How do you think we could improve safety on public roads? - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnt View Post
I'm writing my term paper on this, so i thought meh, might as well ask a bunch of car nuts.
How can we improve public safety on our roads and highways with the high volume of automobiles that travel upon them.
What do you think are problems with public roadways currently,that cause accidents / casualties. with that being said, what solutions can we propose to those problems?

Personally to prevent speeders, (yes even 10 over'ers) the county should place sensors randomly on side of road (discrete) and in the road that detect how fast you are going, and if the speed is X amount over the speed limit, a camera up the road takes a picture before you have the chance to slow down. I also believe there should be more driver training, as people are horrible at driving and do the most absurd things. (especially here in california) Maybe widening the roads, to reduce traffic, less stops and stop signs prevent confusion, reducing possible collisions. What do you think most common accidents are? T bone?

Just food for thought if you'd like to chip and state your opinion or ideas.

bunch of car nuts...haha good one xD safety on the roads is a big problem, really from day to day there re more and more accidents, i think more training is appropriate and raising the public awareness that driving in an angry manner will not get them faster home than driving within speed limit, the worst thing is drinkin and driving i mean come on, just get a gun and shoot some one in the head its less painfull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
not sure if it was already mentioned, but we should definitely have more roundabouts instead of stop signs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'd venture to guess more people, trees, fences, and gaurdrails will be hit in 2014 by people texting/F'g off instead of paying attention than drunks will be issued tickets.
In this town the shear number of drivers on smart phones is going to get us killed or devices banned in general. I'll opt in for imposing outrageous fines to those caught using mobile devices which cause accidents.
Hell, most of the drunks are trying to pay attention. Can't say the same for the others.

For your class pick a busy street and count the number of people screwing off. It will be alarming.

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHsing99 View Post
not sure if it was already mentioned, but we should definitely have more roundabouts instead of stop signs
God no. Roundabouts fucking suck unless they're gigantic. They took out the stop sign and put in a roundabout on the road leading to my neighborhood, and all it managed to do is create confusion and slow everybody down. It's too tight of an area for many vehicles to go through it properly, so people end up getting up on the curb. It's nowhere near big enough to actually fit two vehicles unless both are going straight in opposite directions, so when somebody needs to turn, the whole line has to stop.

Roundabouts are a stupid waste of space and time unless they're placed in a very large intersection where they don't impede the flow of traffic.

post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
Roundabouts are a stupid waste of space and time unless they're placed in a very large intersection where they don't impede the flow of traffic.
That's exactly the point of a roundabout. They should not impede the flow of traffic as much as a stop sign if designed properly. I believe mythbusters tested the efficiency of a roundabout vs a 4 way stop and the roundabout allowed more cars to go through given a set amount of time.

The hard part is educating the average american driver on how to approach and use a roundabout properly

The diverging diamond intersection is also a great way to improve safety

post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHsing99 View Post
That's exactly the point of a roundabout. They should not impede the flow of traffic as much as a stop sign if designed properly. I believe mythbusters tested the efficiency of a roundabout vs a 4 way stop and the roundabout allowed more cars to go through given a set amount of time.

The hard part is educating the average american driver on how to approach and use a roundabout properly

The diverging diamond intersection is also a great way to improve safety
I completely believe that in large intersections, roundabouts can improve traffic. However, the majority of intersections that are currently controlled by stop signs in the US are small intersections, and the roundabouts would make things worse in those intersections. Bigger intersections tend to have lights, which also work perfectly fine as they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page