Racing Beat has arrived - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOx75 View Post
Is this the same muffler as the CX-5? I don't see it available on their site for the 6, but the CX-5 one looks exactly the same.

Also, you're not too far away from me - what did the shop get to do this for you, seeing as its only a few bolts? I don't feel like messing with it in my driveway.
They dont have it up on the site yet - have to call them directly.

I'm just paying for 1/2 hour of labor (well worth it in my opinion)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
I want to hear it.. hurry up!!! My 6 needs some "zoom zoom"... But it's so hard to spend money on, when I've got the formula project sittin in the garage on idle...
Pics are up! Started a new thread
The Following User Says Thank You to kylekap19 For This Useful Post:
RacingTiger03 (08-31-2013)
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badself View Post
I'm assuming the RB catback is eye and ear candy only. I can't see how this exhaust will unrestrict our exhaust enough to see much/any real gain on a dyno. Same can probably be said of most catbacks and intakes.

Still, very hard to resist this piece of exhaust art.

What???...Most cat backs and CAI's DO produce measurable increases in HP and torque, generally ~ 10% - 15%. With a good tune as much as 20%.

Mr Russ

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Snowflake White, Parchment
2016 Mazda CX-9, Grand Touring, FWD, Soul Red, Parchment
The Following User Says Thank You to jmbrooks4 For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (09-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badself View Post
I'm assuming the RB catback is eye and ear candy only. I can't see how this exhaust will unrestrict our exhaust enough to see much/any real gain on a dyno. Same can probably be said of most catbacks and intakes.

Still, very hard to resist this piece of exhaust art.

In my experience, a simple muffler and tail pipe system does add some ponies, but it's usually a small amount that's barely noticeable at best. Something like 1-3 HP is added. You have to chain together more mods to really begin to feel much of anything at all. Adding a cat back system will add a bit more power, and usually going from the exhaust headers back adds even more. I've been told that headers on back can add up to 15-18 HP depending on the car/truck. (Adding a cold air intake will add a few more HP on top of that.)

The real question is how much power is added to the sky active system with an exhaust upgrade. I have no idea how efficient Mazda engineered their exhaust system to be. It might be A worthwhile Investment, then again, it might not. I've personally never gone overboard on exhaust systems. I've only ever changed mufflers to get the car/truck to sound meaner. I've always found the cost/HP ratio to be a little too high for my tastes to mess with the exhaust system too much.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
I agree, most modern exhausts are designed to flow VERY well. The restrictions come at the front of the line in the emissions equipment in the headers and mid-pipes. Mazdas design requires great flowing headers to move the "hot exhaust gases away from the combustion chamber" All in the name of reducing chamber temps to aid in the high compression game. Even there I would imagine we have little/no gain except full length race headers. Mid-pipe.. yeah replace the res and cats and I bet there is some HP to recover. I just don't see enough room to make the modifications required to make this car break 200HP (11HP gain at peak) without tuning. But what do I know lol. I'm use to V8's where adding a cold/ram air system can gain 20RWHP, and race headers gain 25RWHP LOL. (I know all of that proven time and again, as well as on my car 323HP stock to the paper air filter, tune and header back exhaust 329 even with an upgrade to a full dual exhaust, headers - 348, upper intake lid and ram air system - 367RWHP. LS1 FTW LOL.

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page