OVTuning vs DRTuned? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the link, Sav. Do you know what the throttle calibration option is, and whether or not I'd want it? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
sav

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
Thanks for the link, Sav. Do you know what the throttle calibration option is, and whether or not I'd want it? :-)
Yea, this was actually one of the questions I asked Rafael, > Also, what is throttle calibration? It doesn't seem to affect the price when adding to the cart with or without it, so should I get it? < and this is what he said: "Throttle calibration is basically how much the throttle opens depending on how much you step on the gas/accelerator pedal. Manufacturers usually sets this conservatively. If you step on the gas pedal about 10%, it sends a signal to the ECU to open the throttle valve in the intake to 10% as well. If you step on about 30%, it opens the throttle 30%. You get the idea. Sometimes, to other customers, there's a bit of a lag wherein you feel like you're pressing on the pedal but there's a delay on engine response which makes you press on the pedal more. In the throttle calibration, we calibrate the throttle to open more sportily (based on the gas pedal to throttle I explained earlier) to eliminate the sensation of the lag."

Personally, I'm going to get it with the throttle calibration option, but I think even if you get it without that option they could still do it, cause I'm pretty sure it's not a physical object that you put in the car, so you'd just ask them to when telling them the requests you want. Either way it doesn't affect price.
The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:
TitaniumVT (12-12-2018)
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:03 AM

Thanks Sav. I just ordered my OVT Tuning package. The DRTuned guy never bothered to reply to my questions, so screw him. OVT has more experience tuning SkyActiv engines anyway, and most of the forum members here have used them, so I feel more confident having them do my tune.

I'm looking forward to getting it done! Ideally, I would have preferred to wait until next summer (wanted to put at least 10K miles on my car on the stock ECU so it completes learning/adapting to my driving style), but it's fine. I might have to accelerate my installation on the Tanabe Medalion exhaust I wanted to install in the spring too.
sav likes this.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
sav

Quote:
Thanks Sav. I just ordered my OVT Tuning package. The DRTuned guy never bothered to reply to my questions, so screw him. OVT has more experience tuning SkyActiv engines anyway, and most of the forum members here have used them, so I feel more confident having them do my tune.

I'm looking forward to getting it done! Ideally, I would have preferred to wait until next summer (wanted to put at least 10K miles on my car on the stock ECU so it completes learning/adapting to my driving style), but it's fine. I might have to accelerate my installation on the Tanabe Medalion exhaust I wanted to install in the spring too.
No problem

I also just ordered my package on Monday; I even asked Rafael why OVT is better, even though I was 99.99% sure I was going to order the OVTune over DRTuned, but I guess I just wanted a reason to place the order already. Ideally I would've liked to wait until the summer too, but mainly just for weather reasons, and I would've most likely been done "modding" the car by then.

Btw, make sure you have a Windows laptop/tablet for the tuning process. I just ended up buying a cheap 2-in-1 tablet that comes with Win10.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
@sav and @TitaniumVT

It seems that you'll be going the "long way" since you never mentioned renting a Dyno.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Welp, just plunked down the money for an 87-grade tune with throttle calibration from Orange Virus. Also asked for an additional 93-grade file. Let's see how the process goes. I've read through the technical discussions and other OVT threads here so I feel like I have a good idea of what to expect from the tune and the installation process.

FB messaged with the guy at DRTuned and he was pretty responsive there. They've been tuning the 3 for a while and seem to have decent experience with the SkyActiv motor. They will also continue selling tunes for Mazdas so their customer base and experience will only grow. In the end though, I'm going with OV due to the well-documented experiences here. I'm sure DR would have offered similar performance gains, but I'll go with the established tuner especially with the 10% off for Christmas.

Regardless, I can't wait to get rid of that low-rpm 2k-3k rpm lugging...
sav likes this.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:

The medalion is a piece of cake to install. 2 bolts and some. We have the same exhaust so good choice

Im also in for MVT package before the lockout. Is anyone else in for more than one tune? I'm definitely in for E85 tune with my aftermarket header aside from 91 oct. It's an additional $80 per tune just in case you want to keep things interesting
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I gather from looking at the websites for OVT and DRT that there isn't an available ECU package for the 2018 2.5T. DRT lists one, but it says it's out of stock. Which raises some questions:
  • Have any of you used an ECU tuning upgrade for the 2.5T engine? If it exists and you have, any thoughts?
  • Can service technicians at Mazda dealers see that this modification has been done?
  • What does it do to our warranties?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Thanks Nostalgic Hero. It's good to hear that the Medalion install is straightforward - looks like I'll be ordering that next. I'm primarily interested in getting the 87 octane tune, but will also request the 91 octane file. Sometimes the difference in gas prices is fairly minimal in my area, so it would be good to have both.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
sav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic Hero View Post
Im also in for MVT package before the lockout. Is anyone else in for more than one tune? I'm definitely in for E85 tune with my aftermarket header aside from 91 oct. It's an additional $80 per tune just in case you want to keep things interesting
I was first going to go with a full E85 tune, because that's where they get the best results, but the closest one to me is 20 minutes away. So, since it's winter, I'm going to go with 92 first (and an extra 87 one) and then I'll most likely do a E85 one in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page