Any updated buzz on Gen 4 Mazda 6? - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Sedans aren't selling but I would have a hard time believing they would cut the 6 out of the lineup. I would be really disappointed if they did that. I also sat in a new Mazda 3 and it is excellent. There are things I prefer with it over the 6 however viewing them side by side I really think the 6 is a sharper vehicle. Mazda just needs to release the 2019 MY already and I would be at the dealer ordering one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
My problem with the "3" is that at the time I bought my "6" they wanted MORE MONEY for the "3" in an equivalent trim AND it had the "burnt toast" audio/display system, so I could not upgrade or change it.

The 3 hatch (IMHO a decent compromise between a sedan and a CUV) was even MORE money (and not a couple hundred bucks either.)

The CX-5 was obnoxiously de-contented in the only offer with a stick (*rubber* steering wheel, only the 2.0L engine, etc) *and* more money than the "6".

Pay more, get materially less. Pass.

Now they're "doing it" even worse in that the MTX option has been deleted from the sport models. I didn't buy a stick to save money, I bought it because I prefer it and get at the same time improved driveline reliability and, over the long term, MUCH lower operating cost since the gearbox ITSELF has a near-zero risk of catastrophic failure even over ridiculous (e.g. 500k) mileage. Which clutches do (eventually) wear out they're a heck of a lot cheaper than transmissions. Since I tend to put 30+k miles per YEAR on my vehicles all of this matters, and quickly.

I really like my "6" but I'm not a brand fanboi. When the time comes to replace my 6 Sport if Mazda tries to back me into a corner on the value proposition I'll buy something else. Manufacturers that take that sort of approach to "customer relations" deserve a big fat middle finger in response, and from me they'll get one too.

Last edited by tickerguy; 02-22-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 PM
GWL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Found this on the lemon-aid website, Automobile Protection Association | 2018 Lemon Aid New Car Reviews - Mid-size

"The car has generally been reliable. However, the new cylinder shut off system on the normally aspirated 2.5L four is unproven and previous Mazda turbo efforts have been unsuccessful in the hands of owners. Mazdas generally develop a few more problems than similar cars from Honda, Hyundai or Toyota. Unlimited mileage warranties and a seven year warranty for rust perforation."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
My problem with the "3" is that at the time I bought my "6" they wanted MORE MONEY for the "3" in an equivalent trim AND it had the "burnt toast" audio/display system, so I could not upgrade or change it.

The 3 hatch (IMHO a decent compromise between a sedan and a CUV) was even MORE money (and not a couple hundred bucks either.)

The CX-5 was obnoxiously de-contented in the only offer with a stick (*rubber* steering wheel, only the 2.0L engine, etc) *and* more money than the "6".

Pay more, get materially less. Pass.

Now they're "doing it" even worse in that the MTX option has been deleted from the sport models. I didn't buy a stick to save money, I bought it because I prefer it and get at the same time improved driveline reliability and, over the long term, MUCH lower operating cost since the gearbox ITSELF has a near-zero risk of catastrophic failure even over ridiculous (e.g. 500k) mileage. Which clutches do (eventually) wear out they're a heck of a lot cheaper than transmissions. Since I tend to put 30+k miles per YEAR on my vehicles all of this matters, and quickly.

I really like my "6" but I'm not a brand fanboi. When the time comes to replace my 6 Sport if Mazda tries to back me into a corner on the value proposition I'll buy something else. Manufacturers that take that sort of approach to "customer relations" deserve a big fat middle finger in response, and from me they'll get one too.
I feel ya, but we're going to be disregarded victims of trends. The sad fact is less than 6% of the general public in the US voices a desire for a manual. Too hard to hold your phone and your coffee while trying to operate a vehicle I suppose. With manufacturers trying to cut down on variations and trying to minimize trim packages to shave costs, I don't see manuals getting any attention outside of a muscle car.

You also have to look at the Big 3 automakers in the US severely curtailing their sedan models. Chevrolet will only have the Malibu, Camaro and Corvette left. Buick will have only the Regal (which shares the Epsilon II chassis with the Malibu). Cadillac might come out with the CT4 (again, based on the Epsilon II chassis). Ford will only have the Mustang. Chrysler will have the Challenger and Charger/300 twins. Personally, I think it's going to bite them in the ass hard when the next gas crisis comes (and it will come).
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Who knows, all these rumors from it being RWD, a Coupe and another design refresh is anyone's guess, we will find out by the end of this year or early 2020 on what the 2020 or 2021 Mazda 6 will look like. Either way I have cash in hand to throw away if it becomes a coupe, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 PM
GWL

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
I feel ya, but we're going to be disregarded victims of trends. The sad fact is less than 6% of the general public in the US voices a desire for a manual. Too hard to hold your phone and your coffee while trying to operate a vehicle I suppose. With manufacturers trying to cut down on variations and trying to minimize trim packages to shave costs, I don't see manuals getting any attention outside of a muscle car.

You also have to look at the Big 3 automakers in the US severely curtailing their sedan models. Chevrolet will only have the Malibu, Camaro and Corvette left. Buick will have only the Regal (which shares the Epsilon II chassis with the Malibu). Cadillac might come out with the CT4 (again, based on the Epsilon II chassis). Ford will only have the Mustang. Chrysler will have the Challenger and Charger/300 twins. Personally, I think it's going to bite them in the ass hard when the next gas crisis comes (and it will come).

Difference is that the newer SUV's aren't truck based gas pigs.

For example, CX5 and 6 there isn't that much difference in gas consumption.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
Difference is that the newer SUV's aren't truck based gas pigs.

For example, CX5 and 6 there isn't that much difference in gas consumption.

I don't want to go too far off base, but there is an inherent irony with SUVs. SUVs are thought to be safer, but they can actually be less safe due to their higher center of gravity. Maybe that's part of the reason you have propaganda like this going around now about pedestrian deaths being on the rise due to SUVs. It's not the vehicle, it's the moron driving it that's causing the spike. Higher center of gravity affects, among other things, stopping distances. Yeah, it might be compact but it will still take longer to stop.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
So back on track here. I don't forsee an all-new 6 model until 2021. Right now, I think their priority is rolling out SkyActiv X for the Mazda 3 and making sure the market will accept it. What I do believe is that when 2021 does roll around and the next gen 6 comes out, there won't be a SkyActiv G option (assuming the X is a success).
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, 2019's very incremental: G-Vector Control Plus, some of the high-end equipment drops into the lower models, and the manual's gone after they murdered it by limiting it to the base models.

So now I get to decide: 30AE Miata RF (most fun, least practical), 2019 3 (AWD sounds really nice), or 2019 6 (most comfortable, and I love my 2015 so a modernized one would be fine.)
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
Well, 2019's very incremental: G-Vector Control Plus, some of the high-end equipment drops into the lower models, and the manual's gone after they murdered it by limiting it to the base models.

So now I get to decide: 30AE Miata RF (most fun, least practical), 2019 3 (AWD sounds really nice), or 2019 6 (most comfortable, and I love my 2015 so a modernized one would be fine.)
I like bigger cars and the turbo motor so the 6 would be the car for me, on the high end. If I was getting the non-turbo 6, I'd take a serious look at the new 3. The new infotainment, key fob, new center console, and updated switch gear would entice me more than AWD with the 3. Unless you live in places with poor weather, I wouldn't bother with the extra maintenance expense of having AWD. AWD on a 6 would be more worth it with the 2.5T to better put down the massive amount of torque, but AWD is not offered on the 6 yet.

A Miata would have to be a secondary weekend car for me.

2018 Mazda 6

Grand Touring Reserve
Deep Crystal Blue Exterior
Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in