Why does Mada get away with using thin ass paint? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
95% of your paint chips come from tailing other cars too closely; it's your fault, not Mazdas. You won't like hearing that, but it's all of our faults. I'll be the first to admit I tail people too closely at times, and I've suffered plenty of chips from that unfortunately. If we all left a proper amount of room, you'd very rarely take damage.

I don't tailgate here in the northland (Mpls) as it's darn dangerous, especially in the winter with our snow and sleet covered roads, and I can say that after 5.5 years on my early production 2014 M6, the chips are few and far between, so I think Byakuya is on to something here. Sometimes it pays NOT to be an "aggressive driver" I guess, lol! Happy motoring and happy holidays folks! Rampage

"Out of pitch but still in tune" (Neil Young)

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
94 Protege (RIP, tranny died 3/25/13)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
14 Mazda 6 Blue Reflex Touring w/fogs & auto dim mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to rampage80 For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (12-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Now I know why the front of my cart looks like it has been sandblasted, lol.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Thanked 1,144 Times in 834 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Now I know why the front of my cart looks like it has been sandblasted, lol.
Are your hedligts foged and scatched two?
MazdaMetalhead likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Are your hedligts foged and scatched two?

Yeah, of course they are, lol.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage80 View Post
I don't tailgate here in the northland (Mpls) as it's darn dangerous, especially in the winter with our snow and sleet covered roads, and I can say that after 5.5 years on my early production 2014 M6, the chips are few and far between, so I think Byakuya is on to something here. Sometimes it pays NOT to be an "aggressive driver" I guess, lol! Happy motoring and happy holidays folks! Rampage
I too try to keep a distance, especially when behind a large truck. Three years and 40,000 miles later, I have only 3 chips - front bumper, hood and front driver's side door.

2016 Mazda6 GT Snowflake White Pearl
2018 Mazda3 Touring Titanium Flash

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 44 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Also, for Mazda6Suspension, I'm just going to throw this out there.

95% of your paint chips come from tailing other cars too closely; it's your fault, not Mazdas. You won't like hearing that, but it's all of our faults. I'll be the first to admit I tail people too closely at times, and I've suffered plenty of chips from that unfortunately. If we all left a proper amount of room, you'd very rarely take damage.
I rarely if never tailgate people, if anything, I get tailgated all the time. I don't have rock chips on the hood or anything serious on the lip. My aftermarket headlights, which I had for one year, have no damage at all, not to mention, I rarely drive my car. My car still has 30k miles. As I posted pics before, my paint damage is mainly on the doors, from asshats who hit it. This paint is so thin that it takes away pretty much the whole clearcoat where the door hit it, in other cars, you only get transfer or a ding, or scratch. The rock chips or door hits that happen with this paint, take away the whole clearcoat.

I always park far away, but like I said this cosmetic issues were already there when I bought the car.

It is mazda's fault for using paint that is thinner than pretty much every other manufacturer out there. Even Hondas, probably have thicker paints. What's the real benefit of thin paint? maybe it looks better, more shiny? sparkles more? but at what cost.

When I bought the car, I didn't know this. Most people didn't either, they found out through this forum lol

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 12-17-2018 at 05:18 PM.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 11
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Feeding the Troll again I see....
GerryB and ocramida like this.

2006 Mazda 6s Auto with 145,000 Miles (traded for 2015 Touring)
2015 Mazda 6 Touring w/6Spd Manual (having an ex wife allows for having a manual again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(traded for 2017 Touring)
2017 Mazda 6 Touring w/Auto (done rowing gears and the skyactive auto has proven to be far more reliable than the one in my 2006)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I was in a Honda showroom in 2015 when my girlfriend bought a new Civic SI. The paint seemed thicker on some of the cars in the showroom, which I remember because I was cringing at how much orange peel the paintjobs had. Three years in, I can verify the Honda chips as easy as the Mazda.

I think new paints are just harder due to EPA formulation requirements, and so they can be applied thinner. I also think the color and clear bond together much better than paints of yesteryear. Meaning if the paint and clear had a poorer bond like in the 1990's the chips would still only effect the clear.

I have a sign shop so I touch my car up with good old fashioned lettering enamel that contains lead. Never chips or gets chalky. Kinda nice.

My friend owns a good body shop, he was recently fixing dents and chips on a new Dodge Challenger that were a result of "ACORN DAMAGE" lol. Apparently they have thin paint and thin metal

Last edited by RobertD; 12-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Nearly every new car in the Mazda price range will have the same paint quality. You paid for a 20K car with options not a 30K+ base car. If you want great paint quality go buy something else.

How about this.....just get in your car and drive! Honestly, being so pessimistic about something you've already invested money into isn't going to make you feel better and at this point you'll be hard pressed to have someone join your side lol.

2016 Mazda 6 GT with Tech - 45,600 Mi
Purchased December 24th, 2015
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 44 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
Nearly every new car in the Mazda price range will have the same paint quality. You paid for a 20K car with options not a 30K+ base car. If you want great paint quality go buy something else.

How about this.....just get in your car and drive! Honestly, being so pessimistic about something you've already invested money into isn't going to make you feel better and at this point you'll be hard pressed to have someone join your side lol.

what

all models in the mazda 6 lineup from the base to the top of the line have the same thin paint regardless

I only wish I had known about this issue, I would've probably never bought the car. I take good care of the paint. I put a sealant every 2 months, I clay bar 3 times a year, wash the car every week. I always have a clean microfiber towel and cleaner in the car to wipe off any dirt or bird shit and it blows that people who all they do is take their car through the dirty car washes, have no rock chips and problems like this, while I do.

That's the thing, you're not gonna find out about these issues and stuff through other venues, except forums like this, after reading and reading. Most people join forums after they bought the car, not before. Lots of stuff I didn't know about this car, that I found out later on here.

I only knew the basics that you get from youtube reviews and stuff.

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 12-17-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page