Lookig For Sound Deadening Tips - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Lookig For Sound Deadening Tips

I am looking for tips on making the inside of the car a bit quieter. Basically I had not driven the car on any kind of road trip since I gutted the exhaust and installed a MagnaFlow muffler back in early September. Yesterday I drove the car to from my house to Cleveland about an hour long drive. Simply put at 70mph for an hour I came to realize that the car was very loud inside the exhaust sound becomes very deep around 2100rpm so much so it will cause any change in the cupholders to rattle, this wouldn't be an issue if that was not the EXACT engine speed at 70mph.

So now my question, I have never had to worry about sound deadening before so I don't know much about it. I have heard of Dynamat and I have looked into it and realized its kind of expensive. Does it really work that good? Does anyone have ideas of cheaper alternatives? The majority of the noise comes from the back of the car so I'm thinking there's not much insulation back there to begin with.

Just in case anyone wants to know the car is a 2007 6S Hatch
Thanks for any advice

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Search "MLV" - Mass Loaded Vinyl and you will find a number of very comprehensive / good entries by Tickerguy about sound deadening... not so many days ago, BTW. Less than two wks ago.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
The Following User Says Thank You to Cdn17Sport6MT For This Useful Post:
bluedevil6 (10-28-2018)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Groans: 2
See about p. 3 of this thread: "To 2018 or not to 2018"

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
... this wouldn't be an issue if that was not the EXACT engine speed at 70mph. ...

I have never heard a better excuse to drive faster.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
did you ever mess with this yet? that's exhaust drone. welcome to the ford world. lol. gutted exhaust does it and magnaflow does it, so you have a two part problem with a lot of different solutions. google magnaflow exhaust drone. you have solutions from adding an exhaust resonator, to adding weight to the pipe, to adding an additional hanger(or changing the ones you have to be softer or firmer).

in my mustang if it really bugs me and i can't change my speed, i put it in 4th instead of 5th so it's less bass-y.... it's a free fix. but my car has a manual trans.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
I ended up getting this I have done the trunk/hatch so far and it really helped cut the noise (I did end up doubling up some of it in hindsight I probably should have bought the thicker stuff) I am planning on slowly working my way up to the front of the car mostly the doors, I also think I need to tear apart the trunk again and use more of it on the inner panels. When I decided to do the exhaust I got a little caught up in how awesome it sounded on the outside and kind of forgot about how it would sound inside lol. I should probably add that I don't mind hearing the exhaust, I just need it to be slightly quieter for longer trips at 60-70mph it would previously cause any change or keys in the cupholders to literally vibrate and rattle around the 2100rpm range, the EXACT rpm range at 65-70mph. as of right now if you listen in the trunk you can not hear ANYTHING from the floor of the trunk anymore.

@RobertD I had never thought of altering the weight of the pipe or the hangers to change the noise that makes a lot of sense, thanks.

LINK--

--LINK

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page