap (to be fair so do the current-year Mazdas)

I "get it" that people buy cars for all sorts of reasons -- including to extend their penis, to show how much money they have and similar. I buy cars to transport me and my crap from place to place, which I do a LOT. TCO matters greatly to me simply due to the amount of driving I do; if I was an "average Joe" (or a "Sunday driver") I'd care much less, since fixed costs (e.g. depreciation, insurance, etc) would be a much, much higher percentage of the whole. But here the Bimmer loses too, since as a MUCH more-expensive car it will cost more to insure and, given the higher original price, depreciation will bite MUCH harder as well.

~7 mpg of real fuel economy difference over 100,000 miles is big. It's 3,333 gallons at 30mpg. At 37.2mpg (current "last 10" fill mpg average for me) it's 2,688 gallons. That's 645 gallons of fuel; at $2.50 each we're talking about $1,600 worth of gas that doesn't get paid for in the Mazda. Again, if you're a "Sunday driver" you probably don't care. When you put the miles on a vehicle that I do though it makes an utterly enormous difference in total operating expense. Do I choose to give up some 0-60 time for that? Duh. Never mind that with the sort of mileage I put on vehicles IF an ATX blows up on me the economic damage will be insane compared with the cost of a clutch if and when it eventually wears out (for comparison my Jetta, now my daughter's, has over 250k on the OE clutch -- so if know how to drive a stick then no, they don't fail very often. My "6" shows no signs of distress at 150k. Oh, and the cost of a drain/fill of gearbox oil is both trivial and easy to do.)

If and when the HX engine shows up I'll probably buy one after it's been on the market for a year or so (just to make sure they didn't do something insanely stupid and it's a total train wreck reliability wise), assuming they don't whack me with a ridiculous premium for the engine. Why? Because that's ANOTHER 10mpg worth of economy I can expect from the vehicle and in three or four years that's ANOTHER $2,000 worth of fuel that I don't burn. An honest 50mpg on the highway is something that my Jetta can achieve if you keep your right foot off the loud pedal; being able to do that in a gas vehicle with the far lower cost per gallon (today) of gas .vs. diesel fuel will be an absolute GIFT.

I had to turn that on-off feature off after this first red light. The x3 was super jerky and it felt like it was broken. Crazy annoying.

The whole experience left me wondering why people want a bmw.

#20 ·
This makes your car feel like it has no soul almost.
Really? No soul because the LED lights weren't quite what you'd thought they're be? What a strange thing to get dramatic about. Sounds like you're just having buyer's remorse for paying $30k for a metal box with wheels (what all cars are, really) and you're digging deep to project your regrets onto the car. With the overabundance of info on the internet, there's no excuse to be surprised about any feature on a car before you buy it.

Reactions: Mz6GreyGhost
#23 ·
I mean how are you going to cherry pick that very specific line?

I didn't say the LED is what gives it soul, i am saying the LED are what gives the car its signature look.

I am sure you and everyone else here can identify almost majority of cars on the road just by looking at the lights.

What i am saying is that it doesn't make sense to take away it's trademark LED look that almost every Mazda 6 in every generation 2014+ has.

It's like you going to buy the new Nissan GTR, and you find out the new one doesn't have the 4 signature LED breaklights or finding out that only some models have the trademark lights.

I am 100% certain you can identify Mustang,GTR,T86,Rav4 just by looking at the headlights. Because thats their style and signature.

Its like every Cadillacs don't have those humongous LED light bars right? /s

They put chrome cut outs in the exact shape of the real DRL, that's what so weird. They took the time and effort to put fake DRL that looks just like the higher ends.

#27 ·
In my case, I didn't have time to do it. Originally, I was about to purchase the CR-V SX released last year. I waited for a couple of months until I learned that it won't be shipped.

I stumbled upon this Mazda 6 diesel on the internet. I liked the way it looks so I called all the dealers near my place to get the best deal. I didn't even get to see the actual unit until it was delivered!

I know you might find it crazy but I was in hurry last December of 2017. There was a huge tax to be implemented on that following year so without any test-drive and again, without seeing the actual unit I paid for it.

It's like comparing an apple to an orange if you ask me. I mean, the new CR-V is totally different with Mazda. The controls for the head unit is not as easy with Mazda. And all I can say is, I'm truly satisfied with my purchase.

I'd really like to see this fake LED so I hope you can post a picture. I believe I have a different model and I'm not yet familiar with all the models of Mazda.

#25 ·
We need to get a few things straight here.
On the GRAND Touring model, the headlights-DRL are not the same as the Reserve model or the Signature model. Instead your headlights have a big silver chrome cutout of a fake LED DRL, which doesn't light up. Which makes NO sense at all, your headlight doesn't have the signature halo ring light, which almost EVERY single Mazda 6 has, even in previous generations.
The "Halo" ring LEDs didn't exist AT ALL in the 1st or 2nd-gen models. I know this since I bought the top-trim versions of each of them.

As for the current-gen versions, the halos were only available on the top-trim GTs. No lower-spec model had them, unless you went aftermarket.

For '18, the top trim is NOT the GT anymore, it's the Signature, which has the halos, and are also found on the Reserve (which is sitting in my driveway as I type).
You can buy the "Higher End" headlights for $1,300 EACH online. What a joke.
Or... Get a Reserve for a 30K negotiated price (which I did), and get a "higher end" car than the GT.
And to make some buyers feel bad, some Model 6 have ACP/AA installed before they buy it. I have seen a 6 Sports with ACP/AA which starts at 21k, while some Signatures models doesn't have this feature.
That's because the first few shipments of '18s did NOT have AA/CP installed from the factory, it was introduced as an add on for certain-model '18s AFTER it was released to dealers this summer. Some dealers (such as mine) then decided to install AA/CP on cars in their inventory, sort of a way to "practice" for actual customer cars that return to get it installed on theirs. I'm not sure how this makes buyers "feel bad" since the option is there to have it installed IF you buy the correct trim.
The reason i don't call these features because these should be the standard, to have fake LED light bars in a 2018 car from Japan is almost an insult, when other competitors do none of that.
Hah! That's hilarious! If you think competitors are 100% honest with their ad campaigns for their vehicles, then they've got you fooled as much as Mazda supposedly had with you.

I agree with others on here. It seems that you didn't research as thoroughly as you thought regarding certain features on certain models, and you didn't buy what you really wanted as a result.

#28 · (Edited)
JUST PAY $500 for the aftermarket led drl headlights lmao

calcanous and I are living proof of that

be styling, flexxing and maxxin on a budget without buying the top of the line model

had these headlights for almost a year and so far, they are still crystal clear which is more than i can say for the stock touring headlights which hazed for no reason, but then again, i put a sealant on these headlights like every 2 weeks

#30 ·
I have to echo what others on here have said, had you spent a little time researching the differences with the GT model vs the Reserve and Signature trims, you might've made a different decision. Sure it has a 1-2k price premium but you get real leather, ventilated seats, power seats on both sides with memory on the driver's side, all LED exterior lighting, heated steering, etc etc. For me it was a no brainer. Especially since the value of all the upgrades you get in the Reserve trim far exceeds the small amount of extra that it costs. I have no regrets with my purchase.

#31 ·
I'll throw my 2 cents in on the BMW vs Mazda comparison. The wife and I were recently shopping for a new CUV for her and, surprisingly (to me at least) 2016 BMW X1's were in the same price range as 2016 Mazda CX-5s in GT trim. We both felt the interior of the BMW was very nice, but honestly the Mazda felt better and was more ergonomically agreeable. Handling wise both were on par, but the Bimmer clearly had the HP advantage. She wanted a CUV that handles well and gets good fuel economy.

In the end we eliminated the BMW due to the anticipated high maintenance costs, premium requirement and abysmal front passenger comfort. Mercedes, Lexus and BMW owners may look down their long noses at Mazda, but neither of us have issue with that.

#32 ·
Yep. That premium fuel requirement is murderous over time on the wallet. I simply cannot get past that with any vehicle I intend to use as daily transportation. If it's a "fun" car that I only intend to drive for grins and giggles, or for that matter one I intend to track then I don't care. But otherwise it's a huge problem as around here premium is anywhere from 50 cents/gal to a buck/gal more money! That's NOT a small difference.

BMW is also not shy whatsoever about charging out the wazoo for scheduled maintenance. And, as I noted earlier, beware of "surprises" (very hard to access things that can and do break, for instance) once the warranty has run out.

#33 ·
Before I got the 18 sig i looked around at a lot of other cars. Including BMW. Honestly, I couldn't see any reason to buy one for 30K more than the 6. I also looked at a 2013 535M sport with a stick. But even that unicorn left me a bit cold. While the 6 cylinder engine was nice. It was way too refined and disconnected and the interior wasn't that impressive.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#34 · (Edited)
You can't get a bmw for 30k lmao

If you were considering a used one, then it doesn't count. You were looking at a 18 Mazda 6, therefore, a bmw comparison should ALSO be a 2018 one. Talking apple with oranges.

If you have to buy a used one, then simply, the bmw is not for you, that's the harsh reality. There is a reason why people lease them for 2 years, get rid of them, and lease another one, so another sucka can eat up all the maintenance bills after that.

If you going to buy a bmw, it has to be NEW and you better have enough money to spare where maintenance is like maintaining a corolla for you, otherwise, you can't afford the car.

Thus, the 6 is a great choice for peasants like us who just want a similar experience at a fraction of the cost.

Of course, most people here will choose the 6, is easier on the wallet in all aspects.

But that's exactly what makes bmw so popular. Imagine if owning one became like having a Mazda or Honda, it would lose its appeal. Any sucka out there could buy and maintain one because it would in their reach. Since the car and its maintenance cost is out of reach for the regular fella, it keeps its high status and appeal in society.

Many people benefit from owning this vehicle due to the image it gives you. Real rich people and people who are in debt up to their eyeballs and just pretending. That's the appeal and the main reason why MANY people would choose a base model bmw series over a super equipped mazda 6 any day.

Even though the bmw is more expensive and probably has fewer features than the 6.

#37 ·
This seems relevant here with all this talk about BMWs...

#38 · (Edited)
this is actually stereotype created by the butthurt people who can't afford a bmw or nice cars for that matter, so they negatively paint all BMW drivers as douchebags. Ironically, this happen in other aspects of life. People who have riches, expensive material possessions, etc are often depicted as douchebags and jerks by the non rich crowd. It is a form of envy and jealousy. It is a form of consolation for the unsuccessful individual. It makes you feel better to see the other person who is doing better than you as a douche evil person.

I've seen plenty of shitty drivers in Hondas or Toyotas, but of course, since they are poor/regular everyday people, they get a "free pass", they are allowed to get away with it, but if someone has money or a nice car, and they don't make a turn signal or cut you off, suddenly, he is a douche with money.

This is called the poor people bias. They see people who have money or people who are doing better than them as evil individuals. It is a way to make you feel better about your own failure.

#40 ·
You guys should stop feeding the troll. He is the resident idiot who is unfortunately tolerated by the moderator at the cost of the entire forum. Easiest way is to add the moron to the ignore list and be done with it. Unfortunately when people quote him, those of us who have him on the ignore list are forced to read the few lines of his tripe.

#46 ·
A while back I was seriously considering trading my 2000 Miata for an older '78 Porsche 911 SC. I got to know several guys at the exotic car dealership (which also goes through nice BMWs on the regular) and even attended a track day put on by the local PCA. It was kinda funny that even these guys thought Bimmer owners were generally elitist. One general example: the PCA guys really didn't care what you drove as I took my Miata out for the first time at their event. The next BMW club event was strictly for that brand - no others allowed.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a "poor/regular person" with no status in life since I only drive lowly Mazdas, Fords and Aprilias. Oh the shame!

#57 ·
"this is the best car I have even driven, and I love it to death."

Enjoy your new 6!

Upgrade things to your taste as time and finances permit.

Every car that I've ever owned (and over 30-years of owning cars; I've owned more than a few) has been a compromise in one way or another.

The true tests are:

1. When you're walking across a parking lot and you see your car from a distance do you think to yourself "That's a great looking car" and it's mine!
2. Would you trust the car to get your GF, spouse (both of them) or child home safely in a pouring rain/snow storm.
3. If your boss came up to you tomorrow and said "I need you to go to New York (or California), and you have a week to get there". The company will pay for either your airline flight (cheapest airline and seating) or pay you mileage on your car, fuel, food and lodging for the trip. Which would you choose? Airline="Yes"/Car="No"

If you chose "No" to any of these questions; you bought the wrong car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.