Why does Mada get away with using thin ass paint? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
One thing I will say... do they even do a proper wax and polish at the factory? I couldn't believe how fast and how dirty my paint job got. I took it to a 'car spa' and had the Rain-X protectant added. It'll work for now until I do a full deep polish and caranuba wax job on it. Still, for as much as you pay for a new car you think they could at least give it a good wax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
You haven't been here long enough to know the full extent of Suspension's complaints haha. I won't recite them here, but let's say this is maybe his 6th thread about this very subject haha.

So, I had two hours of free time and decided to see this so called "full extent of complaints".

I know it will be a stretch to say this but, I was "entertained" as I wasted two hours reading the threads where some of it are already closed.

Allow me to stray from the topic. In our local forum, and that's the first forum I joined and this is the second, one of the moderators is acting like a troll. I tried using the ignore button but it doesn't work.

So I'll say that our forum here is much better because the moderators are level headed and goes by the rule of law. In addition to that, our members here are very helpful.

Hats off to the moderators for a thankless job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archerfish For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (12-18-2018), Mz6GreyGhost (12-18-2018)
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Soul Red Chips

I've had my Mazda 6 for approximately for 2 months and I've had to bring it in with chip and scratch issues. I washed my car ever so gently yesterday only to find more chips in the paint. The car has 2,000 miles on it so nothing extreme about how it's driven. I live in Central Florida so I do not drive dirt roads. They've taken care of the issues when I bring the car in but I worry when do they stop and say ok you have enough mileage we can't help anymore.
My fiance has a 2017 cx5 we has the same issue with her car but hers is a lease and they say she will get some sort of allowance when she returns it. I have to pay for this car for 72 months. This must be an issue with other owners if they're paying attention. How can I get this resolved before they won't service this issue anymore?
As beautiful as this color it's not worth the headache for many years to come.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lucykimba, just a thought, but you might want to investigate one of the many paint protection products such as 3M paint protection film or similar. Some are dealer installed options, others are available for the "do it yourself" types, whatever you're most comfortable with (internet research may help some on this topic). I myself have never used a product of this type, but really thought seriously about it when I purchased my 2014 Mazda 6. In the end, I was too cheap to have it done, lol! Others can weigh in on this, but I don't think the cost is too bad (I could be wrong) if you're totally in to protecting your paint and it's a priority for you to keep it in "like new" condition. Good luck and happy holidays. Rampage
ocramida likes this.

"Out of pitch but still in tune" (Neil Young)

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
94 Protege (RIP, tranny died 3/25/13)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
14 Mazda 6 Blue Reflex Touring w/fogs & auto dim mirror
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucykimba View Post
I've had my Mazda 6 for approximately for 2 months and I've had to bring it in with chip and scratch issues. I washed my car ever so gently yesterday only to find more chips in the paint. The car has 2,000 miles on it so nothing extreme about how it's driven. I live in Central Florida so I do not drive dirt roads. They've taken care of the issues when I bring the car in but I worry when do they stop and say ok you have enough mileage we can't help anymore.
My fiance has a 2017 cx5 we has the same issue with her car but hers is a lease and they say she will get some sort of allowance when she returns it. I have to pay for this car for 72 months. This must be an issue with other owners if they're paying attention. How can I get this resolved before they won't service this issue anymore?
As beautiful as this color it's not worth the headache for many years to come.
Yes my friend, Soul Red Crystal is BRUTAL for chipping. After 7k miles, I wrapped the front end of my in a clear bra from 3M. While the front end was no means perfect at 7k miles, it was still nice since I keep distance on the highway. But the wrap was the best investment I made. The dealer actually warned me about the rock chips when I picked up the car. They begged me to get it wrapped before I took delivery, but I am a complete freak about paint care. I was like, "yeah yeah, every paint chips. It's a casualty of driving. I'll be fine"

Regardless, love the paint, but hate how brittle it is. For your solution, especially at 2k miles, I recommend finding an installer of a 3M Scotchguard (Clear Bra). Going rate for a low level job is typically $400+, but there are premium jobs too that will wrap the entire front end of the car for more like $1000+ - well worth it in my opinion for this Soul Red. You can't even tell it's on there and it doesn't sacrifice any of the beauty of the Soul Red either.

I am a person who it crazy anal about my paint, keeping it clean etc. I was skeptical that the clear bra would dampen some of the beautiful angles of Soul Red, but you can't even tell it's on there. I was very pleased with the results, though I'm sure plenty of credit is due to the installer who took his time and custom cut everything.

Hope that helps
ocramida likes this.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not a bad idea but they need to make it right first. Take care of the chips then I'll consider the wrap and also ask them to do the wrapping my mantra is don't ask don't get.My fiance has Mazda clear coat what a waste. I just set appointment with Mazda to inspect and repair which they will the question is what are they willing to do satisfy a loyal customer. This is Mazda #4 for me.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's not that it's thin, it's that it's brittle. The issue is the EPA and their global counterparts; the older 2-part linear urethanes did NOT have to go on thick but they were INSANELY tough along with being unbeatable UV-stability wise. And impossible to match/blend too, by the way, as there was no "separate" clearcoat on top. They just didn't fracture.

Well, the chemicals used (specifically, the hardener) in that stuff are NASTY. As in "kill you" nasty; they contain a cyanide compound among other ugly things. They're no longer legal to produce or use nearly anywhere (exception: for a boat you can still get the stuff in Mexico, of all places -- at least last time I heard, which was a few years ago.)

The "replacements" were able to be formulated to look as good and be somewhat reasonable in UV-stability, but NOT to have the same fracture resistance. That was the big "give" point. So more paint won't help with chip resistance; it's just heavier. The issue is more-or-less constant across makes and models and will get worse as VOC regulations continue to tighten worldwide. The result is chipping when impacted by stones and similar; an utterly common event for a car that travels on actual roads. Oh and the UV stability issue is real too, if somewhat less - witness all the UV-burned vehicles in places like Florida. Wax does exactly ZERO to stop that by the way.

Unless someone comes up with a formulation that has the old linear urethane toughness and UV stability without the chemistry issues (unlikely) we're stuck with it into the future, like it or not.
ocramida likes this.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 44 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
It's not that it's thin, it's that it's brittle. The issue is the EPA and their global counterparts; the older 2-part linear urethanes did NOT have to go on thick but they were INSANELY tough along with being unbeatable UV-stability wise. And impossible to match/blend too, by the way, as there was no "separate" clearcoat on top. They just didn't fracture.

Well, the chemicals used (specifically, the hardener) in that stuff are NASTY. As in "kill you" nasty; they contain a cyanide compound among other ugly things. They're no longer legal to produce or use nearly anywhere (exception: for a boat you can still get the stuff in Mexico, of all places -- at least last time I heard, which was a few years ago.)

The "replacements" were able to be formulated to look as good and be somewhat reasonable in UV-stability, but NOT to have the same fracture resistance. That was the big "give" point. So more paint won't help with chip resistance; it's just heavier. The issue is more-or-less constant across makes and models and will get worse as VOC regulations continue to tighten worldwide. The result is chipping when impacted by stones and similar; an utterly common event for a car that travels on actual roads. Oh and the UV stability issue is real too, if somewhat less - witness all the UV-burned vehicles in places like Florida. Wax does exactly ZERO to stop that by the way.

Unless someone comes up with a formulation that has the old linear urethane toughness and UV stability without the chemistry issues (unlikely) we're stuck with it into the future, like it or not.

burned vehicle in Floria? Wax does nothing to stop it? It may not stop it, but it will delay clearcoat long enough that by the time you get rid of the car, it won't have clearcoat damage. The biggest factor to clearcoat damage is not washing the car, and of course, never waxing.

My old cavalier, I would never washed the car, waxed it only once lol and of course, after 10 years, the paint was complete shit, yet other cavaliers I would see on the road and even today, have no clearcoat failure. In the end, it all comes down to how much you take care of the paint.

Even a thin paint like this one, can be made to last 10 years if you take care of it. I put a sealant on this thing every 2 months. You may have rock chips, but you won't have clear coat failure. Live and learn, next time, I will NOT buy a Mazda unless they improve this paint.

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 12-18-2018 at 06:35 PM.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I read an article discussing the subject of paint toughness, I believe research is being done about mixing resin to increase paint durability.

Still remember the day when I spotted a 3inch chip on the front fender of the 2005 SLK 55 (new then, no longer have) the second month of me owning the thing, so paint issues definitely happen regardless of brand. The factory nano top coat they put on did wonders on things like swirls though.
The Following User Says Thank You to mirage_i For This Useful Post:
GerryB (12-19-2018)
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage_i View Post
I read an article discussing the subject of paint toughness, I believe research is being done about mixing resin to increase paint durability.

Still remember the day when I spotted a 3inch chip on the front fender of the 2005 SLK 55 (new then, no longer have) the second month of me owning the thing, so paint issues definitely happen regardless of brand. The factory nano top coat they put on did wonders on things like swirls though.

Stop trying to talk logic and reason to this guy, he simply does not have any idea of the way the world actually works.
ocramida likes this.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page