Driver’s seat swap...? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate you coming back and updating with the results and extra work needed. Much nicer than another abandoned thread

Tungsten Gray 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Touring - Finally another 1st Gen 6 to play with! New-to-me Oct 2018 with 107K miles!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Performance White 2003 6i Sport - dead, after 240K miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Garage
@blackerphotos ... thanks for the pic. Looking forward to seeing the pic of the seats. Now what you need to do is swap in the speed 6 trim on the doors and center consol!! That's what I did, and i must say it looks really slick in my wagon. Here's a video tour I did after I got it done.

https://youtu.be/KGhnsPuKoR4
dcoulombe likes this.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Now what you need to do is swap in the speed 6 trim on the doors and center consol!!
Man, that looks amazing. Sadly, I have only seen two Speeds that were available for parts and they were both mentioned with photographs being in a wrecker about an hour from me and they were both pretty trashed.

Any further interior mods are a little way down my list with a couple of pending exceptions, but I’m keeping everything pretty close to the vest for a ‘grand reveal’ in the spring.

I’ll get you an interior pic tomorrow of my ‘new’ seats.

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
Great vid @waughoo I love the speed6 mods, but I canít get over your paint! Itís ssoooo shiny and clean itís like looking into a mirror !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:38 AM

Garage
Thanks guys I have an itch to make a DIY or at least a tour of the speed 6 interior mod, but I burned out after getting the whole thing back together. I hope to get it up at some point because I'd love to share it with the fellow 1st gen crowd before there aren't any left.

As for the paint, that was another giant project. I did a full paint correction that started simply enough but grew to a rather long project. I now do a Griot's cleaner sealer product sometime in the late summer to avoid having to do another paint correction. It was a rather rewarding job. In the sunshine the metal flake really reflects the light.

I don't know that I'd do it again, but I'm happy now that it's done to enjoy it.

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Here's a Before (top) and After of the seat swap, going from my original 04 front seats to the 'new' 08 seats. Clearly they're a different design, but they're close enough to the styling of the rears that if, in the unlikely event I should ever sell the car, the buyer won't know...unless they know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatSwap.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	226002  
bluedevil6 likes this.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
Here's a Before (top) and After of the seat swap, going from my original 04 front seats to the 'new' 08 seats. Clearly they're a different design, but they're close enough to the styling of the rears that if, in the unlikely event I should ever sell the car, the buyer won't know...unless they know.

Looks really good, no offense to anyone but when it comes to personal preference I like the later seat design more I know itís a subtle difference but just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
Looks really good, no offense to anyone but when it comes to personal preference I like the later seat design more I know it’s a subtle difference but just my opinion
Thanks man. The differences are pretty subtle cosmetically. The 08 seats do feel more supportive. I don’t know if that’s the age between the two seats or if they used a firmer foam post-facelift, but I can feel a noticeable difference.

The ONLY downside is the source car for these particular 08 seats was somehow missing five of the eight seat rail caps. On my next trip to the wreckers I’ll have to see if there’s a facelift car or two that has the ones I’m missing.

Other than that, for $150 for the two seats themselves (plus another $40 for the two seatbelt buckles from the wrecker), I’m pretty happy with the end result.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 PM

Garage
I do agree that the later seat looks better. Good on ya @blackerphotos for figuring it all out. I considered it but chickened out when I started to look into it. Plus, my current seats are pretty tidy despite their age.

Alex
---}
{---

, and
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I do agree that the later seat looks better. Good on ya @blackerphotos for figuring it all out. I considered it but chickened out when I started to look into it. Plus, my current seats are pretty tidy despite their age.
Thanks. Ultimately my airbag light was a case of the 08 SRS system looking for well under 1 ohm (0.002 ohms) resistance across the seatbelt switch and the 04 SRS system looking for more than 1 ohm resistance that the 04 buckle switch provide. Replacing the 08 buckles with 04 cleared that and also returned the seatbelt light to full function - with the 08 buckles it was out all the time. With the 04 buckles it’s back to staying on (with the chime) until the driver’s belt is clipped in.

It should also be mentioned for anyone who wants to do this in the future, that the 08 seatbelt buckle fastens to the seat frame with a T50 Torx head where the 04 is a 17mm hex socket. Also, the threads on the 08 bolt are different than the 04 so you’ll need to take the bolts from the 08 buckles to attach the 04 buckles to the 08 seat frame.

Additionally, the 08 seatbelt connectors are polarity-sensitive; you’ll need to be able to confirm ground when wiring the 08 seatbelt connector after clipping off the 04.

Last edited by blackerphotos; 01-12-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Added pertinent info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page