LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Damn you TomTom

So this weekend was my first experience using the tom tom navi in the new 6 for a long distance. I started my drive in north jersey and plopped in the address for my friends apt in Boston. I trusted the navi to lead me to my destination. . .oh lordy was I wrong.
So if anyone has done this drive up the new england way, you know there are a few highways that will get you there/back. First off, tomtom took me on the Tappan Zee Bridge (success number one) then the highway splits and it directed me to get on the saw mill parkway. This is a two lane highway with streetlight stops at random intervals. This was not the funnest experience in rush hour.(fail one) After about 30mins on this highway, it dirrected me to get off the highway and go into one of the little towns there.
Not questioning its advice, I exited the highway only to be led down winding 35mph local roads with no highways and no cell service around. My girlfriend copilot talked me out of continuing this route for the next few miles.
At this time, we inspected the route details of what roads were to be taken the rest of the route and it was a lot more backroads. My thoughts are that tomtoms traffic sensing features were bugging out due to rush out and thus gave us the route that would have less highway traffic yet more backroads.
At this point, we are in the middle of the woods somewhere and I just want to zoomzoom on the highway. We hop onto googlemaps and that takes us back much of the way we came and got us back on a highway.
All the rest of the way, tomtom kept trying to direct us to exit back onto side streets. Finally it got the hint and just stopped trying.
This event of going off the highway lost us about 45 minutes which mildly ticked me off. Tomtom finally got its self righted about 3hours into the trip and told us the way we already knew to go. Thanks Tomtom.
The only saving grace to this fail was the navi voice I programmed in was GlaDos from the game Portal. Her talk of cake and enivitable doom kept me from much mental stress.
If there is a way, I am going to try and wipe the tomtom platform and get like google maps, the superior mapping system.

I shall attempt more times or read the route details prior to blindly following its directions.
Geez already up to 1300 miles on her. She's growing up so fast. . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 Mazda 6 Touring with Tech
Injen CAI & Racing Beats Exhaust
Verde 18' Black sport Rims on Kumho Ecsta 4x with Red Aluminum Lugs and H&R Springs
Thule Aeroblade Roof rack and Bike holder. Tints: Doors 35% Rear 25%
35W 6000k HID's + 35w 6000k HID Highbeams
Hella Horns with Custom Mesh Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Re: Damn you TomTom

I think all GPSes have their moments. I went to visit a school in Pittsburgh, and mine took me through the middle of Beavertown. About 15 miles into the middle of nowhere, we come onto a bridge that's out. Had to turn around, drive all the way back, and take another route.

It ended us taking us to a middle of a field and telling us wed reached our destination. I had to bring up the map on Google (we actually had 4G somehow), and manually navigated until we came out on the other side of the bridge.

Sent from my VS920 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

-insert overreaction here-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Scion tC MTX Release Series 8.0 (1688 of 2000):

2005 Mazda6i MTX Hatch: Traded.

2004 Mazda6s MTX Hatch: Totaled.
2000 Dodge Neon ATX: Winter Beater
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Damn you TomTom

When we went down to va beach my gps took us off the interstate to a random one. Then back up it took us off the interstate and made us drive through dc for 45 minutes. And every time I'm on Maryland highway 495 it keeps telling me to get off at every exit for about 15 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have yet to use any GPS that is 100% accurate with everything. Especially when it comes to cities or roads that don't exist.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I've noticed the same thing with TomTom trying to direct me through a lot of side streets rather than sticking to the major highways. After a week or so of giving it the benefit of the doubt, I decided that maybe I needed to update the maps and software.

This led me through a whole other debacle where the map SD card wouldn't update properly and after multiple attemps and phone calls to TomTom tech support, I now have a newly formatted map SD card that can't seem to install any updates....so now I have no maps at all. TomTom tech support closed for the weekend, so I won't be able to get this figured out until Monday.

Looks like I'm going back to my trusted Google maps on my Samsung Galaxy S3. This was my first time using TomTom and so far I hate it compared to my phone and even my old Garmin 205 device.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the stock GPS on my speed6. Basic, but works pretty good in my opinion.

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring | Velocity Red Mica
DashHawk, CS TIP/SRI/TMIC, SU MM, JB EGR block plate/plug/TB TIG, CPE RDM, Perrin EBCS, Turbosmart BPV,TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD, LED bulbs, TRS projectors, HID fogs, Hawks pads, Amsoil diff/pto/trans, navi, XCarLink USB
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2781 Post(s)
Thanked 4,018 Times in 2,823 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
You came to Boston and didn't give the #NEM6 guys a holler!?!?!?!

We had a mod meet all day - and honestly depending on WHERE in Boston you are, it's impossible to go a direct route. But when you say "middle of the woods" - you'd have to be FAR away from Boston for that to be true lol.

Anyways, sucks your GPS had problems - I installed GlaDos today and noticed that she isn't good with giving directions. She doesn't have enough voice commands programmed to give you adequate information on when to turn and such. She also cannot give you the streets or paths that you're supposed to be going onto, only tells you to "Turn Left."

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Thanked 1,093 Times in 873 Posts
I've found that that is the case with most 3rd party GPS voices. It uses text-to-speach for road names and such, but the character voices are just pre-recorded clips.

2006 Mazda 6s GS | Hatchback | Tungsten Gray

|
|
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Do any of the tech masterminds know if its possible to reformat the tomtom SD card (always remember to back up the provided data first) so that it can run something like Google Maps? Or Garmin software? I am going to further investigate it after this weekend.

Verde 18' Black sport Rims on Kumho Ecsta 4x with Red Aluminum Lugs and H&R Springs
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

[quote=Byakuya;3507035]You came to Boston and didn't give the #NEM6 guys a holler!?!?!?!

Oops my bad haha. I am hanging with a friend right near Fenway and stayed at the Hilton last night. Fancy huh. You going to the parade today?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page