JBL GTO 629 replacement for stock speakers - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
JBL GTO 629 replacement for stock speakers

Hi. I own a Mazda 6 2014 model with a non bose system which i just installed a JBL Basspro underseat sub. I received my new JBL GTO 629 a few weeks ago but now i cant make up my mind whether i want to replace the stock subs in the front doors with the new ones because i fair the JBL GTO's wont have as heavy bass.

Instead im considering replacing the rear door speakers with the JBL instead as i figured the rear door speakers are quite bad.

Have anyone replaced the front door speakers with either the GTO 629 or something similar and felt a lose in bass or just generally know how well the GTO plays compared to stock mazda 6 woofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiannius View Post
Hi. I own a Mazda 6 2014 model with a non bose system which i just installed a JBL Basspro underseat sub. I received my new JBL GTO 629 a few weeks ago but now i cant make up my mind whether i want to replace the stock subs in the front doors with the new ones because i fair the JBL GTO's wont have as heavy bass.

Instead im considering replacing the rear door speakers with the JBL instead as i figured the rear door speakers are quite bad.

Have anyone replaced the front door speakers with either the GTO 629 or something similar and felt a lose in bass or just generally know how well the GTO plays compared to stock mazda 6 woofers?
Where did you install the jbl bassprosl? Under the passenger seat? And how does it sound, since you have the jbl bassprosl for bass, I think would be OK replacing the door speakers. I wanted to get a under seat sub but seems like only the pioneer and Kenwood would fit, I saw the dimensions for the basspro and it looked border line and wasn't sure so I really want to know if it fits.

2016 Mazda 6 i Touring/6 speed Manuel Pearl White
35% Tints, LED interior/license plate/reverse lights
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my setup:

All four doors Pioneer TS-A1676R

Front tweeters replaced with Powerbass 3.5 SM

Subwoofer in the back - Rockville RWS12CA - Powered 12 inch sub.

Stock amp for the cab speakers

--

EQ setting

+3 for treble
+2 for bass

--

Overall very clear sound and kicking bass. Actually the bass is turned down because it was a bit too "kicking" for me.

The Pioneers definitely need a separate amp to work to their full potential but had no time to re-wire everything.

The Rockville performs very well although it can get overheated and shuts down for 3-4min. It happened a couple times during last summer (I am in SoCal - so it can get hot :-D). However the slim case really doesn't take any space. I actually still can carry my son's bike + two scooters in the trunk or pack the entire family + two dogs (one in kennel) for the weekend rides to grammy's house.

--

Here is my review on the Powerbass 3.5 speakers:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost023 View Post
Where did you install the jbl bassprosl? Under the passenger seat? And how does it sound, since you have the jbl bassprosl for bass, I think would be OK replacing the door speakers. I wanted to get a under seat sub but seems like only the pioneer and Kenwood would fit, I saw the dimensions for the basspro and it looked border line and wasn't sure so I really want to know if it fits.
The sub is under the passenger seat and fits perfect, could actually fit a bigger sub under the seat. The driver side seat has a amp if im not mistaken so that leaves less space for a sub.
What i found out after a few weeks of playing music via AUX is that the basspro doesnt have that punch that the mid bass in the front doors does. So i will be replacing the rear door speakers with the GTO 629's as ive heard that there isnt much sound in the back seats, might be because theres so much bass between the tweeters in the dash and the rear seats.

If i were to replace the front door speakers id install subs there instead or atleast speakers with a really punchy bass as the basspro dont give that kick i hoped it did. But it works really well with the stock speakers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
You shot yourself in the head with the dash speaker replacement; that's why your bass lacks punch.

Read my thread on this and get some bass blockers in the dash speakers. The reason is that those speakers are open-back and if you don't do this you are CANCELING a LARGE amount of your mid-bass with an exactly out-of-phase bass emission coming from the REAR of those speakers into the passenger compartment from behind the dashboard! The exact values you want vary with your setup and you may need to experiment a bit.

An under-seat sub will never have the kick of a large powered sub but (1) it doesn't require the dedicated power of one either and (2) it also doesn't eat your trunk space. And in terms of balance, it's far better anyway.

Fix the dash speaker feed with those bass blockers before you go further. You might find you don't need to change anything else out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
You shot yourself in the head with the dash speaker replacement; that's why your bass lacks punch.

Read my thread on this and get some bass blockers in the dash speakers. The reason is that those speakers are open-back and if you don't do this you are CANCELING a LARGE amount of your mid-bass with an exactly out-of-phase bass emission coming from the REAR of those speakers into the passenger compartment from behind the dashboard! The exact values you want vary with your setup and you may need to experiment a bit.

An under-seat sub will never have the kick of a large powered sub but (1) it doesn't require the dedicated power of one either and (2) it also doesn't eat your trunk space. And in terms of balance, it's far better anyway.

Fix the dash speaker feed with those bass blockers before you go further. You might find you don't need to change anything else out.
I havent replaced any speakers yet, ive only added a under seat sub. The JBL Basspro sl is the one that lacks punch, thats why im keeping the stock mid bass speakers in the front doors. But i will be replacing the rear door speakers with the JBL's gto 629 as i feel the two tweeters in the dash doesnt sound as well in the back seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page