How do you inflate your tires? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
How do you inflate your tires?

I bought this gauge, which has great reviews and recommended everywhere, the thing is perfect, but this doesn't inflate tires lol I still have to go to a gas station with their ass ripoff $1.50-2.00 for air and it barely gives you enough to even do 3 tires or I have take it to a store like Tire Plus that does free inflation, but you have to ask them, if they're busy, it may take a few minutes, etc is annoying and I hate depending on these suckas

I know of this automatic tire pressure machines that fill with air to the set tire pressure, but they all have negative reviews on Amazon of not inflating to the set tire pressure. The mechanics have those tire gauge inflators which are connected to their air compressors, those are accurate, but of course, who do hell has that at home?

Only solution is to probably get an air compressor, so you can inflate at home and use a tire gauge like the one I bought to confirm is the right reading, don't trust those gauges that come in the air compressors

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 10-10-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a bicycle tire pump. Was like 10 bucks at Walmart. I forgot what air gauge I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I use a gauge very much like the one you linked to on Amazon (I also bought mine on Amazon) and a pancake type air compressor that I also use for my pneumatic air guns. Works great.

I also have some digital gauges I use when I just quickly want to check the pressure without getting out the big gauge and compressor.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Just buy a small air inflator like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12...Y120/301753174 (plugs into a wall outlet)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12...D12A/301753171 (plugs into your car's cigarette lighter)

They work great and are super convenient to have. Harbor Freight has a similar one for less, which works as well, but is only available in a 12 volt version, and is cheaper (both in price and quality). I started with the Harbor Freight one, but eventually bought the Husky because I wanted one that could draw power from a wall outlet.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 10-10-2018 at 11:41 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
TitaniumVT,
Those Home Depot compressors look great.
Are you using one and how has it held up?

Another thing to keep in mind is tire pressure is best checked cold.
If you have to drive several miles to get them filled they may heat up enough to throw your pressure readings off a little.
Granted this is pretty small, but it's better if you can check it when cold.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Grunt, they are great and they're inexpensive. I've had mine for about 5 years now, with no issues. The 120 volt version seems to fill faster than the 12 volt kind, which is not surprising. If you're planning to check/fill your tires at home, I'd recommend choosing that one over the kind that plugs into your cigarette lighter. The latter is the better choice if you want a portable pump you can leave in your trunk, or if you live someplace (like an apartment complex) where you don't have a close source of wall power to plug into.

One thing I'll point out (Seiya smartly alluded to this in his original post) is that not all air pressure gauges are created equal. I have one similar to the $20 one he linked to, except mine is an Intercomp brand used in racing and cost about $70. They both seem similar and adjust air pressure readings to account for barometric air pressure at the elevation of where you live. Their readings are simply more accurate. The pressure gauge on the Home Depot inflator (the Harbor Freight one was exactly the same) aren't as sophisticated and don't account for your elevation, so their air pressure readings are slightly off as a result. In my case, I live at sea level and the readings were over optimistic by 3 lbs.

So what you do is to get an air pressure gauge like the one Seiya has ($20) + the air inflator like the one I linked to ($25) and you're all set. Check the cold pressure at you target psi using both, and you'll know how much the reading of the gauge on your air inflator is off by at your elevation. That number will remain consistent, so going forward, you can just use the gauge on your air inflator for convenience, but adjust the pressure to accommodate for the error. So in my case, if I'm aiming for 40psi, I just use the gauge on the Home Depot inflator to fill the tires up to 43psi, knowing the gauge reading is off by 3psi. I could double check the reading with the Intercomp gauge, but in practice, I've found it's not necessary once I know how much I need to adjust the inflation pressure by.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 10-11-2018 at 10:55 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
+I just go to Costco about evry month and set the pressure to the 3-4 psi above the cold pressure recommended of 36 psi. Works great and it is Nitrogen
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Thanked 1,135 Times in 825 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-10...sor-69284.html

I have one of those in my trunk. It's a little slow, being it runs on 12V, but it works fine if you need to check/fill the tires every couple weeks or so.

A decent compressor, whether it's a 12V or 120V, will easily be less than $100, and it's handy for bikes, sports equipment, etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I usually just use the gas station air, but I don't trust the pressure gauge on those so I typically overinflate by a few PSI then use my handheld gauge to let a little air out to get the exact pressure. Around here we have Sheetz stations that have these neat (and free) compressors that let you set the desired PSI and it will beep when it's done, but I've found that it measures a few PSI low. So like if I want my tire to be 38 psi I need to set it for 42 and then check afterwards.

Beep Beep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I keep this in my trunk, I have used it twice, mines pretty accurate as far as the pressure setting goes and its quiet compared to the slime compressor I have in one of the other cars.

https://www.tacklifetools.com/produc...t/index/id/166
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0569[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	224408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570[1].jpg
Views:	17
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	224410  

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods-tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod with Trans Temp-Oil Pressure-Voltmeter, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, rear muffler delete, gutted cats/MF muffler

Mods to come
- lowering springs,

Audio- OE NON-Bose HU with 4 Boss Audio door speakers powered by 1000 watt Crunch amp with OE Bose sub

Other Cars 07 charger 5.7(factory patrol car) 14 Jeep patriot 04 Ram 2500 5.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page