Aftermarket TrunkNet for 2014-2018 Mazda6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to zrxsteve62 Send a message via Skype™ to zrxsteve62
Aftermarket TrunkNet for 2014-2018 Mazda6

I have a 2017.5 Mazda 6. I purchased an aftermarket Trunk Net (by TrunkNets, Inc) in December 2018 from Amazon for $24.95.

. The kit is specific to 2014-2018 Mazda6 cars. It is not a generic kit. The package came complete with everything I needed, and the 5 page instructions are Mazda 6 specific, well written, and were surprisingly good. The instructions take you step by step through removing the required parts in the trunk culminating with the black plastic trim piece on the inside of the trunk below the trunk lip. This plastic piece has push pin retainers attaching it to the wall of the trunk. The kit replaces the push pins with well nuts and T-Anchors. The T-Anchors are what the trunk net attaches to. Here is the only problem that I had with the kit, and it's a big one. The kit instructions tell you to use a 7/16" drill bit to enlarge the four holes for the kit supplied well nuts. A 7/16" drill bit is pretty large and long, particularly when including the length of the drill. The clearance on the left side top is approximately 7" and my drill and bit were closer to 12". Not even close, not even at an angle. Even if I had a right angle drill, I think the clearance would have been too tight unless I cut down the drill bit. I ended up using a dremel and a metal grinder bit to slowly enlarge the two upper holes. This worked well and was fast. Perhaps 2 minutes per hole. Note, don't go too fast, if you make the hole too big the well nuts won't fit and the old push pins won't work anymore. You'd really be up a creek if you make it too large. Just take your time and grind a little at a time and then try the well nut till it slide in. The holes weren't as round as a drill bit would have made, so I ended up applying a small amount of epoxy glue to all 4 well nuts for extra holding power. I suspect that lateral torsion would have been enough holding power without the epoxy. After letting the epoxy cure for a few hours I re-assembled the trunk and installed the trunk net. I'm super happy with the installed product. It's high quality and the installation looks completely factory. The width is perfect leaving it just taught enough, but not too taught. We have a Honda Accord with factory trunk net, and a Nissan Maxima with factory trunk net, and this is at least as good or better than they are at a remarkably low price. I would buy it again, and would recommend it if you are comfortable with the irregular method of drilling the well nut holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_183156.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	225752   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_183316.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	225754   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_183329.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	225756   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181214_191627.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	950.6 KB
ID:	225758  

2017 Snowflake White Mazda 6 Grand Touring GT Premium Package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
That looks like a wagon. The installation is OEM, good work.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 836 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Not sure where you get a wagon from looking at the pics...

Looks pretty damn good, just like OEM. Helluva lot less expensive too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Not sure where you get a wagon from looking at the pics...

Looks pretty damn good, just like OEM. Helluva lot less expensive too.
My eyes are playing tricks on me! So, I took a picture of my (messy) trunk and that confirms that it isn't a wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page