'16 GT - High Beam Control + Leaving Home Lights, 2 features that don't play nice - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation '16 GT - High Beam Control + Leaving Home Lights, 2 features that don't play nice

So, ever since seeing the menu option within the vehicle's lighting options, I was curious about the following functions:

Coming Home Lights
Leaving Home Lights

I've figured out that the Coming Home Lights means, when you turn the car off, the headlights will turn off after a configurable timeout period. This seems to function whether your lights are in the AUTO or ON position.

Leaving Home was a little more vague. Supposed to turn some lights on when you unlock the car. I finally read the manual carefully and determined HOW exactly to get this feature to work:

Turn the lights setting to either PARKING LIGHTS or ON.
Lock the car, wait for the timeout period for headlights to turn off ("Coming Home").
Now, unlock the car.
Headlights, LEDs, and grille illumination will come on, in addition to the interior lighting.

THAT'S GREAT! It looks awesome.
BUT THERE'S A FEW PROBLEMS ---

1) Keeping your headlights settings to either parking lights or ON, means you're driving around during the day with your full headlights on like an idiot.

2) To use the HIGH BEAM CONTROL FEATURE, the headlights MUST be in the AUTO setting, and ONLY in the auto setting.

Therefore, it seems like these 2 features just miss each other...
Anyone have thoughts on getting best of both worlds?
AUTO position is great because you don't have to think about toggling your lights on/off, AND it enables HBC. But then you miss out on the otherwise great Leaving Home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Not sure about the idiot part. I drive full time, except at night, with my lights in the parking lights on position, my full headlights are not on, only the front and rear parking lights as well as the full LED package up front, grill illumination included, no headlights. At night I switch to auto and then of course everything is on that should be. Soon the laws will be changed for DRL's to include rear lights to be on not just fronts, talk of even getting rid of headlight switch all together. I find that running parking lights on all the time lights up my front and back and the cool front LED package is on. I don't find turning the switch from parking back to auto too much of a challenge.

Marbles
2106 Mazda 6 GT Tech
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
...you're driving around during the day with your full headlights on like an idiot.
20 years ago before DRLs became the thing, yeah -- people thought you were odd for driving with your headlights on during the day. I did it anyway. The point is to make yourself more visible to oncoming traffic. I don't think there's anything idiot about it. It's a safety issue.

I'm having to get used to the auto setting in my M6. I like it, but all my previous cars were manual control. It was force of habit to put on my seatbelt and turn on the headlights before pulling away.
DrFeelGood and UNLTD1487 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
The settings for both features do seem to be in conflict. Perhaps the manual isn't 100% accurate. You should try to leave the lights in AUTO, lock the car, and then see if the headlights come on when you unlock it. I would think there's a way to set and forget everything and not have to toggle everything when you get in and out. :-/

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:15 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I know Your point.
Facelifting no 2 form 2016 repaired that feautre.

On our ganeration (face lifting no 1 - my car is from January 2016) this option sucks...

I'm still looking is any way to unlock "Leaving Home Lights" with "AUTO" option on my shifter. Ofcourse Mazda says its imposible (but many other options they said are imposible are unlocked by others smart friends)...

Konrad Maksymilian Bak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had similar problems with my -17 M6. Sometimes the leaving home lights worked couple of times and then stopped. Sometimes pressing the unlock button twice turned the lights on. I never found out the logic behind the leaving home lights. I talked to my dealer and they noticed there was a dashboard update missing from my car. I took the car to the shop and they did the update which took about 30 mins. After that the leaving home lights have turned on everytime after pressing the unlock button on the key fob. I keep the light switch in AUTO position all the time.

Zoom Zoom!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Canadian cars have had Daytime Running Lights (DRL) mandatory since the early 90's they are lower output but improve visibility for oncoming vehicles. This has worked great when the dash lights didn't light up unless the headlights were switched on. Unfortunately now most dashes have lights all the time and we have lots of people driving in the dark without the headlights switched on which means there are no tail lights visible and the lower output means they cannot see forward as well either. Having all cars with automatic on headlights would not be a bad thing and would even reduce costs for manufacturers.

North to South and back again.
You can never have too much light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by northzone View Post
Unfortunately now most dashes have lights all the time and we have lots of people driving in the dark without the headlights switched on which means there are no tail lights visible and the lower output means they cannot see forward as well either.
I see this all the time. I think the DRL make the problem even that much worse because when people get in the car there is at least some light facing forward and they don't think to turn the lights on. I'm for the all auto lights idea with the ability to perhaps override for one drive cycle say for checking if lights work duri g the daytime.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 819 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
The '17 CX-5 that I had as a loaner had this feature, and the Leaving Home feature only worked with the ON setting as well.

How or why this feature wouldn't be included on AUTO from day one is a Fail on Mazda.

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I see this all the time. I think the DRL make the problem even that much worse because when people get in the car there is at least some light facing forward and they don't think to turn the lights on. I'm for the all auto lights idea with the ability to perhaps override for one drive cycle say for checking if lights work duri g the daytime.
When I started driving with my headlamps on (about 10 years ago) I was pleased with the dramatic reduction in the number of times a vehicle would pull out in front of me.
The problem of these newer photo luminescent gauges is the older folks are programmed to see light on the dash as "lights on" when really it is not the case anymore,

The indicator below is your friend.

It illuminates when your headlights are on.

Happy Motoring

-Idiot driver

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page