LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 40 Times in 33 Posts
Alloy wheel repair

My alloy wheels are peeling and have clear coat damage. It already had this when I bought the car, but it was minimal and it has been spreading slowly. I also have some curb rash. I'm being quoted $100-150 to repair the wheels.

They will sand the curb rash, bubbles, scratches, apply bondo, etc. My main concern is what paint they are going to use and especially the clear coat. This is where these people skimp to make profit. It is unlikely that these wheel repair places are going to disclose what products they are using lol

For $100 repair, chances are they are using auto spray cans, which will not last. The Mazda clear coat obviously did not last 2 years on these wheels. This is why I'm hesitant about doing this. They will make them look nice, but it will probably only last 1 year and start peeling again.

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-14-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 753 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,804 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
1) Why not just ask the people what paint they use?

2) Mazda's wheels had issues because of a manufacturing mistake on the paint supplier's end which resulted in the paint not bonding to the wheels properly.

3) If you're so worried about having professionals work on your car, do it yourself.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
1) Why not just ask the people what paint they use?

2) Mazda's wheels had issues because of a manufacturing mistake on the paint supplier's end which resulted in the paint not bonding to the wheels properly.

3) If you're so worried about having professionals work on your car, do it yourself.

I'm going to start asking on Yelp, but I doubt they will disclose this info, we will see.

When I had my cavalier. I painted my wheel silver (same color) and applied clear coat, it didn't look that good and only lasted a few months, but then again, I used products from Autozone.

Also, do these wheel repair places offer lifetime warranty or at least 5 year warranty? Unlikely, because they are aware of the nature of the work. Unless you apply high quality paint and clear coat, it is not going to last very long.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 753 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,804 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
I'm going to start asking on Yelp, but I doubt they will disclose this info, we will see.

When I had my cavalier. I painted my wheel silver (same color) and applied clear coat, it didn't look that good and only lasted a few months, but then again, I used products from Autozone.

Also, do these wheel repair places offer lifetime warranty or at least 5 year warranty? Unlikely, because they are aware of the nature of the work. Unless you apply high quality paint and clear coat, it is not going to last very long.
Or you could just call them directly and find out for yourself. No one on here is going to ave any idea what your local rim refinishing places have for warranties or products.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
You could always sand the flaking material off and plasti-dip your wheels. You can do a set fit $50-$80 depending on what color you pick. They hold up well and are easy to clean with simple green and a soft brush. Gloss black on my black 15 Touring and antique gold on my wife’s blue 15 Grand Touring. There are posts with directions and tips on using plasti-dip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C3C7FE8-F5D3-4C08-ACD6-7928759AD754.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	222098   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB445ACB-15A2-4C5A-A876-9EFA3A865A63.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	222106  

Current cars:
2005 Porsche 911
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

former Mazda's:
2015 Mazda 6 Touring (totaled in accident)
2004 Mazda 6 S Sport Wagon (sold after 11 years)
2006 Mazda 6 i sedan (sold after 2 years)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine63impala View Post
You could always sand the flaking material off and plasti-dip your wheels. You can do a set fit $50-$80 depending on what color you pick. They hold up well and are easy to clean with simple green and a soft brush. Gloss black on my black 15 Touring and antique gold on my wife’s blue 15 Grand Touring. There are posts with directions and tips on using plasti-dip.

He doesn’t like ghetto mods like plastidip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to calcaneous For This Useful Post:
Mazda6Suspension (06-15-2018)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine63impala View Post

already tried and it didn't look good so i removed it lol i live in florida with too much humidity and have no garage
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
He doesn’t like ghetto mods like plastidip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I had Dr. Wheel repair my wheel and what I found out before he came out is that he repairs wheels for the local Mazda dealership and he matched the paint then he clear coated it with a small air brush we are very happy! 😊
DrFeelGood likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Garage
Repairing allow wheels is fairly easy to do. You can even use a metal filler if there are deep gouges (need to be painted to hide the product). The matching of paint can be the most challenging part.
I refinished mine and used Duplicolor paint with great results. My littlest even hit it with a hammer the other day, because he was "helping out:, with no paint damage. I am amazed really.

I used an ething primer for the bare metal and a filler primer over the top of that and on the sanded powder coating from a previous finish. I then put on the base coat (graphite) and followed it with clear.

I waited a couple weeks and wet sanded them down to the satin finish I was looking for.

After a month I put a protectant on to seal the paint up.

Originally I was going to Powder Coat but having used a metal filler, all the shops around here didn't want to do it as a result of trapped bubbles off gassing and destroying the finish during the application process, or something like that.
Carbon Soul likes this.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Last edited by DrFeelGood; 09-06-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Protestants not used for wheeel sealing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page