post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Alloy Pedals Installed

Last weekend I installed the Mazda accessory alloy pedals in my 2018. Technically, the footrest and the accelerator are “pedal covers” that attach to existing pieces. The brake pedal cover was a full swap.

The install was pretty straightforward. It took about an hour. If there’s enough interest I can post some pics of the process and more details. Overall it was easy but the biggest pain was having to work in a smallish area and maneuver tools and my arms.

The dead pedal cover comes with the alloy cover that goes on top of the existing carpet and a plate that mounts under the carpet. The alloy cover screws into the plate.

As I mentioned, the standard brake pedal rubber cover comes off and the new one goes on. It took some patience because the rubber lip is a TIGHT fit. Took about 15 min with a stubby flat head screwdriver to get it on.

The accelerator pedal wasn’t difficult but I was most concerned about this one. 2 (two) holes have to be drilled into the existing pedal and I took my time to make sure I measured and attached the template correctly. I ended up boring out one hole just a bit too much but the grommet is holding firm. I don’t think it will be an issue.

The mod easily adds at least 30hp

I had these on my 2016 GT and liked them. With the 2018 black and aluminum interior I think it compliments the interior especially well. Note, the processs is most likely the same for most 3rd gen models but there are some slightly different part numbers. Be sure to confirm correct P/N for your particular year.

A close up shot.

jim94610 likes this.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve

Last edited by Trippp; 01-03-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Hi Tripp. Looks nice. Do you have a link to where you purchased?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Those look really nice. Good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippp View Post
Last weekend I installed the Mazda accessory alloy pedals in my 2018. Technically, the footrest and the accelerator are ďpedal coversĒ that attach to existing pieces. The brake pedal cover was a full swap.

The install was pretty straightforward. It took about an hour. If thereís enough interest I can post some pics of the process and more details. Overall it was easy but the biggest pain was having to work in a smallish area and maneuver tools and my arms.

The dead pedal cover comes with the alloy cover that goes on top of the existing carpet and a plate that mounts under the carpet. The alloy cover screws into the plate.

As I mentioned, the standard brake pedal rubber cover comes off and the new one goes on. It took some patience because the rubber lip is a TIGHT fit. Took about 15 min with a stubby flat head screwdriver to get it on.

The accelerator pedal wasnít difficult but I was most concerned about this one. 2 (two) holes have to be drilled into the existing pedal and I took my time to make sure I measured and attached the template correctly. I ended up boring out one hole just a bit too much but the grommet is holding firm. I donít think it will be an issue.

The mod easily adds at least 30hp

I had these on my 2016 GT and liked them. With the 2018 black and aluminum interior I think it comeplments the interior especially well. Note, the processs is most likely the same for most 3rd gen models but there are some slightly different part numbers. Be sure to confirm correct P/N for your particular year.

A close up shot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I really like the look, reminds me of the Mazdaspeed 6 pedals. Except that you seem to be missing a pedal.
Trippp likes this.

Beep Beep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:29 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
I like them much better in the Chestnut interior - looks great. I had the set from my '16 3 that I kept before trading it in. I had full intention of installing them in my 6, but they just didn't look good with the Parchment contrast. So I left them off.

Job well done on the install. That brake pedal is always a little challenging the first time around.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quick question: Does this materially change the height of the dead pedal? And what is under the dead pedal?

Dead pedal height is my #1 gripe about this car. It's so damn tall that it puts quite a bit more pressure against the left foot due to being drastically closer to the driver than the gas/brake pedal. I find myself hanging my left foot against the side of the dead pedal more and more frequently due to this (which is not a good thing considering my reconstructed knees do not like having my leg bent at an angle with an extreme angle of the foot compared to "flat").

I've been thinking about pulling the dead pedal out entirely to do a 3D scan, modify, then 3D print a much shorter dead pedal But I didn't want to open a can of worms if it was housing part of the fuse block or wire harness under there (as was in a few other cars i've had).

9 cars and 2 parking spots, this doesn't make any sense.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Leon View Post
Quick question: Does this materially change the height of the dead pedal? And what is under the dead pedal?

Dead pedal height is my #1 gripe about this car. It's so damn tall that it puts quite a bit more pressure against the left foot due to being drastically closer to the driver than the gas/brake pedal. I find myself hanging my left foot against the side of the dead pedal more and more frequently due to this (which is not a good thing considering my reconstructed knees do not like having my leg bent at an angle with an extreme angle of the foot compared to "flat").

I've been thinking about pulling the dead pedal out entirely to do a 3D scan, modify, then 3D print a much shorter dead pedal But I didn't want to open a can of worms if it was housing part of the fuse block or wire harness under there (as was in a few other cars i've had).
I haven't taken the 6 apart to find out what is behind the dead pedal. But if it's like my 3 was, it's just a piece of Styrofoam. so you may be in luck for changing the distance of the dead pedal. But the carpet is also contoured to the dead pedal so I can't see you changing the height of the dead pedal without having to cut some carpet as well to make sure it's still fits good

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment

Last edited by Chazzy J; 01-03-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Leon View Post
Chazzy J is correct. Thereís a block of styrofoam behind the dead pedal and the carpet is snugly contoured. You could take out or reduce the styrofoam but carpet fitment would be an issue. Given itís not in direct site, that might not matter for you if overall it improves comfort.

To get to it is easy. Remove the plastic scuff plate ... pull the inside lip of each end towards the interior and then lift up. Pull up the rubber seam/door gasket trim around the kick panel area. The kick panel is held in by one thumb screw nut in the back above the dead pedal and a couple clips. Peel back the carpet.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Thanks guys!

Might just measure what height I want the dead pedal at, then make 2 simple cuts to remove that amount of material from the center, then epoxy the foot surface back to the stand.

9 cars and 2 parking spots, this doesn't make any sense.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
those look great! I need these but with the extra pedal!

Current Vehicles:
2017 Mazda 6 Touring w/ Manual, 2009 Nissan GTR Premium, 1998 Honda Prelude SH

Past Vehicles:

2000 Corvette FRC, 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST, 1990 Nissan Maxima SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page