Mazda 6 Forums banner

Tips For Good Brake Maintenance

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Get Inline 
#1 · (Edited)
- Regularly lubricate your sliding pins, especially if you live in an area that uses salt during the winter

- Your pad wears unevenly when using your brakes softly for a long time. Occaisonally, get out onto an empty highway at night, go 100KM/H and press the brakes as hard as you can without locking your tires or engaging ABS. DO NOT come to a full stop, you WILL warp your rotors. This will help wear your pad evenly and improve pedal feel by getting rid of pad deposits.

- Take a high pressure washer and regularly spray the inside of your wheel making sure to properly clean your brakes all around. Try to avoid spraying too much directly into the caliper. This will wash out brake dust that has accumulated further improving pedal feel and making your brakes feel smoother.

- If your brakes are squeaky, take everything apart and give them a good clean with a wire brush, a rag and some brake cleaner.

- If you only need new pads, or your rotors are warped but still have life left in them, all you need to do is resurface your current ones.

- Always make sure to full bleed your brakes, the proper two person method, at all four corners, at least every 60K miles

Use German/European OEM pads such as Textar, Pagid, Jurid, Ferodo

See less See more
#2 ·
My dealership refuses to resurface rotors. Actually both dealers near me. It easier (more money)for them to just order new ones and just slap them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on the quality of our OEM rotors I wouldn't really bother anyways unless there is lots of material left.

I'll be replacing my brakes with Textar pads/rotors all around soon.

#3 ·
Based on the quality of our OEM rotors I wouldn't really bother anyways unless there is lots of material left.

I'll be replacing my brakes with Textar pads/rotors all around soon.

I had them replace the pads all around but didn’t want to bother with new rotors because I haven’t experienced anything bad yet with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.