Podcast app + Navigation on iOS - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjhornsby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Thumbs up Podcast app + Navigation on iOS

As I've noted in too many other threads to count, I hate the NNG Mazda nav system. I use Waze on my iPhone 6. Waze is pretty awesome. The UI/UX blew me away the first time I used it.

I also listen to a lot of podcasts with Downcast. Until very recently, when Waze would speak a direction the podcast would continue to play behind Waze. This was especially annoying when there was a direction onto a highway with multiple names, resulting in a series of 10-15 second long interruptions of cross-talk from the two apps. This means you need to switch back to Downcast, and rewind the podcast (skip back 15+ seconds), then switch back to Waze (to get Waze back on the screen) to pick up where Waze started yapping.

Something recently changed in either Downcast, Waze, iOS or a combination of those. Downcast will now automatically pause while Waze is speaking, and then resume. It's not perfect in that it doesn't always resume like it is supposed to, but it probably works correctly 85-90% of the time. It's pretty sweet. (If you have the speed hack enabled on the Mazda system, you can just push the play/pause button on the screen to resume.)

I have noticed that music apps like Spotify and Amazon music are not paused, but their volume is automatically reduced while Waze was speaking. That behavior is nothing new, but it is interesting that those behave differently (no pause) than Downcast. I don't need or want the music paused, so that works out great.

I tried the Overcast app a while back, and I used to use the built in Apple podcast app but didn't like either one of those nearly as much as Downcast. They may behave similar to Downcast now, I don't know.

If you listen to podcasts and use your phone for navigation, for this feature alone it's worth checking out Downcast.

Downcast
Bluewolf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Podcasts are my go to choice of entertainment while driving. I've tried using apple's app, so that the files would end up in the root directory in the infotainment system...then I tried stitcher, that seems like a lot of other info to sort through to get to my podcasts. I'll have to check out Downcast, I've been using Pod Cruncher for the last few years.

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page