How do you think we could improve safety on public roads? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Enforce minimum speeds. People that go under the speed limit only endanger themselves and others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
Enforce minimum speeds. People that go under the speed limit only endanger themselves and others.
True that, make old people take the bus xD

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
I honestly think a manual transmission and less driver aids is one point. People are starting to rely on their cars too much now. Even a simple rear view camera can cause problems because it doesn't give you a full range of view.

Also on a side note steering wheel buttons get on my nerves

When ever i drive manual cars I am more alert with everything around me. Almost planning out what my next move will be whether ill need to down shift or move to a different lane.

As for roads, people need to start respecting the right lane passing, left lane cruising rule. Not only will there be less accidents on the road, random moments of traffic will be gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2006 Mazda 6S GT ---SOLD
Corksport LED Fog,Interior Kit, Stubby Antenna, K&N Drop In, Muffler/Resonator/Cat Delete, Airbox Mod, GTA Car Kit
2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/ Tech Package- Purple Drank Tuned BNR S3 15% in tank Methanol
The Following User Says Thank You to AlikaMasika6 For This Useful Post:
Riki desu (10-30-2013)
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnt View Post

Personally to prevent speeders..........
Speed, in and of itself, is not dangerous, although it does usually increase the extent of damage in a collision or crash (can't deny E=mv^2) Speeding needs to be taken in context of driving conditions, traffic flow and volume, and reason. 5 mph, or even 10 mph, over a posted limit, when weather is good and there is little traffic, is entirely safe, with a trained driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWSpeed6 View Post
Automatic transmissions scare the sh*t out me, especially in parking lots frequented by the very elderly who sometimes press on the wrong pedal intending to brake.
So, are you saying to give the old folks a stick and another pedal to make things easier for them? If they can't handle an automatic, then a manual surely isn't the answer. If it were possible, put more distance between the brake and gas pedals, then MAYBE they'd hit the right one.
Quote:
Edit: there are new systems that automatically apply the brakes if a crash is imminent. I saw a review on "5th gear" (all european models) and those systems seem to work well for the most part. At least they could help with reducing injury and death. They're definitely not a solution to anything.
I certainly don't want MY car to start thinking for me. Training and vigilance when you're the driver is the better way, unless you eliminate the driver altogether, and then, I'm taking the train. When cars have so many built-in "safety features", people inherently begin to depend on them without consideration of their surroundings or the complete picture. In other words, we get lazy.

I think there are entirely too many distractions today for drivers. Multitasking is a phantom and a lie; the human brain can focus on only ONE task at a time. What we call "multitasking" is actually a shift in focus from one thing to another over very short periods of time, and minimizing how many of these shifts occur dictates how much we can pay attention to the others.

I'm not only a staunch proponent of "NO texting while driving", but also "NO cellphoning while driving" There is nothing so important you can't let it go to voicemail until your next stop; if you are expecting something Earth-shattering to come in, stop the car first and then answer the phone. I've followed people for 15-20 miles and the've had the phone to their ear the whole time. tell me they're paying full attention to their driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
I'll buy that one, but sometimes driving the posted speed can be too slow, given some circumstances where traffic is flowing substantially above the posted limits.

I feel more dire consequences should be written into some traffic laws. Such as:

Immediate and permanent seizure of your car for DWI, in addition to even lower blood-alcohol limits, and NO second offense arguments. If you've had one DWI, the second one should have mandatory jail time, no plea bargain, no appeal. Heck, I'd be in favor of that for a 1st offense.

Loss of license for 1st texting-while-driving. Minimum of one year suspension, 90 day impoundment of vehicle.

Aggressive driving, impoundment of car for 90 days, $500 fine, and car not returned until payment of fine.

See where I'm going with this? Take people's cars when they prove they can't stay within the law.

Now, go to "the other side". Better training and more specific parameters for law enforcement personnel. Take most of the individual judgment out of the equation. I've talked to several HP in my state; they will not say how much leeway they personally give on speeding, but they do say, to a man, that it is their individual judgment on what constitutes a violation of a particular traffic law, even if there are specific criteria written in the vehicle code. In other words, one LEO might allow less leeway than the stated provisions of a law than what the specified provisions are. Then it's up to YOU to defend yourself in court, which ain't free, whether you beat it or not.

US drivers have it easy. License is cheap, enforcement is uneven. We should take the European model, more specifically, the German one. License is more expensive, driver education more strenuous, enforcement more equitable.

Last edited by 2mazdaherd; 10-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mazdaherd View Post
So, are you saying to give the old folks a stick and another pedal to make things easier for them? If they can't handle an automatic, then a manual surely isn't the answer. If it were possible, put more distance between the brake and gas pedals, then MAYBE they'd hit the right one.
I am saying that with a manual transmission, it would PROBABLY take more steps + some additional coordination to make a car suddenly accelerate and run over everything in its way until it stops inside a store.

2007 mazdaspeed6 GT | ti. gray |

Bolted + BNR S3 turbo. Tuned w/ COBB AP.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

what about some type of system in the car where you have to hit a button or something randomly to make sure you're paying attention and if you dont, it does something. also what about a thing in the car that blocks cell signals after 10 have been received or sent

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 10
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnt View Post
what about some type of system in the car where you have to hit a button or something randomly to make sure you're paying attention and if you dont, it does something. also what about a thing in the car that blocks cell signals after 10 have been received or sent

Wouldnt you start paying attention when it came time to hit that button?

304whp/360tq Vdyno 1.01 CF
Cobb AP, Sure 3" Full3 Aeros Intake, Autotech Internals, M2 DP, 3" CP-E Single Exit (w/resonator), 3.25" ETS, PnP'ed IM w/VTCS removed, 1/16"Sure TIG spacer Synapse BPV, AWR 70 Duro RMM, JBR 70 Duro TMM, Denso 1-Step Colder Plugs, TWM Shifter Bushings, SM OCC, Custom Shift Knob, Custom Shifter Weight, SURE Shorcut, H&R Springs, Tenzo DC-6 Wheels

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Thanked 1,093 Times in 873 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Require Driver's Ed program every time you have to renew license.

Other than that, remove distractions, automatically deny MA residents a license.

2006 Mazda 6s GS | Hatchback | Tungsten Gray

|
|
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 786 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2907 Post(s)
Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,857 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmceorange View Post
Require Driver's Ed program every time you have to renew license.

Other than that, remove distractions, automatically deny MA residents a license.
Whoa whoa whoa - MOST of MA

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
mmceorange (10-05-2013)
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Well i completely forgot, but how could we increase the safety of pedestrians? I thought maybe a rail between road and the bike lane and sidewalk, maybe more skywalks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page