Next Mazda6 Might Be RWD w/I-6 Layout - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Next Mazda6 Might Be RWD w/I-6 Layout

Mazda has announced their intentions for a new larger architecture that will be RWD and be powered by a longitudinal inline 6cyl engine in their bid to continue going upmarket. Rumors are starting that the Mazda 6 will be using this new architecture for it's next generation sedans. There is also talk of a 48V electric system being developed as well.

Read the full article here
The Following User Says Thank You to michael95350 For This Useful Post:
Motorsnwheels (05-09-2019)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to michael95350 For This Un-useful Post:
Trippp (05-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
This is exciting. I love the Mazda brand. Unfortunately I have put off my Mazda6 purchase and now I want to wait for this. Or maybe I just buy one now and trade it in when the new one comes out. Haha
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsnwheels View Post
This is exciting. I love the Mazda brand. Unfortunately I have put off my Mazda6 purchase and now I want to wait for this. Or maybe I just buy one now and trade it in when the new one comes out. Haha
As much as I love my 2018 6, I'll be test driving this new 6 for-sure.

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
The Following User Says NO Thank You to TechZeke For This Un-useful Post:
Motorsnwheels (05-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Hmm, I'm not sure Mazda is going to turn the 6 into a completely different car. Since '03, people (me included) have bought the 6 because it's affordable, FWD, fun to drive, and the best looking in its class.

To suddenly make it a legitimate luxury sports sedan (I6, RWD), it's going to be dead in the water. People shopping for a brand new BMW or Merc aren't going to buy it simply because it's a Mazda6, and previous 6 owners aren't going to buy it because it's not a fun, affordable family sedan anymore. They'd shed their existing customer base and not attract a new one.

It sounds like a new model is coming out, and that's pretty exciting. But to call it a 6 is a bad idea, I think.
RacerCG, TitaniumVT and oobeet like this.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6 | 5MT | Steel Gray Metallic |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods: 2015 OEM 17" 6 rims | NGK Iridium IX plugs | Matte black painted OEM wheels (winters) | Red painted calipers | Light black "smoked" headlights | R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads | Rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
This will not help Mazda North America. These must be aimed at some other market, Mazda can't sell enough 6's to even claim any success in this market, never mind an all new upscale car.

Major problem #2 : This is a no sell in the British market as well as bigger motors = huge taxes/fees.

Major problem #3 : Really, competing in the luxury segment that has been owned by BMW/Audi/MB/etc for 40+ years?

This article seems like a Mazda dream sequence. None of it makes sense. Markets are pushing to downsize engines not make them bigger. This car is 20yrs too late at a minimum. If they have ANY sense they will focus on electrics, although competing with Telsa is laughable.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Thanked 1,167 Times in 854 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I'll believe it... when I see it.

Exactly what I said when Mazda announced the SkyActiv-D was coming to the 6...

...6 years ago...

Not to mention the return of the RX-7. That "rumor" has been floating around since at least this century...

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
I didn't even realize that article claimed a new diesel is in the works. A new diesel would be DOA. They (new diesel engine powered cars) are being banned in the EU by 2025. North America will be right behind. This is not Mazda's dream, it would be their nightmare and end if they try it.

Never mind the fact that US sized/styled cars are not wanted in Japan.
oobeet likes this.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Upscale... luxury... these words mean only one thing and that is the word expensive. In our local place, I don't see any Mazda 6. Even in major cities, I have encountered one or two Mazda 6. There are more chances to see a Camry and Accord but not a Mazda 6. Even BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz are more visible.

This particular model might become "extinct" if the price will go up. I mean, almost all people that I've encountered would say that at the price I paid for this car is already equivalent with an SUV. Some even questioned me "why" did I buy this instead of an SUV.

I could almost hear them, if ever I buy this new model, why did I buy this instead of other brands like I mentioned above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
I'll believe it... when I see it.

Exactly what I said when Mazda announced the SkyActiv-D was coming to the 6...

...6 years ago...

Not to mention the return of the RX-7. That "rumor" has been floating around since at least this century...
I have that particular model, SkyActiv-D. However, since you aren't seeing it right now I know you won't believe it.

Kidding aside, why is it that the diesel variant is not available on the US market? I might be wrong, but someone said that it isn't available.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Well, the 3 replaced the 323, the 6 replaced the 626; so.... we could have a Mazda 9
RacerCG likes this.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Thanked 1,167 Times in 854 Posts
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
Kidding aside, why is it that the diesel variant is not available on the US market? I might be wrong, but someone said that it isn't available.
For years, Mazda had been promising the SkyActiv-D for the North American market, as early as when the 3rd-gen was released here, in 2013. Time passed, and nothing. Then there was rumors that the diesel variant couldn't meet CARB standards, not unless it was severely underpowered and/or had poor fuel economy.

As of now, it's still expected for the 6, supposedly, along with AWD.

But at this point, why should they even bother? The diesel CX-5 that's soon-to-be-available has little, if any, fuel economy gain compared to the base 2.2L. It's horsepower is lower than the 2.2, and the all-almighty diesel torque (290 lbs-ft) is LOWER than the 2.5T which became an option on the CX-5 this year. It also needs urea to pass emissions (an added cost and inconvenience), and it's also a HUGE price jump, over $42K on a Signature! At that price, they'd better throw in the Vaseline for free...

Knowing that, it wouldn't surprise me that the 6 diesel will get maybe 1-2 MPG better than the base engine, still produce less torque than the 2.5T, still have the traditional diesel noise, smell, and horrendous cold-starting properties, and will send a 6 price above $38K!

To me the D doesn't stand for diesel, it stands for Dumbass, which is what I'd call the buyer/owner.

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in