Just got my MS6 'Bianca' home...Sorta. :/ - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethkid_MS6 View Post
Thanks all. What is still relatively new to me is turbo. Now, I know boost comes on demand, but how do you keep out of boost under 3000K? Like, it wouldn't be in boost unless you're hammering it. Right? (Sorry for the lack of knowledge. I've driven N/A's all my life. lol)
Boost is more or less based on throttle position. You can feather the throttle and never go into boost on an entire drive, but when you start to get on the throttle more you will feel the car pick up and start hauling ass, and maybe hear the turbo/bpv (kinda like a blow off- depending on the intake and inlet you are running, upgraded will give you a better whoosh sound, especially metal ones) while rowing through the gears.

But yeah, a boost gauge is a must have, my favorite is the prosport Evo series, costs less than $100 shipped and matches the sexy red interior perfectly. The guy above (Block8Head) sells these neat gauge pods for our car, great quality. Or you can put it in one of the heat/AC vents in the center dash..or grab a cheap gauge pod from eBay for $40 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2004 Mazda 6 Sport V6 MTX-Steel Grey

MSDS Headers/Ported Intake Manifolds + 1/2" Spacer/Injen CAI/3.7L OTB/TGNY TB Spacer/Magnaflow CBE/AWR 88 Mounts/Rotora H2 Ceramic Brakes//CF Evo Hood,Grill,Eyelids,Window Visors,Mirror Covers/CAR-LED Tails/35W 5000k HIDs/55W 6000k Integrated Fogs/LED Fogs/1000w Xplōd Amp/Two 800w 12" Xplōd Subs/15% Tints/18x8.5 +50 Kazera "CF" Rims/Hankook Ventus Evo 245/40/18

Future Mods:Powermod Tuner/Custom DoubleDin/BC Coils
The Following User Says Thank You to ctmazda For This Useful Post:
Dethkid_MS6 (01-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, nice car. Looks like the twin to my own. As everyone else has said it takes a while to get the clutch down pat. I did the same thing (first car in MTX) and I drove her home through the ass end of rush our heading out of the middle of Toronto with my wife blocking for me behind. Happy to say I made it home, but sadly stalled about 5 times and got to know that burning clutch smell. The e-brake trick is awesome especially when still getting used to the engagement point.
Another good point to note is that with the AWD you can't spin the tires (OK guys given enough horse power or slippery roads you can but I mean dry pavement) This can make launches a little trickey if you're trying to get going quickly but once you get used to playing with the clutch even these get better. Just takes time so don't get discouraged
The Following User Says Thank You to Snowtrax For This Useful Post:
Dethkid_MS6 (01-15-2013)
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOL,

@ctmazda ,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Mazdaspeed6: Gone

Need the pod for your gauge? Read here ======>
The Following User Says Thank You to block8head For This Useful Post:
ctmazda (01-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtrax View Post
Hey, nice car. Looks like the twin to my own. As everyone else has said it takes a while to get the clutch down pat. I did the same thing (first car in MTX) and I drove her home through the ass end of rush our heading out of the middle of Toronto with my wife blocking for me behind. Happy to say I made it home, but sadly stalled about 5 times and got to know that burning clutch smell. The e-brake trick is awesome especially when still getting used to the engagement point.
Another good point to note is that with the AWD you can't spin the tires (OK guys given enough horse power or slippery roads you can but I mean dry pavement) This can make launches a little trickey if you're trying to get going quickly but once you get used to playing with the clutch even these get better. Just takes time so don't get discouraged
Thanks a lot for the encouragement. That burning clutch smell really throws me off though. The biggest thing for me is worrying about the crappy mounts that everyone complains about. I don't wanna stall hard and potentially break something. I'm seriously determined to get it though. Especially because I need to start commuting to school starting next week.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Getting comfortable driving stick takes time. Unfortunately, this is one of the worst cars to try and learn on. Even with adjustment, it is still a grappy clutch with not a lot of apologies. I've driven more manual trans cars I can rattle off the top of my head and this has been the quirkiest one.

And as other have said, try to go easy on the boost. Especially in the higher gear/lower RPM scenarios. Try and use linear throttle input instead of mashing your foot down; this should help.

2006 Velocity Red Mica MS6 #06475

1994 Probe GT

The Following User Says Thank You to prdracing For This Useful Post:
Dethkid_MS6 (01-16-2013)
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Well, to everyone who's gonna read this, I actually had some help from my best friends dad today. He's got a 05' Altima 3.5L and he drives stick. He told me to give him 2hrs and he'd have me down pat on the basics. He was right. I didn't even stall once today. As for boosting in low rpms, that's gonna take some working on. I don't really speed around in this car yet, but I'm gonna have to make a conscious effort to stop before I start. I also really should get a boost gauge...though I have no idea how to install one. lol.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Well, to everyone who's gonna read this, I actually had some help from my best friends dad today. He's got a 05' Altima 3.5L and he drives stick. He told me to give him 2hrs and he'd have me down pat on the basics. He was right. I didn't even stall once today. As for boosting in low rpms, that's gonna take some working on. I don't really speed around in this car yet, but I'm gonna have to make a conscious effort to stop before I start. I also really should get a boost gauge...though I have no idea how to install one. lol.
Yayy! Good job You'll be a pro in no time! Special bonus once you are: You get to tease anyone who can't drive stick. ^_^

-insert overreaction here-

2013 Scion tC MTX Release Series 8.0 (1688 of 2000):

2005 Mazda6i MTX Hatch: Traded.

2004 Mazda6s MTX Hatch: Totaled.
2000 Dodge Neon ATX: Winter Beater
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Glad you are making good progress man. Its always nice having an experienced MTX guy give you pointers in person.

A boost gauge is really something to have. Its good to know that pressures are where they are supposed to be, at the right times.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

---
---
---
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

lol. Thanks guys. I was pretty proud of myself for a moment. It's fun having so much control of the car. It feels so much more involved.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
lol. Thanks guys. I was pretty proud of myself for a moment. It's fun having so much control of the car. It feels so much more involved.
So,that being said,will you go back to ATX?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App

K&N CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,HID driving & fog lights,DoubleDin stereo with NAV,VIS carbon fiber hood,Autoexe grill & lip,Motegui 18' rims with Hankook tires,speed6 brakes,Steel braided lines,TB coolant bipass,TB grounded,PKE alarm system,Mazdaspeed short shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page