What Type Of Driver Are You? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
What Type Of Driver Are You?

1. What is your driving style? Are you defensive, aggressive, spirited? Or perhaps a mix of all three, depending on your mood?

2. Why did you buy your Mazda? Was it a more attractive option over it's competition, or were you drawn toward it purely from a driving enjoyment point of view?

3. What type of driving do you do? City? Highway? What sort of MPG are you achieving?

4. How often do you rev the engine past 3500RPM?

Allow me to start:

1. I started off as a very aggressive and dangerous driver. I see driving as more than just transportation, or a method of getting from point A to B. For me it's a way to calm my nerves, help get my mind of the daily obstacles and difficulties of life; a way to unwind and get a feel for all the inner-workings of the machine I am piloting. Experience and feel the dedication that went into building this machine by a small team of passionate engineers for one purpose - To drive. I don't care about any sort of fancy electronic features. For me, the philosophy less = more comes into strong effect when shopping for a car. Everything you need and nothing you don't. I'm lucky that my driving as a kid never hurt others or myself, so I see driving as being potentially very dangerous with one tiny human error causing serious repercussions. The less a vehicle's interior distracts you, the better of a driver you become. For example this is why Mazda's black interiors are gloomy looking with little other colors or textures to break up the endless sea of black. The whole interior is designed to keep you focused on the road as much as possible, from the seating position, to the way the steering and rest of the interior ergonomics wrap around your hands naturally. As time went by, one mistake after another, my driving style gradually become safer and less aggressive, more defensive. I found myself avoiding accidents simply because I happened to be driving safely or defensively during a potentially risky situation. My passion for speed in a straight line diminished, but was still very much alive when it came to tackling corners. More often than not, I lean on the chassis hard around corners in hopes of getting some rotation from the rear-axle. I am still very much a spirited driver but only during random bursts when the road is open or I see a good opportunity.

2. The answer to this question might be clear to you. Other than driving feel, little else mattered to me. I just wanted an engine with good usable torque and a dynamic chassis that enjoys being leaned on. Communicative steering that never feels content going slowly. Teases it's driver to explore the limits and push harder around bends. On top of this, everything else important in a car such as comfort, reliability, build - quality, fuel economy, styling, etc etc. Was just right. The Mazda 6 is a great overall package.

3. I do mostly city driving with some highway. I am currently averaging about 24-26 MPG.

4. To be honest, not often. This car's got enough torque below 3500RPM for everyday driving and the transmission is well tuned to make the most out of whatever is given. I only sometimes redline the engine when I got the space for it to just keep carbon buildup in check. Engines don't like low RPM's for thousands of miles at a time without some room to breathe properly.

Zoom - Zoom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 02:32 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Fun questions!!

1. What is your driving style? Are you defensive, aggressive, spirited? Or perhaps a mix of all three, depending on your mood?

I would say that I am aggressive/spirited, especially on a nice open road or when I have a legit reason to gun it and zoom. Although on lazy mornings I sometimes just want to boop along and enjoy the ride at a normal pace.

2. Why did you buy your Mazda? Was it a more attractive option over it's competition, or were you drawn toward it purely from a driving enjoyment point of view?

I bought my 2011 Mazda6 GT because it blew away the competition hands down. I owned a Maxima back when they were nice, and in 2011 I looked at Honda and Toyota, also Subaru, and Nissan again. I had never really paid attention to Mazda but a friend of mine who owned a Mazdaspeed3 suggested I try. I went to a dealership and the salesman directed me to a long, open stretch of road leading to Mt. Hood. I swear, compared to the other cars I had driven, that car flew like an airplane. I liked the styling, I liked the way it handled and the way it drove.

Alas, the engine just blew on my 2011. A story for the 3.7L threads. I just purchased a 2017.5 Mazda6 GT in red. Not the same as the 2011 but still a fun ride.

3. What type of driving do you do? City? Highway? What sort of MPG are you achieving?

Mostly city driving, and also a lot of slow driving/idling because of my gaming habits. However I tried to take a long, 1000 mile + road trip every year with my 2011 Mazda. My MPG was not great, 18-20? The new Mazda seems to be getting closer to 34 MPG although I've only driven it 3x, mostly on highways.

I have no idea. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to LM97027 For This Useful Post:
Get Inline (09-12-2018)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post

1- usually aggressive and spirited

2- I had never even thought of a Mazda, actually at the time I was looking for another Audi when I stumbled across my 6. I wanted something quick that handled good I sold a 2000 eclipse to buy another car because the eclipse was slow and handled like s**t. I actually only had it for about three months after I killed my 01 Audi A4 at 195k.

3- City/Highway = 70/30 Highway mpg isnt bad but the weeks I do mainly city driving I can only do about 220 miles on one tank.

4- quite often (keeps it healthy lol)

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Nice! Let's gather more information on how people drive?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
1. I would consider myself spirited, yet measured. I drove professionally for 31 years which shaped my habits in many ways. It taught me to plan way ahead, taken in as much information as possible, make steady predictions based on that and remain consistent and smooth in traffic (to the betterment of others and my passengers). I also did some autocrossing and track time (not professionally, but certainly educationally) which only furthered the cause. And... I always keep learning. Once you think you know it all, you stuff it into barrier.

2. I bought this Mazda for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it is my fourth. I've always preferred how Mazdas drive and in all my years I've only had one other car that came close; my 86 Acura Integra. But for the rust, that was a sweet little car. This time around, I wanted a hatch and a six speed manual, and I'm sure many of us know that that particular window is closing, and fast. Leather and good lighting were also requirements, and the Mazda came through again. It's a 3 this time instead of a 6, but I'm quite happy.

3. My driving is pretty much a mix. I've been averaging about 30 MPG over almost 30k miles. My best is 40 at about 80 mph, which I found impressive.

4. Rarely. Around town I just don't see the need to rev the piss out of it, though it will get its lungs cleared occasionally on the highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Get Inline likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
1. I'm fairly defensive with a hint of spirited. I'm not afraid to pass the slow-pokes but I also know that 90% of the other drivers are fucking crazy.

2. I wanted tech. The three cars I was looking at that had the keyless entry and push button start in September 2008 were the Mazda 6, Altima, and Avalon. After doing some research on these cars, I noticed tons of Altimas everywhere and everyone I saw driving Avalons were seniors. I hadn't seen very many 2nd gen 6's and loved the styling so I made my choice after test driving. Had to go with the 6 cylinder. The 4cyl just didn't have the get-up-and-go I wanted.

3. Most of my driving is Highway. I live in a smallish college town and it's a 20 minute drive to work in another town. I honestly don't pay attention to my MPG.

4. I've stepped on it a few times to beat traffic out of a merge or off a stoplight, but I don't regularly abuse the car.

~Mike

2009 Mazda 6 GT in Sangria Red.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
I would consider myself spirited, yet measured. I drove professionally for 31 years which shaped my habits in many ways. It taught me to plan way ahead, taken in as much information as possible, make steady predictions based on that and remain consistent and smooth in traffic (to the betterment of others and my passengers). I also did some autocrossing and track time (not professionally, but certainly educationally) which only furthered the cause. And... I always keep learning. Once you think you know it all, you stuff it into barrier.
Very well said!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Garage
1. On the highway, in traffic I'm a mixture of all 3, depending on the situation at hand. I try to plan ahead as much as possible and flow with traffic, fast or slow.

On backroads I'm spirited. Through town, I'm patient and leave within plenty of time to give myself some leeway so I dont turn into an aggressive driver.

I can be aggressive if need be, but I try my best not to be.

2. I was looking for a spacious 4 door sedan, optioned out, 3-4 years old, under 60k miles, less than $15k, which is about every family sedan out there. I loved the styling when it was released in 2013. Tried to get my wife to buy a black on black sport with fog lights, but she choose a used 09 Mazda 3 Sport instead. My 14 GT is comfy, spacious, stylish with decent aftermarket support.

3. Currently 90% highway. I drive 60 miles highway one way to work. Average about 140 miles a day 5 days a week. I average 33.4mpg running mostly at 80mph on cruise control.

4. Atleast 2 times a day, getting on the highway and the occasional pass or two on the highway. I try not to let the carbon build up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Get Inline likes this.

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*

Last edited by 93blkongreenpro; 09-12-2018 at 08:23 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am mostly a spirited, sometimes aggressive driver. I love the involvement that driving a manual transmissioned car brings. All my primary cars have been manuals since I strated driving 40 years ago. I have toned down the aggressiveness with age. I am a safe driver, once past the inital inexperienced aggresive driving stage of a newly licensed male teenager driver stage, I only had a couple of fender benders, and only one was my fault. A lot of my driving is related to my work. If I am early on my timing to a an scheduled appointment, I take it easy. But still, I feel the urge to step on it. I wish I had more time to autocross, as I did in my earlier years. When I am driving the family in the SUV I take it easy.

There really wasn't any other option for me, the 6 was the car that I wanted for my need of having a MTX, good driving dynamics. I like Mazda's design approach. I had a 1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo that I used to autocross, very fun car, although not very reliable, sold it at 200,000+ miles when I didn't have time for auto-crossing. At that time I also had a Ford Taurus SHO, great car, untilit dies at about 220,000 miles. Before that I had Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo, Honda Civic Si. ALl fun cars. I drove them all hard, shifting at redline practically everyday. They all lasted at least 200,000 miles. Even with my hard driving, the clutches lasted at least 140,000. Always double clutching while downshifting.

I drive a mix. Mostly a driving in the congested SoCal freeways and streets. Sometimes I go on long trips on the road. My lifetime mileage is 25.5 MPG. Best I got was about 30-32 PMG on the highway

Pretty much every time I shift from 1-2 gear! Because of the wide gear space between 1-2 gear. I usually shift between 3-4K rpm in the lower gears, unless traffic is really slow. A few times a week I redline the car. I have been trying to be more deliberate with the throttle with shiftitng. I have always have had a "lead foot". My prior car was a Hyundai Elantra that I drove for almost 300,000 miles, I drove the hell out of that car. Even such a lowly car was fun to drive once I added a stiffer rear sway bar, and negative camber to the front.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefalo View Post
Pretty much every time I shift from 1-2 gear! Because of the wide gear space between 1-2 gear. I usually shift between 3-4K rpm in the lower gears, unless traffic is really slow. A few times a week I redline the car. I have been trying to be more deliberate with the throttle with shifting. I have always have had a "lead foot". My prior car was a Hyundai Elantra that I drove for almost 300,000 miles, I drove the hell out of that car. Even such a lowly car was fun to drive once I added a stiffer rear sway bar, and negative camber to the front.
Me personally, I think first gear is too short and feels totally gutless. I do have the automatic, but IMO it is purely for getting started off the line. I literally never rev it past 3250RPM in first. I shift lazily into second and use either second, or third especially to really get going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page