Next Mazda6 Might Be RWD w/I-6 Layout - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Stretched Miata ND RWD platform

It is quite possible that we will see a north/south longitudinal straight six SkyActiv engine in RWD. Mazda already has a RWD platform in its portfolio (SkyActiv ND platform)..it is but natural to spread its development costs. A stretched ND platform would be a given.

An evolved Kodo design straight-6, longitudinal RWD premium Mazda6 Coupe aka MX-6 (in a 6MT or 7MT flavor)..I'm in it.

Driving a slow car fast is more fun, than driving a fast car slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Interesting concept, but I'm not sure it's a good direction to take. Coupes in general are pretty much dominated by the American pony cars for the most part. With car sales scaling down I'm not sure how much potential a "MX-6' would have. Seems like a lot of tool up costs for potentially low sales. If US drivers didn't have such a fetish with SUVs and CUVs right now, I might think differently.
RedBluff likes this.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post

Kidding aside, why is it that the diesel variant is not available on the US market? I might be wrong, but someone said that it isn't available.
It has to do with the quality of diesel fuel. In US it is not refined enough.

2008 Mazda 6 2.5 (125 kW), GTA Euro spec, bone stock.
_______

2003 Mazda 6 2.0 CD (100 kW Diesel), GT Sport Euro spec, bone stock. - sold
_______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
Mazda has announced their intentions for a new larger architecture that will be RWD and be powered by a longitudinal inline 6cyl engine in their bid to continue going upmarket. Rumors are starting that the Mazda 6 will be using this new architecture for it's next generation sedans.
I hope they don't take the 6 upmarket or change it fundamentally, but I have been saying for a long time that Mazda needs a vehicle for current Mazda6 owners to aspire to that isn't just a big SUV. Mazda needs a bigger, more powerful, more luxurious sedan, and I'm hopeful that this new architecture means that's going to happen. I just hope they leave the Mazda6 in its current position in the lineup, as a quite affordable but beautiful and fun-to-drive midsize family sedan.

In addition to a larger sedan, Mazda needs a halo car of some kind, whether that's a super-sedan or a sports car. The CX-9, nice as it is, isn't a halo car that teenage boys will put posters of on their bedroom wall. Neither is the MX-5, fun as it is.

Interesting times!

ΞRacerCG Mazda 6 owner since June 29, 2013!
2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver Metallic
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMetalhead View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure Mazda is going to turn the 6 into a completely different car. Since '03, people (me included) have bought the 6 because it's affordable, FWD, fun to drive, and the best looking in its class.

To suddenly make it a legitimate luxury sports sedan (I6, RWD), it's going to be dead in the water. People shopping for a brand new BMW or Merc aren't going to buy it simply because it's a Mazda6, and previous 6 owners aren't going to buy it because it's not a fun, affordable family sedan anymore. They'd shed their existing customer base and not attract a new one.

It sounds like a new model is coming out, and that's pretty exciting. But to call it a 6 is a bad idea, I think.
Completely agree with this. IF this engine/platform comes to fruition, it will be a new model. No way Mazda is going to kill their biggest selling car. I've always said that a better option for going upscale is to bring back some form of the Speed6. Keep the existing Mazda6 line, then add a 300+HP turbo version with AWD at the top of the lineup. Give it a manual tranny with the option of a high performance automatic. I think the lack of an automatic option was a big reason the MS6 didn't succeed. There just aren't enough of us enthusiasts to support a manual only vehicle these days.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerCG View Post
I hope they don't take the 6 upmarket or change it fundamentally, but I have been saying for a long time that Mazda needs a vehicle for current Mazda6 owners to aspire to that isn't just a big SUV. Mazda needs a bigger, more powerful, more luxurious sedan, and I'm hopeful that this new architecture means that's going to happen. I just hope they leave the Mazda6 in its current position in the lineup, as a quite affordable but beautiful and fun-to-drive midsize family sedan.

In addition to a larger sedan, Mazda needs a halo car of some kind, whether that's a super-sedan or a sports car. The CX-9, nice as it is, isn't a halo car that teenage boys will put posters of on their bedroom wall. Neither is the MX-5, fun as it is.

Interesting times!
A Mazda9 would be sexy as hell, but the large sedan market simply isn't selling. The Mazda6 barely sells 1/10 of the volume of the Camry or Accord. A Mazda9 would probably sell less than the MX-5.

The US market, at least, has the large SUV being the end goal. Heck, yesterday I told a colleague that I prefer sedans, and he said "While you're young. Eventually you'll be an SUV guy"
I see a Skyactiv-X based CX-90/11 larger SUV being more likely than a Mazda9.

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechZeke View Post
A Mazda9 would be sexy as hell, but the large sedan market simply isn't selling. The Mazda6 barely sells 1/10 of the volume of the Camry or Accord. A Mazda9 would probably sell less than the MX-5.
It'd be a niche product, for sure. As long as they can sell enough of them to make a profit, I don't think it matters how many they sell compared to the auto industry giants. Being as great as they are, I'm not sure why people don't buy Mazdas as frequently as they do Toyotas and Hondas. I guess it comes down to marketing.

Quote:
The US market, at least, has the large SUV being the end goal. Heck, yesterday I told a colleague that I prefer sedans, and he said "While you're young. Eventually you'll be an SUV guy"
I'm 49, and while I will probably need a CX-9 soon due to a recent addition to our family (our second child), I'll still want a sedan as my second car when it comes time to trade in my Mazda6. A Mazda9 would be just the ticket if it isn't *too* upmarket. Acura TLX or Lexus ES territory would be doable.

Quote:
I see a Skyactiv-X based CX-90/11 larger SUV being more likely than a Mazda9.
As the popular meme goes, "Why not both?"

ΞRacerCG Mazda 6 owner since June 29, 2013!
2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver Metallic
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobeet View Post
It has to do with the quality of diesel fuel. In US it is not refined enough.

Yeah, no.

It has everything to do with emissions testing. Also, it is mostly due to pricing, gasoline is cheaper and plentiful in the states where Europe has to import everything.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Yeah, no.

It has everything to do with emissions testing. Also, it is mostly due to pricing, gasoline is cheaper and plentiful in the states where Europe has to import everything.
Actually, Mazda diesel engines could easily pass US emissions standard... with European diesel fuel. It's pretty much like US - European petrol. I'm sure you know what I mean. The price reflects exactly that, for sure.

Also, fuel consumption is not as different as one might think. I've had both diesel and petrol 6s and consumption is roughly proportional to difference in power, or thereabout.

My claim is based on recommendations by Mazda. They insist on top diesel even here, in the land of good fuel.

2008 Mazda 6 2.5 (125 kW), GTA Euro spec, bone stock.
_______

2003 Mazda 6 2.0 CD (100 kW Diesel), GT Sport Euro spec, bone stock. - sold
_______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page