DIY Mazda 6 2017 A/T Pedal cover install - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
DIY Mazda 6 2017 A/T Pedal cover install

I bought the cheap aluminium pedal cover set from ebay for about 20e and since there's no good guide about how to install them I thought I'd make one. Installing is not that difficult but I thought it might help to walk you through the steps and mistakes I did.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Brake-P...1Ys8P0&vxp=mtr

Wear eye protection while drilling as there is a great risk of getting metal dust or broken drill bits in your eyes!

I started with the brake pedal which is the hardest part by far. The rubber pad can be removed by pulling the edges off of the metal plate of the pedal. There is no glue or any other adhesive. My pedal set was supposed to be installed on top of the rubber pad. I held the cover and the rubber pad in my hand and lined them up. I drilled holes through the rubber to make it easier to transfer the placement of the holes to the metal plate of the pedal.

You want to drill the center hole first as then you can screw the pedal on to the metal plate and lining it will be easier. I'd suggest to rotate the drill only couple of times to create a nice marking for the hole and then prying off the rubber again and drilling through the plate. This way you don't risk scratching the pedal cover if the drill bit brakes. Put a wooden block behind the pedal to make it stay rigid while drilling.

I used 3mm, 3.5mm and finally 4mm bits to create 4mm holes for the screws. Drilling through the metal is not going to be easy and you need a decent drill to do it. I have 18V Dewalt with 5Ah batteries and still it was a pain in the neck! It's a good idea to use cutting oil but only add tiny amounts because the rotating drill bit will throw it everywhere in the foot compartment is you use too much of it. Put a newspaper under the drilling area so you can catch the metal shards on it and you don't have to vacuum the carpet afterwards.

Once you have finished drilling the center hole put the rubber pad back on, screw the pedal cover on it's place, line it up and repeat the previous step. With the last hole I got lazy and drilled through the whole assembly. Of course I broke two 3mm drill bits and after that I decided that the pedal will stay on with only 2 bolts. In addition to that I managed to scratch the soft aluminium with the broken drill bit. I took a shorter bolt and screwed it in to the rubber to make it look complete... (Don't tell anyone!)

Next one up was the gas pedal. I tried to find a way to drill the holes while having the pedal in it's place but I found out that it's really simple process to remove it. There are two bolts behind small covers. These need to be removed and after that there is one connector which has a small locking clip. Referring to the manual, the negative pole of the battery should be removed prior to this but I didn't do it and nothing broke down. It's up to you if you want to do it. Once you have the pedal in your hand it's easy to line up the cover with the pedal and drill the holes. This is a lot easier compared to the brake pedal as the gas pedal is made out of plastic. Just make sure you don't have any bolts sticking out too much to prevent the pedal from hitting the floor! Keep in mind that there's the kick down button. Once the pedal is attached just clip the connector back to the pedal and screw the bolts back in.

I was bit scared to screw the foot rest cover on as it comes with sharp headed screws. I had no idea whats underneath the carpet but it seems there's only piece of styrofoam. The cover won't be attached very tightly but mine came out just fine and it stays where it's supposed to be. Just tighten the screws by hand because then you feel if there's metal under the foot rest. And if you hit a 12V wire you'll probably feel that too

There's couple photos of the gas pedal to give you an idea of how it's connected. Everything else should be self-explanatory.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/ay3589.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/168e6f6.jpg

Zoom Zoom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 45 Times in 38 Posts
the mazda pedal covers are overpriced for what they are, they are easier to install it seems

i don't know about buying ebay pedal covers, do they even look the same as the mazdas?

the mazdas are really good looking, but the whole set is $160, is too much for some covers

Last edited by Mazda6Suspension; 11-04-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't take a photo of mine but here you can see how they look installed https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/att...1366667106.jpg

The rubber bulges are arranged differently and by looking at pictures it seems they are bit more bulgy in the China version. There is a separate rubber sheet with the bulges and an aluminium plate so they are not molded together.

In this photo it looks like there is no rubber in the gas pedal cover and in the foot rest cover at all. https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/...ccessories.jpg Placing that plain aluminium plate over the pedal doesn't look too good IMO. Of course there are racing brands which make universal covers as well and I think the install process will be similar to the chinese covers.

Zoom Zoom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
wait..so you put the rubber cover from the brake pedal back on and then put the aluminum pedal over top of that???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page