Do you have health insurance? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Do you have health insurance?

I don't have one, but I wish I did. I don't have one because is expensive. I would be spending thousands a year and probably only use it once for a checkup. Health insurance comes in handy if something bigger happens, of course, it would save thousands, but what are the odds of that? Most people with health insurance are not really using it, except for checkups, blood tests, etc. Insurance companies are making huge profits off of these healthy people.

My employer does not offer health insurance either. It would be nice to have, but if I can spend a couple of hundred dollars a year for a checkup and blood tests, it ends up being a lot cheaper than the thousands in health insurance.

Every time I'm asked if I have health insurance, usually by health care professional, I'm kind of ashamed to say that I don't. I feel like a low class citizen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
When you're asked it's because they intend to screw you.

It's hard to screw someone when you have to give them a price first. When the entire premise is that you do first then bill someone else screwing becomes endemic.

Incidentally for virtually anything that is not an "instant emergency" (e.g. you will die if you don't get treatment RIGHT NOW such as a heart attack or stroke) you can get on a plane and get treatment, paying *CASH*, in any of a dozen or more nations and be able to afford it for less than the cost of even ONE year's "health insurance."

Yes, even for allegedly-catastrophic conditions (e.g. Hepatitis C, for which the drug that cures it, Sovaldi, is $80,000 here in the US -- and under $1,000 in India and a half-dozen other nations.)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
When you're asked it's because they intend to screw you.

It's hard to screw someone when you have to give them a price first. When the entire premise is that you do first then bill someone else screwing becomes endemic.

Incidentally for virtually anything that is not an "instant emergency" (e.g. you will die if you don't get treatment RIGHT NOW such as a heart attack or stroke) you can get on a plane and get treatment, paying *CASH*, in any of a dozen or more nations and be able to afford it for less than the cost of even ONE year's "health insurance."

Yes, even for allegedly-catastrophic conditions (e.g. Hepatitis C, for which the drug that cures it, Sovaldi, is $80,000 here in the US -- and under $1,000 in India and a half-dozen other nations.)

same reason why dentist never disclose their prices anywhere, only when you're there in the office. If you ask for a quite, they would never give you one over the phone or email. Plastic surgeons can be secretive as well, but I've found they are more open than dentist.

I wanted to the cost for a procedure called balloon sinuplasty which helps widen the sinus cavities for better breathing and less chance of sinus infections. They wouldn't give me a quote over email, even though this procedure does not require any custom, it is the same for any patient regardless. They want you to call on the phone.

Makes you wonder why they do that. They do that because is easier to convince (lie) a person and sell the procedure over the phone or in person when you are right there under pressure. The average person is clueless about many things and never does research,

If they gave me a quote over email, not only would give me more time to dedice or even not respond at all, but I could also use this email to potentially post their prices on forums like realself among others. They don't want this, because they know their prices are high and people are less likely to pay/finance procedure if they already know the cost in advance rather than in person, where you are pressured and facts are exaggerated many times just to sale the procedure
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, when you get in a bad traffic accident, you can't pay the 100's of thousands of dollars it costs to save your life, the hospital has to write it off and my insurance rates go up, what am I supposed to do?

Be a responsible citizen and, at least, get catastrophic incident coverage.
GerryB and bluedevil6 like this.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in edmonds View Post
So, when you get in a bad traffic accident, you can't pay the 100's of thousands of dollars it costs to save your life, the hospital has to write it off and my insurance rates go up, what am I supposed to do?

Be a responsible citizen and, at least, get catastrophic incident coverage.

The hospital is making millions and millions by overcharging patients with no insurance. They would be alright.

I know people without insurance who went to emergency for nothing serious, they didn't even stay for the night, and they've been charged thousands of dollars. Where the hell do they come up with these fees? Is all out of thin air. They can charge whatever they want.

If I were to get into accident, where I don't have a choice but to go to the emergency room, I wouldn't pay the bill. My financial security and feeding myself is more important than some stupid bill. They can send it to collections. It won't affect your credit that much, if at all.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 PM

BTW that entire racket is illegal. Go read 15 USC Chapter 1.

Now find someone who will bring the charges. And incidentally, the medical and insurance industries have tried to claim exemptions to that law twice since the 1970s, going all the way to the Supreme Court with both cases.

They lost both.

Now tell me again why nobody gets brought up on charges.

At some point if you cannot find someone to enforce a law that has twice been challenged to the highest court in the land, and twice lost their case (that is, it DOES apply to them) then exactly why should you not enforce it yourself using any means necessary?

And yeah, I know exactly what it means if people start doing that. But tell me again why they shouldn't when the law is clear, the precedent is clear and the court cases are clear too -- it does apply, what they're doing is a felony and yet there's not one cop or prosecutor that will arrest, bring charges and toss in prison.

What would YOU do if a criminal gang was openly running heroin and fentanyl in front of the police force and your son, daughter and six kids down the street were all dead as a result -- but you couldn't get anyone to bust the people doing it right out in the open without even a hint of trying to hide it? What if they raped your kid first?

We lost any claim to be a people that gives a crap about the Rule of Law in this nation long ago.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
The hospital is making millions and millions by overcharging patients with no insurance. They would be alright.

I know people without insurance who went to emergency for nothing serious, they didn't even stay for the night, and they've been charged thousands of dollars. Where the hell do they come up with these fees? Is all out of thin air. They can charge whatever they want.

If I were to get into accident, where I don't have a choice but to go to the emergency room, I wouldn't pay the bill. My financial security and feeding myself is more important than some stupid bill. They can send it to collections. It won't affect your credit that much, if at all.
Wow. Your lack of understanding of how the world works is pretty amazing.
GerryB likes this.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I work at a Mazda dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Yeah, ok, running a decent-sized corporation in the 1990s (which is when I identified this problem and started raising hell about it) makes me rather uninformed... Never mind the published book featuring this issue along with a whole lot of advocacy, trips to DC and similar.

(You might want to research who you're talking crap at before you start.... it keeps you from looking like a complete idiot.)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Yeah, ok, running a decent-sized corporation in the 1990s (which is when I identified this problem and started raising hell about it) makes me rather uninformed... Never mind the published book featuring this issue along with a whole lot of advocacy, trips to DC and similar.

(You might want to research who you're talking crap at before you start.... it keeps you from looking like a complete idiot.)
Who are you even talking to? Dave in Edmonds was clearly addressing the OP, who IS amazingly clueless as to how any aspect of life works.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post

I wanted to the cost for a procedure called balloon sinuplasty which helps widen the sinus cavities for better breathing and less chance of sinus infections.

Similar to a much cheaper procedure called a nasal specific.

Try cutting dairy out of your diet for 2 weeks.
After that try wheat.
They are the two biggest allergens and both cause (dairy especially) increased sinus issues.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page