What steps are you taking to prevent your car from being stolen? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
What steps are you taking to prevent your car from being stolen?

My biggest fear is having my car key copied and they would just drive off that easily. I know it has happened to many people. I live in an apartment, so I have no garage. My car sleeps outside. My car doesn't have an alarm either. The car has that immobilization system, but if they find a way to copy my key, is game over.

It is less likely to happen in an apartment complex, since there are so many cars and apartment, unless they were doing some serious surveillance. Supposedly, you can buy one of those RFID key fob blockers, but I don't know how good they are. People have tested them and the cars won't start when the key is inside these bags.

I don't live in a bad area, but you never know. My apartment building is next to a main street, not sure if that's a good thing or not. It makes it less likely for robbers to be there, since on the other side there are cars driving by. There is more visibility.

Been considering installing an alarm system, but I don't know if it will be worth it.

is the mazda 6 an always on key fob or is only activated when in range? but even if just 1 feet activation, all they have to do is get an amplifier which can send signal to 300 feet away

How is it possible that a bunch of geeks with some cheap homemade boxes can defeat thousands of dollars of security created by these huge ass car companies, is ridiculous, almost as if nothing can be done to beat the thieves, they're always one step ahead of everyone

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 10-18-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

There is also this option

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they still make it "THE CLUB" is a good protocol. Try driving with one of those on the steering wheel...lololololol If anything, it will discourage said thief from messing with your car and cause them to move on elsewhere. The variant that locks the wheel to the brake pedal is another option. IF it's a situation where a thief will be undisturbed or unseen they may want to take the extra time to mess with it, but many will not and move on and not risk being caught trying to do so.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Garage
Buy a car with a manual transmission.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thatís why I have insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluedevil6 likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
If they still make it "THE CLUB" is a good protocol. Try driving with one of those on the steering wheel...lololololol If anything, it will discourage said thief from messing with your car and cause them to move on elsewhere. The variant that locks the wheel to the brake pedal is another option. IF it's a situation where a thief will be undisturbed or unseen they may want to take the extra time to mess with it, but many will not and move on and not risk being caught trying to do so.

that club can be defeated very easily and quick, it only serves as a visual deterrent and would stop a noob thief. Also, what happens if you lose the key or something happens and that club won't unlock? You can't drive and have to hire a locksmith to remove it. That's the main reason why I never used it. I don't mind putting it on, but I read a few stories of people being unable to unlock their own clubs lol

every time I see a car with these clubs, I chuckle a little, cause I know they won't prevent shit in those cars that are usually on. Usually on older cars
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Mazda6Suspension For This Un-useful Post:
1BlinkGone (10-18-2018)
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
I LIKE this. Did some research...I'm sold on it... With the caveat that I WOULD use the warning stickers on the windows to prompt the would-be thieves to move onto other exploits. Too many testimonials of people who wished they had installed the stickers instead of discarding them...
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Buy a car with a manual transmission.

I always lol at this myth when repeated online. Here you have thieves who have the knowledge and expertise to copy a car's key fob, hot wire a car, disable the alarm, etc and you think they won't know how to drive a manual transmission?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
that club can be defeated very easily and quick, it only serves as a visual deterrent and would stop a noob thief. Also, what happens if you lose the key or something happens and that club won't unlock? You can't drive and have to hire a locksmith to remove it. That's the main reason why I never used it. I don't mind putting it on, but I read a few stories of people being unable to unlock their own clubs lol

every time I see a car with these clubs, I chuckle a little, cause I know they won't prevent shit in those cars that are usually on. Usually on older cars
There is the real deal and then there have been the cheap knock-offs. Sure they work. But Virtually anything can be defeated if someone wants it bad enough OR HAS THE UNDISTURBED time to do so. I don't know anybody who has used them that had a car stolen. But every single car stolen that I'm aware of, DIDN'T have one. Besides, your worry about the club and losing the key also applies to the Ravelco you brought up. Lost the plug, and you're screwed until you can order a replacement.

We're are talking about deterrents. That's all they are. In varying degrees.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
I LIKE this. Did some research...I'm sold on it... With the caveat that I WOULD use the warning stickers on the windows to prompt the would-be thieves to move onto other exploits. Too many testimonials of people who wished they had installed the stickers instead of discarding them...

There are some negatives. I also thought it would be undefinable but is not. This thread online proves it. Read through it and apparently is an overpriced kill switch. Better than nothing I supposed but this thing costs $550 to install. Way to expensive.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/audio-...2069021/page4/

funniest part is one of the forum member posted to have this ravelco system and 2 weeks later his car got stolen LMAO

Quote:
I'm posting this from my iphone and I'm too lazy to quote but someone said installation of ravelco takes one hour or less. That's probably true for a shifty installer but I lucked out. My guy took over 5 hours to install my unit, for I was peeking out my window from time to time to see he wasn't bullshittin around. If ur getting it installed ask for a stealth install and if he's experienced enough he'll know what to do.

Like I said earlier, ravelco wouldnt be a bad choice if you don't know how to stealth install and it's convenient bc they drive to your house and install it there, but you are a fool if you only use that only for your security. I learned the hard way, having to replace my cluster, bezel, all the broken pillar garnish. If installed right it is a great layer to security but like I said, you need a lot of layers. If I knew how to do/had time to stealth install I wouldve done it instead, but I am satisfied with my ravelco and especially the guy who installed it. If you live in nj or around, ask for chuck whigham. He did mine and you won't be disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq
hi. i have ravelco and my car got stolen this morning...no it did not get towed and no i did not leave my plug in. (-1) for ravelco.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page