thinking about plasti dipping my wheels - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 40 Times in 33 Posts
thinking about plasti dipping my wheels

as much as I think is a cheap way to go about it. I really don't want to buy new wheels yet or even have them powder coated. My touring wheels have clear coat damage since I bought my car used and even though I wash the wheels every week, it has been spreading slowly. I also have curb rash and bubbles. It would cost me more to fix the curb rash and have the wheel repainted than plasti dipping them. Most plasti dippers on here charge way too much money.

I figure I might as well try and do it myself, but I'm a little intimidated by this. The color I want is black with glossifier on top of it. I really don't want to remove the wheels, so I would be using a trash bag to cover the caliper and rotors and just apply tire shine on the tires. I suppose I should remove the center cap or cover it with something

I've been hesitant about doing this since I saw that video of plasti dip gone wrong lmao not to mention is really hot now here Florida and I would have to do this early in the morning or something.

I don't drive my car very much, so it would probably last longer than usual, but who knows, but I'm hating how terrible my wheels are looking now due to the clearcoat peeling and the bubbles

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 06-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

one thing that deters me from trying this is that i live in florida where is always hot and rains a lot, that's probably not good for plastidip
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 753 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,804 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Why don't you want to remove your wheels? Trying to cover your brakes/pads/fender and everything is much more of a hassle (in my opinion) than removing the wheels and not worrying about any of that.

Just do what I did with mine and the index cards: http://forum.mazda6club.com/picture-...ml#post4680986

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Why don't you want to remove your wheels? Trying to cover your brakes/pads/fender and everything is much more of a hassle (in my opinion) than removing the wheels and not worrying about any of that.

Just do what I did with mine and the index cards: http://forum.mazda6club.com/picture-...ml#post4680986
Main reason is because I don't have any equipment so I would have to use the jack and my concern is not removing but being able to tighten properly like a mechanic would, not to mention I would have to do one wheel at a time and leave my car outside sitting on the jack, not sure if safe to leave it like that for long which is what would take to do this per wheel you have to wait 8-10 minutes between coats and is 4 coats

I don't have jack stands either. It is easier for me to just cover with a bag and do it. But I don't know, teach me lmao
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 753 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,804 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
$100 at your local Harbor Freight will get you a nice low-profile jack + 2 stands Can do 2 wheels at a time and not worry about how long it takes - and it will last you years and years.

Or, you could plop the spare on just to let the car rest on it while you're waiting for each rim to dry.

You're absolutely correct, however, that the emergency jack in your trunk isn't for keeping the car off the ground for long periods of time.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
$100 at your local Harbor Freight will get you a nice low-profile jack + 2 stands Can do 2 wheels at a time and not worry about how long it takes - and it will last you years and years.

Or, you could plop the spare on just to let the car rest on it while you're waiting for each rim to dry.

You're absolutely correct, however, that the emergency jack in your trunk isn't for keeping the car off the ground for long periods of time.
I live in an apartment, though I can do this mods, for $100 might as well just use that towards powder coating
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
thinking about plasti dipping my wheels

Clean wheels very well. . Mask the brakes off. Mask around the wheel wells. Even though there isnít ďrealĒ over spray, itís annoyingly to deal with. Tire shine the tires , do not get on the wheel face! Prep wheel face with isopropyl.

1 can of base color per wheel and whatever amount of glossifier you need.

Super easy and really nothing can go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by calcaneous; 06-08-2018 at 08:44 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
Clean wheels very well. . Mask the brakes off. Mask around the wheel wells. Even though there isnít ďrealĒ over spray, itís annoyingly to deal with. Tire shine the tires , do not get on the wheel face! Prep wheel face with isopropyl.

1 can of base color per wheel and whatever amount of glossifier you need.

Super easy and really nothing can go wrong.

I contacted an expert through social media and they want $75 per wheel just for a black color

4 cans + 1 gloss would be like 30-35 bucks
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
I contacted an expert through social media and they want $75 per wheel just for a black color

4 cans + 1 gloss would be like 30-35 bucks

Labor isnít free.

You are paying them clean, prep, spray and hopefully some kind of warranty/fixes for a bit.

Those supplies and labor adds up.

I say just try it yourself. It peels off, so itís not like itís going to ruin anything.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

So, I'm done with the third coat on one wheel and it starts pouring rain. I checked the weather and it didn't say anything about rain for today. This is why I hate doing shit like this and living in an apartment. 1 year ago I found a dude who would plasti dip 4 wheels for $60 and I lost his number now I can't find him anywhere

Now I can't go anywhere and have to wait for this to pass, so I can assess how it looks.

This is why I don't like doing ghetto mods like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page