I was wrong! I removed the two regular 6 rubber covers for the clutch and brake and started to stretch the aluminum and rubber covers from the speed 6 onto the bare pedals. I started with the clutch. It was a lot of grunting, swearing, stretching of rubber, and writhing in the drivers foot well. I managed to get one all the way on and thought, man that sucked, but I’m glad I got it done.
I looked a little closer and found out that the side of the pedal cover was bulging out at the top of the pedal on both left and right sides!! This meant that the pedal itself was larger than the pedal cover. No wonder it was such a bugger to get on there. I unfortunately didn’t get a picture of this as I was pretty bummed, but committed to getting it done. In studying the pedal cover, I noticed that the bottom of the pedal was nice and flush with no bulging.
This told me that the car’s pedal was the correct width at the bottom, but not at the top. I then had the idea to measure the pedal cover at the bottom with my dial indicator
I then measured the pedal and found out that the speed 6 pedal cover was roughly 3mm larger than the actual pedal in my car at that same location. I then went to the top of the pedal cover and used my dial indicator there…
And compared it to the pedal in the car. I was indeed correct that the pedal was larger (though I didn’t need a dial indicator to tell me) but now I was armed with the information to tell me how much material to take off my car’s pedal.
I took the outside dimension of the top of the speed 6 pedal cover, subtracted 3mm (found from measuring the overall width of the lower edge of speed 6 pedal cover minus the car’s overall width at the lower edge of the pedal), and that was what I needed to remove. Using a Dremel tool with an abrasive drum bit, I began slowly taking a little bit of each side of the pedal until its overall dimension was about 3mm smaller than the speed 6 pedal cover’s outer dimension. Make sure you remove the same amount of pedal from each side!!! This was a very tedious step and I used a lot of care and regular measuring with the dial indicator. I erred on the slightly larger side of margin as I always knew I could take more off, but putting more back on required a whole new pedal assembly!!!
After a lot of nerves and careful checking, I tried the pedal cover again. To make the pedal cover slide easier over the pedal, I sprayed on some soapy water mixture to the pedal and the cover and began stretching. I used plastic panel pry tools to help work the lip of the pedal cover over the pedal (here’s a close up of the back of the pedal for reference)
It still took a lot of wrestling, but it was a lot easier now that the pedal was the correct size to accept the pedal cover. I then repeated that for the brake pedal and now I have a set of factory OEM Mazdaspeed pedal covers in my 04 Mazda 6 MTX wagon!
I’ve had them on now for a couple weeks and I’ve got a few notes about how they are different. I had worried that the aluminum covers would be slippery compared to the original rubber ones. I don’t find that to be the case in practice. The clutch and brake have rubber knobs (that’s what you see sticking out through the aluminum pedal pad). They stand proud of the bracket by about 3mm. The rubber is pretty soft and thus allows plenty of grip. I was also worried about the accelerator being slippery since it doesn’t even have the rubber bits. It turns out that’s just not even a concern. In practical driving situations, I can not tell a difference between the old pedal and the new.
Now, for my favorite part of this mod that was unexpected. I am a heel toe driver using my toe to apply brake on deceleration into a corner, double declutching, and using my heel to blip the accelerator to rev match the transmission to the lower gear. I learned this on my classic car which has VERY rudimentary synchros, and is a necessity for down shifting. Despite not being as necessary, I carry this practice over to my modern car.
Before this mod in my 6, I always had to shift my right foot over in a rather inconvenient way to actually fetch both the brake and the accelerator at the same time. Now, with the speed 6 accelerator pedal, I can catch it with out even adjusting my foot. It has a larger pedal surface area at the bottom with a little wing that sticks out towards the brake side. This alone was worth the change as now I can efficiently heel toe with very minimal effort. Not to mention, they look GREAT!!
I hope this write up helps someone else out there. I’m sorry that I don’t have more detailed photos of the “resizing” of the clutch and brake pedals to fit the speed 6 covers. It’s slightly possible that this resizing step is specific to the 1st gen PRE facelift (03-05) pedals. If you have a post facelift gen 1 (or gen 1.5 if you prefer), then you might not have to resize the pedals. It’s worth checking with a dial indicator before you get into it with the Dremel.