LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driver’s seat swap...?

Acknowledging there are subtle but distinct differences within the 1st Generation group as far as connectors, etc are concerned (as an example, I know the clock/radio/temp LCD panel that has issues in a lot of 2004-2005 cars (including mine) can’t be directly swapped with one from 2006-2008 because they rewired the connector from 16 to 10 pins), is it possible to direct swap a driver’s seat from a 2008 6s Sport 5 door into my 2004 6s wagon?

My seat has 3 issues, the right side bolster on the back of the seat is rolled over to the point that side of the seat is basically flat. The lumbar support doesn’t work and almost worst of all, the seat heater feels like it’s burning a hole in the back of my left thigh; not an especially pleasant experience.

I know someone who has a 2008 hatchback that he’s about to scrap and he’s open to ‘trading’ seats. I know the mounts will match, my concern is the electrical - motors, seat heaters & airbags.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Garage
The gen 1.5 seats are quite different than the gen 1.0 seats. I don't know for certain, but I believe the wiring is different between the two in addition to the shape. Do you have airbag seats? That would be the part I would not want to mess with. You might be able to solder swap the connectors and get the seat to work, but my concern would be for the airbag.
DrFeelGood likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Driver’s seat swap...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
The gen 1.5 seats are quite different than the gen 1.0 seats. I don't know for certain, but I believe the wiring is different between the two in addition to the shape. Do you have airbag seats? That would be the part I would not want to mess with. You might be able to solder swap the connectors and get the seat to work, but my concern would be for the airbag.
I do have airbags, yes, and that’s also my largest concern. The specific look of the seats doesn’t bother me too greatly; if it does work, I’ll swap both front seats and leave the back seats as-is.

I’m hoping to find a solid answer in advance as we won’t be able to get together until Thursday. If it can’t work, it’ll save both of us a trip to his car (which is sitting in his mother in law’s driveway).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
03-05 are a direct swap. 06-08 requires changing/repinning the plugs, but after that they do work as intended.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Driver’s seat swap...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
03-05 are a direct swap. 06-08 requires changing/repinning the plugs, but after that they do work as intended.
Thanks very much. Do you know if the plugs from my existing seats can be simply cut off and spliced into the 2008 seats (the donor car is being scrapped) or are the connectors wired completely differently?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 01:36 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
I am with @waughoo. I am most concerned with the sensor /controller interface for the airbags. For mine I grabbed side curtain bags and the side bolsters when I added the "Luxury Package". I also pulled the airbag control module (behind HVAC console). The options within the same year are sedan or 5=door/wagon and side curtain or no-curtain for a total of 4 combinations (I believe).

I went from a 05/2004 S wagon to a 06/2004 S wagon

The way that Mazda recommends for airbag testing is with the dashboard light. It should remain illuminated for approximately 6 seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. If this does not happen the airbags are not armed and you must then use the onboard diagnostic. Make sure all connections are connected or disconnected with the battery disconnected and residual current bled (~1min)

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Driver’s seat swap...?

All things being equal, I think I’ll be better off riding it out until I can stumble across a 2003-2005 wagon with a solid black leather interior, rather than risk blowing an airbag while sitting in the driveway; it just seems the risk/reward isn’t quite there without paint-by-numbers step by step instructions.

I’m confident enough in my lack of confidence in auto electronics to know when to put this one in the ‘maybe not such a great idea’ file.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page