Mazda 6 Forums banner

Disappointed

10K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  cpnfantstk 
#1 · (Edited)
Rude response from Mazda

I had a 2012 VW CC. VW extended warranties on several parts they knew to be problematic in their design. I had my VW fixed at no charge as it should be.

Mazda makes a defective product and will only cover it for the original warranty period. When I emailed them to complain here is the response:

Thank you for contacting the Mazda Customer Experience Center. I am sorry to hear your disappointment, but this is some of the risk involved with buying a used vehicle. The concern you are experiencing could have been present a majority of the time while the previous owner had the vehicle as that started almost 4 years ago, or it may have been only until you purchased the vehicle the concern became present with wind noise; however, there is no guarantee any TSB concern will happen on every single vehicle. Parts can fail and concerns on every vehicle can happen. Every product-related concern related to defect of a part grants coverage as a matter of being inside the applicable warranty; therefore, if you are outside of the warranty, you are now responsible for the repair.

If you have any questions or responses, you may reach me by replying directly to this e-mail.

Sincerely,
Andrew

So this known defect might have only started when I bought the car 5 days ago? I am highly :mad: about this response. He is also saying "hey the defective product we made, that failed so frequently we had to issue a TSB, might fail after the warranty period." Tough luck!

I'll make sure to test drive my next car for a much longer time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Their response didn't seem rude in the least. It's not a vehicle performance or safety issue, just a comfort one. It's well out of its warranty period and doesn't cause a safety risk, so I can't really see them wanting to foot the bill. Why on Earth are you contacting Mazda about it and not the dealer you bought it from?!

Reactions: idrive and GerryB
#4 ·
What's been missed is the OP bought a used car that is out of warranty and wants Mazda to make necessary repairs that he feels Mazda should be responsible for.

Seriously? If you think another car company is going to handle this situation any differently I would take that bet.

The response letter from Mazda is not even close to being rude as well.

#5 ·

The response letter from Mazda is not even close to being rude as well.
I agree, nothing rude in the letter.

Going back, there is really a risk whenever you buy a used car. Unless you know the person whom you are buying the car, there's no guarantee that the previous owner took great care in maintaining the car. As far as extended warranty is concerned, my experience is with Honda in replacing the airbag. My vehicle wasn't included in the model year but they made an effort to reach to their customers.

If the issue is not of a safety concern, I believe that no car company will be willing to replace parts through extended warranty.

#6 ·
Unless the car had a certified manufactuer warranty, then the dealer or extended warranty company is responsible.

The email sounded fair and balanced. The age of the car and lack of historical info (at least in the OPs post) make it impossible for Mazda to know the history of the vehicle. The "defect" could be the result of abuse and or damage over the car's life.

Go back to the dealer. Not Mazda's-or any manufacturer's- responsibility.

Also having originally owned a 2006 Mazda5 during the overheating exhuast recall, I can attest to Mazda's first class handling and treatment of a consumer for a safety concern. Also realize the dealer is your interface with the manufacturer.

Sorry but thats life.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Agree with everyone about working with the dealer first. And here’s where brand loyalty can come into play.... or at least using the same dealer for years. I’ve had over 15 Hondas. A few of them way out of warranty. My dealer continued to take care of a persistent clutch issue until I traded my 90 Accord at 85,000 miles. I had the stereo die at almost 60,000 in my 03 Accord .... no cost. 89 Prelude...corroded steering line (rough PA winters) repacked when the car was 14 years old. Not a full gratis job but rather than charge me the flat rate listed in the tech manual of 3 hours, they charged me actual ...45 min. Ditto a few things with my wife’s Lexus.

OP reminds me of clients at work. Client signs up for ABC software. Software version 2.0 comes out with new features. Client threatens to stop project because they want said new features. Tough beanie weanies... we’re already 6 months down the path of implementing V1.0. V2.0 requires new tools and additional effort. At some point you draw the line and say this is what we’ll do and this is what won't do. Same with car warranty. But just like a dealer, of the client has been around for awhile, or the team has been super great to work with, we might enable some of those new features.

#8 ·
Yes, i have had the same experience with my dealer. I've been a customer for over 18 years both from car purchases as well as most servicing. I dont go anywhere else. Do I pay more, maybe. But for the level of customer service I've received and "gratus" benefits they throw my way, it all balances out.

Customers who are promiscuous and jump from dealer to shop, to dealer forget that these guys are in business to make money and survive. You show loyalty and a good dealer will also show loyalty. Its a two way street.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I hope none of you are in customer service. Here is all the response should have been:

"We apologize for issue you are experiencing. Unfortunately Mazda has decided to only cover the defect through the original warranty period. Again we apologize for any inconvenience."

BTW I didn't even ask them to pay for it in my contact. I just indicated I thought it was wrong to only cover a known issue like that for 3/36. Let me repeat. I DID NOT ASK THEM TO PAY for it. Sure I hoped they would, but in no way demanded it, or even expected it. In fact, I had already ordered the parts. I just wanted them to know I thought it was bad business. I should have asked why did Mazda not fix the issue that was occurring with brand new cars the next model year, or the next, or the next?

To tell me, in essence "Hey it's a used car, tough luck" is rude. There was an apology for my disappointment, not the actual known problem. To further suggest it started when I bought it 5 days ago is also rude. Then to continue to ramble on about it with excuses that it "might not be every car" and further rub it in with "you are now responsible for the repair?" When I didn't even ask them to cover it is very rude.
I know it's a used car, and I know I am paying for it. Never done that before. Never had to dump hundreds into a used car I just bought either. (On a side note it's a shame most dealers don't let you take 'em overnight or weekend anymore).

But ya know I send food back when it's not right, and I bet all of you eat it...for loyalty lol Conditioned to accept inferior product and service...I mean all of you expect loyalty... before you will exhibit loyalty? LOL. But then y'all also say be loyal to them, so they can be loyal to you? Doesn't even make any sense. You think the customer has to show loyalty before a company will?!? Yikes.
How many Mazda's does one have to buy before Mazda should/will be "loyal" to you? How many of you think they didn't know their cars had this problem? It isn't a problem that takes time to reveal itself. It was happening on brand new vehicles! They certainly could have fixed it the next model year, or the one after, or the one after that. I previously owned a 626 and it was an awesome car.

One guy says I bet you jump from "dealer to dealer." I've moved twice recently. But even if I didn't, I buy cars I like, for the best deal. I like everything else about the car. I didn't even mention the road noise, lol.

Another says, "make money and survive." From April to June Mazda made just under 300 million dollars, over one year's time, that is $1.2 billion in profit. Even if they repaired every single 2016 Mazda 6 in the USA and it cost them $300 a car that would have been about $13.6 million

#14 ·
But ya know I send food back when it's not right, and I bet all of you eat it...for loyalty lol Conditioned to accept inferior product and service...I mean all of you expect loyalty... before you will exhibit loyalty? LOL. But then y'all also say be loyal to them, so they can be loyal to you?

That's fine, you're a negotiator type and a tougher customer to please.
Some people generally don't send food back fearing they may spit in the food or possibly worse, heard enough horror stories.

#12 · (Edited)
Just a brief comment about Mazda's solvency from a person who has no skill/ knowledge how to determine their relative solvency: they are a small Co... and are a minor % of the market player (2% of world car mkt?). They could be a take-over target. Their sale of the Mazda6 is not a resounding financial success (1/7th the sales volume of the Accord?) and you can see that accordingly there is not a great amount of "largesse" in the design/build quality. Reliable... yes; but built to a chosen quality level and no more... I am not necessarily supporting the form they took in their e mail to you but I don't think they reasonably should have paid, here. However I know you did not ask them to.

#13 ·
Adding to this, the OP is passing a complaint on to the original manufacturer concerning an issue it has no control over, that being wind noise on a used car. Any number of things could have happened to that car that were fixed by entities that don't document the repairs with the manufacturer, to wit a DIY owner with limited tools in their garage. Mazda was not out of line in their response.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#15 ·
You started this thread thinking you were right and members would agree... it didn't happen that way and now you are upset about it???

TSB's are issued to cover non-safety defects and they usually apply during the warranty period. Some might be extended (i.e. cracked dashboards on the Toyota Sienna) but some others won't. There is a rubber strip that breaks on the Pathfinder, TSB was issued to replace them within the original 3 year warranty... mine was slightly past the mileage when it failed and it sucked but at the end, the vehicle was out of warranty.

Reactions: TalonTsi90
#17 ·
You started this thread thinking you were right and members would agree... it didn't happen that way and now you are upset about it???
IDK if I am upset. Well maybe I am upset that consumers have been made to feel like they are doing companies a favor by shopping with them. That consumers have been so conditioned to just bend over and take it.

The person that owned this Mazda could not have possibly not noticed the noise. Yet they just accepted it. I road in the back and it is coming from the exact spot the TSB addresses. The TSB was issued in 2018, so all of the 14's, and most of the 15's, would be out of warranty anyway.

This isn't a dashboard that may eventually crack. They were rolling off the assembly line like this.

#16 ·
Why did you guys fall for this clickbait?

Reactions: TalonTsi90
#21 ·
Finally catching up here.

TSBs are public information and include all coverage details. While I don't expect everyone to read every TSB on a car before purchasing, it's absolutely not Mazda's fault you failed to do so.

5 minutes on this website would have told you about the wind noise problem, pointed you at the TSB, and shown you that the car you were looking at was out of warranty for it. Don't be upset hearing the facts.

#22 ·
There are these kind of threads on every forum, every manufacturer.

Yes, Mazda is a business out to make money. No, their response wasn't unreasonable or rude given you're just some random guy with a used car out of warranty. Going to a dealer would make more sense in this case anyway, since they have to perform the repair. If they want to good will the repair, that's on them.

Reactions: GerryB
#26 ·
I have nosympathy for the OP. None. This is not a safety issue. This is a nuisance.

Once upon a time, before the internet, we actually had to physically test cars and we had no outside data that really benefitted the process. Not only that, cars built before the 2000's were absolute junk. The only good cars were Camry's (UGH, boring grampa cars). Pretty much everything built/designed in NA was garbage. Safety flaws were barely dealt with, never mind such minor stuff as wind noise.

Am I far too upset about this? Sure. But, can we actually all collectively grow a set of whateveryouprefertocallyours and quit bitching on the internet over buyer's remorse. You bought a car you thought you would like but you don't. We get it. Move on.

#28 ·
Ford makes the most junk it is just the sheer volume that people buy that prevent the stats from looking worse. Far too many people blinded by the blue. Chevy has made the best trucks since the mid 2000's, ask anyone that works on them. Chrysler (FIAT) still hands down makes the best diesel pickups. The "Powerjoke" steals so much money there should be weekly class action suits.

To me, they are ALL junk.

#30 ·
I'm with you. I bought mine because it's hard to find anything with a MT. I bought it brand new in 09. One of the first things I noticed what that there was a clanking noise when I hit the breaks after changing directions, R to F for example. I took it to the dealer. They told me "this is what you need and it will cost $xx." I also noticed a paint blemish on the hood and noticed the there was problems shifting. Told me the paint isn't their problem. They tried doing something with the shifter and that didn't work.

#34 ·
Byakuya, would it surprise you to know I am born/bred in good ole Worcester? Might that explain my lack of tact and civility, LOL!!!!

Anyhow, that is good advice. It is easy to find this stuff out, literally should take less than 5 minutes to find out all the bad things about any car with a good internet connection.

#37 ·
The TSB did not fix the issue. My girl's 2017 Hyundai Accent has less wind noise!

AND I cannot update navigation SD card...tried with two computers and two browsers.

Finally I am only getting 31.4 mpg according to onboard computer on almost all highway driving.

#38 ·
SOunds like it's time to trade in for a Hyundai Accent?!?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.