What Type Of Driver Are You? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
let's get some more input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://youtu.be/AUvBqQl93Ms

I would like to drop our 6 but would it void the warranty?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom-Zoom6 View Post

Probably.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom-Zoom6 View Post

Why would it, exactly?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93blkongreenpro View Post
Why would it, exactly?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've seen manufacturer's void warranty for some very crazy things that would actually reduce the need for warranty work if anything.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Fun! I feel like I'll have pretty different answers than most folks. Not that anyone really ever reads through these surveys lol.

1. What is your driving style? Are you defensive, aggressive, spirited? Or perhaps a mix of all three, depending on your mood?

I'm 31 years old and have been driving like a grandpa for about 10 years now. I got a couple of speeding tickets when I was younger, and I just decided that I was sick of having to check my rear view mirror every 5 seconds. So I just set the cruise to 70 and enjoy the music. I generally arrive places a minute later than my friends who drove fast. I also love seeing those sweet fuel economy shoot up. My last car was a Civic, not a hybrid, and on one long trip I averaged 52 MPG.

2. Why did you buy your Mazda? Was it a more attractive option over it's competition, or were you drawn toward it purely from a driving enjoyment point of view?

I didn't even know that I could enjoy driving again until after I bought my Mazda. I bought it because it's way more comfortable than my other two options (Camry and Accord) and because of the better fuel economy.

3. What type of driving do you do? City? Highway? What sort of MPG are you achieving?

50/50 driving I've been at around 31 MPG. My commute is around 70/30 hwy/cty and I'm at around 35 MPG. I'm going off of the indicator, I haven't tested the math myself yet.

4. How often do you rev the engine past 3500RPM?

Sometimes once a day, sometimes not even once.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamadoorknob View Post

Sometimes once a day, sometimes not even once.
Nice, good answers. This engine really enjoys being in the mid range I notice. It seems most content being between 3000-4000RPM more so than any other RPM. It's a little laggy below that range because the 4-2-1 headers, dual stage intake manifold etc. cannot do it's magic yet, and it doesn't like being revved very high because of the super long stroke and big displacement.

So, don't be scared to use the mid range. although most of the time I feel like I don't really need to rev the car much higher than 3000RPM which is fantastic considering it is just a 4 cylinder. The gearing doesn't seem very well optimized for high RPM shifts either.

With that being said, you want to bring the engine up all the way to it's 6200RPM redline about once a week, to help increase intake valve temperatures to reduce carbon buildup.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Garage
I am courteous and attentive.Or at least I try to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
-

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
I am courteous and attentive.Or at least I try to be.
That's important for sure.

My philosophy when it comes to driving is conservation of momentum. Obviously within reason, but the goal is to use your brakes as little as possible, come to a stop as little as possible. Keep moving as much as you can.

This means:

- Brake early. Try to still be rolling just as the car in front of you takes off
- change lanes. Conserve momentum. if the car in front of you is slowing down or just being an idiot, don't let them hurt your MPG's.
- If you see reds up ahead, don't drive fast! You're wasting gas and brakes when you do this. Try to calculate a precise speed so that you are rolling right through the light just as it turns green.
- If you see greens up ahead, accelerate! try to stop as little as possible.

I like to drive in an agile manner when I'm in traffic. I maneuver around cars often especially if they are driving slow and stupid. There are two types of drivers - ones who drive slow and dangerously, and then ones that drive fast and dangerously. Try to avoid both of them whether your driving style should become offensive or defensive.

But most importantly of all, know when you should be driving slowly and defensively, and when you can open up the throttle a little to have some fun.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. What is your driving style? Are you defensive, aggressive, spirited? Or perhaps a mix of all three, depending on your mood?
I accelerate intentionally. I do generally drive defensively, ie idiot avoidance, and I do enjoy the back roads and fun onramps from time to time... I'll speed up to get around somebody because they're stupidly slow, esp in the left lane, and there's a break in the right lane traffic, or I'll speed up before someone gets into the left lane because nobody around here knows how to merge and people in the right lane will hop into the left, or I'll speed up/punch it to catch a gap (A good gap, I don't try to squeeze) or forever be subjected to the idiot that doesn't know how to pass. Otherwise, I drive pretty well relaxed

2. Why did you buy your Mazda? Was it a more attractive option over it's competition, or were you drawn toward it purely from a driving enjoyment point of view?
Welp, my LeSabre was on it's last legs, so when I started looking for a car, I was wanting another sedan. I started off wanting an 2008 Avalon (because toyota reliability, a v6 with 50% more power and efficiencyish, and I had no problem with driving a boat... in today's standards, not 1960's lincoln continental boat...and 2008 because AUX jack ;D ). I couldn't find one that I wanted and my parents kind of talked me out of it with the argument that more luxurious cars are more expensive to repair. I still had my heart set on a v6 because I wanted a car that was no less powerful than my LeSabre (170 hp) and it's hard to find a used 4 banger with at least that within my budget ($6k). So I was down to Accord, Camry, Impala, 6, whatever Ford had... and screw Nissan and their CVTs... I cut down the list to the Accord and Camry for while but I couldn't find a V6 in my budget that wasn't beat to hell or had features I didn't want (leather seats). I was against the 6 for a little while because headroom... I did alot of shopping/feature looking on edmunds... and then I started looking at reliability on Car Complaints... the accord and camry had a little too many complaints for my taste (granted, they've sold a lot more than the 6)... My dad suggested a Mazda 6... I was looking at the first gen but I couldn't find one I wanted with a v6.... I eventually broke down and would start accepting a 4 banger... still couldn't find a first gen I wanted... times goes on and I find a used 2012 6i for 5500... which I bought... I had to clean it up for sure but it had everything I wanted... could use a smidge more headroom, but I drive the car and the driver seat lowers so I'm good ;3 Super fun to drive and I actually looked forward to a 4 hour drive.

3. What type of driving do you do? City? Highway? What sort of MPG are you achieving?
Highway mostly, but it's in a metropolitan area. So, I get around.... 24-28.... When I got the car, I hovered around 26 MPG, then I had a few fill ups where I got a pitiful 24 highway and I drove more conservative when I noticed it and it stuck around 24 for a couple fill ups and made its way back up to 26. I got 28 MPG on a road trip where I allegedly averaged 80+ mph and often cruised at 90.... mileage for me starts to drop above 80 mpg or 2700-3000 rpm... then my most recent fill up, and driving on the highway on a route I frequent, I actually averaged 30+mpg according to the computer.

Almost every time I drive it. Torque is non existant below 2200rpm I guess and I frequently have to jump into traffic from a stop. I usually try not to if I don't have to... when I remember to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page