Car Choice Help: What should I do about Mazda screwing over Uppity americans like me? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Car Choice Help: What should I do about Mazda screwing over Uppity americans like me?

I hate when people do gripe threads, but I've spent like 2 weeks of time trying to figure out how to import a Mazda 6 GT with a stick from Canada because the US doesn't get it.

What frustrates me the most about it is there is no reason you shouldn't at least be able to order it? Mazda North America- One single operational entity- controls both. Its not like a US company with a Canadian subsidiary. Its only one!

I've had comments about how dumb it is to do that because you lose the warranty, and how you have to pay 25% in taxes once you add it all up...

But the kicker here is money isn't my primary concern. I'd probably not hesitate to pay 40 grand for a mazda 6 GT in the US. There is NO Manual Transmission car available in the US that is a full size for under 40 grand with even moderate feature sets. BMW and Cadillacs have discontinued them. The only one close is a Chevrolet SS, but after gas guzzler tax and such your over 50 grand and straddled with 14 MPG, which is like a lifelong tax (Calculate at over 10 grand over the life of the vehicle assuming gas doesn't go over $3 a gallon over the next 8 years) That means the Chevrolet SS costs more than 60 grand.

Am I "uppity" for expecting GT-like features such as Memory seats for me and my wife, Leather, heated seats, GPS, Autodimming Mirrors, and a sunroof? Maybe, but every car I've owned in the last 15 years has had those types of features so I'm used to them and I like them, but most frustrating is they are available, just not with my transmission. My kids can't sit in the back of a small car, and big cars all stink.

The Honda Accord does come with a manual, but only base trims- everywhere. Its a little frustrating, but less so since they don't actually appear to make that car for anyone in the North American market. For Mazda however, they are making the car right now, but they can send it to Windsor and not Detroit? Like it wouldn't cost them anything to offer it in the US- No testing necessary, no EPA certifications, not even a different corporate entity... they have all that covered.

I feel so lost, and I just don't get it. I literally don't know what to do. I love my old Cadillac, but its in the shop monthly- literally. I just can't afford the TIME to deal with it. At this exact moment, my car is sitting at my house waiting to tow it to a shop. It was good to me, but I put MASSIVE miles on it since 2008. The only reason I didn't sell it 2 years ago is I couldn't find a car I was at all satisfied with until I found the Mazda 6. It is everything I want in a car, but despite being just 3 hours away from the nearest Canadian dealer...

I was actually ready to "settle" for the touring. I had talked to a shop that would put leather, heated seats, and the sunroof in it for about 3 grand. They want $300 more for the GPS. Still I'm settling for a lot I wanted, but it seemed like the closest I could get... that was until I discovered that 3 hours away everything I wanted sat on the lot. Now doing that just feels like "Failure". I like all those awesome options on the GT...

Wish it could just be simple, but I'm left with 4 choices:
1. Suck up potentially a lost warranty, 25% in taxes, 2 vacation days, and questionable OEM policy to import from Canada
2. Suck up lack of features I want, loss of Thousands of dollars, and warranty-less modifications from a 3rd party custom shop on a Touring.
3. Suck up the $25,000 in wasted money I don't value in the Chevy SS.
4. Suck up $20kish in wasted money for no value and buy a 5 year old 60k mileage used car like the Porsche Panamera (and face this same challenge in 4 years

They are all "lose lose" scenarios, and when you look at all of the crappy solutions, suddenly the "Import from Canada" option doesn't seem so crazy.

Frustrated that I can't understand the "why" they can't just sell it to me easily.

While I am griping, I just keep "hoping" someone can help me. Someone can tell me that "wait the warranty isn't void", "Wait Mazda doesn't ban exporting the M6", "Wait Mazda announced the stick GT is coming next year to America", "Wait all Mazdas us a common control module and all you have to do is plug and play the features you want", or "Hey, I have a used 2017 Mazda 6 GT for sale". even better would be, "My Father is Masahiro Moro, and he said he will make an exception for you to have your 2017 Mazda 6 GT here in the United States"

Should I hold out for used? (Used doesn't have any export limits, warranty limits, or tax limits), pray it shows up in the 2018 model? or am I SOL?

My 30 year old self would want to smack me right now, but I feel like I'm getting too old to spend 8 years in a car I'm unhappy with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Ahhh, not sure if US and Canada share the same regulatory requirements. Chances are importing from Canada is prevented by US government regulations.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Ahhh, not sure if US and Canada share the same regulatory requirements. Chances are importing from Canada is prevented by US government regulations.
That one I did verify. The Mazda 6s sold in Canada meet the US safety and emissions requirements. The US Government is perfectly fine with you importing it. Its actually the OEMs that try to prevent it, but there are no gov't laws preventing it.

the US Gov't will charge you 2.5% at the border (slightly more complex at this, you don't pay tax on the first $400 and then the next 10%, so the effective rate is lower... on a $30,000 car you pay 2.5% of 26,640, or $666.). Which really equates to about 2.22%.

What you cannot import is a car not certified in the US under 25 years old. The Mazda 6 however IS certified for the US safety and emissions.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the biggest issue is EPA certification, by model and drive train. In this case, I don't see any difference, but we are, in fact dealing with a government entity.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 08:03 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Thanked 1,135 Times in 825 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
I totally agree with everything you said, arachnyd.

IMO Mazda has pretty much f*cked the enthusiasts over the past few years. Yes, I completely understand the reason why they're dumping millions into crossovers, but at the expense of the buyers that have kept them in business over the past 15 years? The fact that there's a complete lack of a MS3 and MS6 is simply inexcusable, especially for a company that says "DRIVING matters". It's not "passengers matter" or "fuel economy matters".

1. There should be a MTX option with ALL cars, ALL packages, ALL options. 'Nuff said.
2. Throw in the turbo-4 into the 6! It doesn't need to be AWD, it just needs cajones!
3. If MazdaSpeed is technically their "performance" division, then why aren't they offering MS "performance" parts? You can buy a crate V8 from Ford, but not even a turbo or exhaust system from Mazda?

And don't sweat posting up a gripe thread, that's what 6Club is for, so true enthusiasts like us can speak our minds! It's just too bad Mazda has gone deaf...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
It's too bad...we all feel for you. As you had suggested I guess you could look for a used 2016 GT from Canada (I know they are probably hard to come by with a stick shift). Good luck!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
If manual tranny is your top priority, another option is to swap the tranny. It might be cheaper to do it here. I am sure there are new manual tranny here in the US. Do some research.

2014 Mazda 6 GT (daily driver)
2012 Mustang GT Premium w/Koni Sport
2012 MDX Tech
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 PM
GWL

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Canadian Dollar is low these past 2 years, so you're saving about 30%.
When the Canadian dollar was at par with the US dollar I was very tempted to import a US car up here, savings were huge.
Like you said a pain in the ass for paperwork and some dealers won't sell to Canadians.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I did A LOT of research into this and was very close to pulling the trigger. It was my understanding that the warranty would be valid as long as the car stayed in North America. The key issue is that a Canadian dealer cannot sell the new car to a US citizen, so you either have to find a used one, or have someone purchase the new one for you, then sell it to you. I was actually in talks with some guys about doing this for me for a $500 fee. PM me your email and I'll forward you my conversation with the guy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
I would have pulled the trigger on a manual GT if available as my past manual transmission cars were a few generation 7 Honda Accord EX-L's. Instead I went with a 6 Touring that is missing some of the features I miss such as heated mirrors and seats. I have upgraded the sound system to point that I'm only missing XM but take full advantage of Pandora and music on a USB stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_passenger_side_rear.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	771.6 KB
ID:	194714   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD Save the Manuals.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	194722  

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page