Tips For Good Brake Maintenance - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Tips For Good Brake Maintenance

- Regularly lubricate your sliding pins, especially if you live in an area that uses salt during the winter

- Your pad wears unevenly when using your brakes softly for a long time. Occaisonally, get out onto an empty highway at night, go 100KM/H and press the brakes as hard as you can without locking your tires or engaging ABS. DO NOT come to a full stop, you WILL warp your rotors. This will help wear your pad evenly and improve pedal feel by getting rid of pad deposits.

- Take a high pressure washer and regularly spray the inside of your wheel making sure to properly clean your brakes all around. Try to avoid spraying too much directly into the caliper. This will wash out brake dust that has accumulated further improving pedal feel and making your brakes feel smoother.

- If your brakes are squeaky, take everything apart and give them a good clean with a wire brush, a rag and some brake cleaner.

- If you only need new pads, or your rotors are warped but still have life left in them, all you need to do is resurface your current ones.

- Always make sure to full bleed your brakes, the proper two person method, at all four corners, at least every 60K miles

Use German/European OEM pads such as Textar, Pagid, Jurid, Ferodo

Last edited by Get Inline; 09-20-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
- Regularly lubricate your sliding pins, especially if you live in an area that uses salt during the winter

- Your pad wears unevenly when using your brakes softly for a long time. Occaisonally, get out onto an empty highway at night, go 100KM/H and press the brakes as hard as you can without locking your tires or engaging ABS. DO NOT come to a full stop, you WILL warp your rotors. This will help wear your pad evenly and improve pedal feel by getting rid of pad deposits.

- Take a high pressure washer and regularly spray the inside of your wheel making sure to properly clean your brakes all around. Try to avoid spraying too much directly into the caliper. This will wash out brake dust that has accumulated further improving pedal feel and making your brakes feel smoother.

- If your brakes are squeaky, take everything apart and give them a good clean with a wire brush, a rag and some brake cleaner.

- If you only need new pads, or your rotors are warped but still have life left in them, all you need to do is resurface your current ones.

- Always make sure to full bleed your brakes, the proper two person method, at all four corners, at least every 60K miles

My dealership refuses to resurface rotors. Actually both dealers near me. It easier (more money)for them to just order new ones and just slap them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
My dealership refuses to resurface rotors. Actually both dealers near me. It easier (more money)for them to just order new ones and just slap them on.

Based on the quality of our OEM rotors I wouldn't really bother anyways unless there is lots of material left.

I'll be replacing my brakes with Textar pads/rotors all around soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Based on the quality of our OEM rotors I wouldn't really bother anyways unless there is lots of material left.

I'll be replacing my brakes with Textar pads/rotors all around soon.

I had them replace the pads all around but didnít want to bother with new rotors because I havenít experienced anything bad yet with them.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I had them replace the pads all around but didnít want to bother with new rotors because I havenít experienced anything bad yet with them.

You must resurface your rotors when replacing just the pads.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:

My main dealer would only supply new rotors. Their main goal was just to up sale me.

My 2nd dealer it would a waste to ďnot get new brake suppliesĒ at the same time.

So, I went with pads only.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
My main dealer would only supply new rotors. Their main goal was just to up sale me...........................................

You didn't answer the question. If they didn't resurface the rotors before adding in new pads I'm very curious to hear how your brakes felt like.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer the question. If they didn't resurface the rotors before adding in new pads I'm very curious to hear how your brakes felt like.

Smooth like butter. Fronts needed to be changed bad. The rears not so much but Iíd rather not have to go to the dealer again in 5k miles, so I had them changed too.

But , yes, smooth like butter.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I have had good results with 400 grit sandpaper and uniformly roughing the surface as I rotate the rotor. Far from my first choice in brake "resurfacing" but impressed with how it worked.

Bedding New Pads/Rotors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Not true unless they are warped. I replaced all the pads at 47K. Rotors are in good shape, no resurfacing done. Currently I put 10K on the new pads and brakes working great.
The Following User Says Thank You to S100Y For This Useful Post:
idrive (09-21-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page