Katzkin Leather Seats installed - Mahogany - more bold/bright than expected! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By bayareacraig

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katzkin Leather Seats installed - Mahogany - more bold/bright than expected!

This is my third Katzkin interior (the first was on my Gen1 3s), so I should have remembered that the colors end up being lighter in person against a dark interior, than the samples and squares in the swatch-book (although they are exactly the same colors, it's just a "trick of the eye" depending on the background). BTW this is a 2018 Sport 6 MT.

It looks "saddle" at times, and "pumpkin" at times. (Or maybe that's just a Halloween weekend thing, not sure.) I do like it, though, and I expect that when I add the tint, it will calm down the color.

This is their "premium" or "upgraded" kit, with leather on the faces of seats, headrests and rear armrest, and then they use matching grained synthetic (vinyl basically) on the ends/sides and front seatbacks. I also had them do the door panel inserts, which added $300 to the cost. Ended up costing me $1975 OTD. They remove the original seating fabric/cover completely down to the foam, and then pull the new leather over the foam and fasten it down. Typical 3-year/36,000-mile warranty. In my experience it holds up very well, just don't abuse it, don't leave metal propane tanks on it, don't put sharp stuff in your back pockets and sit on it, clean up spills promptly, etc., etc. To clean it, use a damp clean cloth or diluted Lexol leather cleaner (orange bottle), dry it, and it should be conditioned with Lexol Leather Conditioner (brown bottle), every few months or so.

The Katzkin web site lets you model the options (two-tones in various designs), and you can also do contrasting stitching. Piping is discouraged as it doesn't wear well. My favorite two-tone pattern is "Centers." Mazda has used the "Faces" design in some of their OEM interiors. I prefer something more custom-looking. You can play with the colors more than what the web site suggests. Install takes 2 days, and the installer typically can receive the ordered kit within 2-3 days (depending on geo location and how crazy you go with colors/design). The leather is dyed, not painted.

On Black or White vehicles, I think the Medium Red (a darker red) or Cognac would look fantastic. On Soul Red or Deep Crystal Blue vehicles, I think Camel could be a good color, especially with a Sand interior (double-check it, though, with a swatch). On Machine Gray, if the pictured Mahogany is too bold, step up to Coffee. I think that would look fabulous - should be a little lighter than the brown we see in our top level trims. Coffee would also look great on Soul Red with black interior. Silver vehicles may be ideal for a sporty two-tone Centers design.

https://katzkin.com/product-options/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Mz6-S_Katzkin_Mahogany_Rear-Window.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	224654   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Mz6-S_Katzkin_Mahogany_LF-POV.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	224656   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Mz6-S_Katzkin_Mahogany_RF-POV.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	224658   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Mz6-S_Katzkin_Mahogany_Rear.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	224660  
LIMazda6, GTEyes and fernando8877 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Looks fantastic!! Love it. Great freaking choice and great job to the installer

Thanks for sharing

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment

Last edited by Chazzy J; 10-27-2018 at 05:57 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
I agree - it looks amazing! What a huge improvement over the stock cloth interior. Thanks for posting the photos for us.

Katzkin makes a really high quality product. I'm already sold based on my previous experience with them. I installed a Katzkin leather interior on a Nissan 240SX I owned - 70,000 miles later, the interior still looked new. I wouldn't hesitate to install one of these kits on my 6 if/when the leatherette wears out.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 10-29-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Wow! Looks great. Nice contrasting tones for the interior.

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards|OEM Cargo Net|LED Courtesy Lights|LED License Plate Lights|OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit|Remote Start
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thank you all! It definitely takes the car to the next level; it no longer looks (or feels) like a base model, for sure. I also feel that the leather color adds some interest to the otherwise common gray exterior. They do work together. And as someone mentioned, the cloth was just... weird. Almost like a very thick felt. The Leatherette seems to be a very good quality. They just swung and missed with the strange cloth. I would have changed it anyway, though.

Yeah the Katzkin on my 2004 3s is still going strong. My niece now drives that car. The Katzkin in my 2014 Forester XT (Premium came with cloth seats) still looks new.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Very impressive. I think you made the right choice...looks OEM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareacraig View Post
And as someone mentioned, the cloth was just... weird. Almost like a very thick felt...

...Yeah the Katzkin on my 2004 3s is still going strong. My niece now drives that car. The Katzkin in my 2014 Forester XT (Premium came with cloth seats) still looks new.
I think it might have been me who mentioned the cloth looked terrible...Weird is an understatement. It looks so damn cheap - like cloth seat covers rather than factory upholstery.

I'm so impressed with the durability of katzkin leather - I installed the kit on my 240SX myself, and was impressed with how thick the hides were as I was installing it. I never expected how well they'd wear at the time. OEM leather would have looked noticeable more worn with the same mileage, and didn't look nearly as good in terms of design as my Katzkin kit did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page