3.8L SKYACTIV Straight-6, Anyone? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
3.8L SKYACTIV Straight-6, Anyone?

Always imagined what this would be like. Pray to god Mazda will build something like this in the future. The upcoming Mazda 6 is rumored to be RWD and offered with either Mazda's 2.5L SKYACTIV X or a Twin-Turbo 3L V6 as the upgraded engine option, but I think it would make really good sense to just make an Inline-6 version of their excellent 4 cylinder. easily doable, commonly used and great way to cut costs while improving sales, and actually a very good idea, as Inline 6's are just about as perfect as an engine design gets. Mazda's excellent engine tech would make the rest of their future competition useless. Whether it's compression ignition and supercharged, Turbo, or NA, I can only imagine how good a Mazda Inline-6 would be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:48 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I've driven two L6 motors for years (L24 Nissan and 2F Toyota) and they are wonderful.

Balanced and smooth but thirsty.

Mazda's take on this format would be wonderful in 6 cylinders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
An Inline 6 version of their current 2.5L Inline 4 be amazing especially RWD making it a 3.7L & with a 6spd be sweet little package. I know it's wishful thinking but adding a turbo to the mix & you've got a serious machine plus the aftermarket upgrades would be much better than it's current market.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, consider me interested!

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards|OEM Cargo Net|LED Courtesy Lights|LED License Plate Lights|OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit|Remote Start
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
RWD and a hotted up 4 or 6 cylinder engine - isn't that basically a Infiniti Q50?

Really curious if Mazda can get the HCCI tech to work reliably and what the real-world results would look like.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I'd want it to be a 3.0L inline 6. Scale up the 2.0L Skyactiv. But if they want to compete, it would probably have to be bigger. RWD would be sweet.

My last car was an inline 6 (BMW 330i). My oh my, that was a sweet engine. Smooth, efficient, plenty of power, and it made all the right noises.

In my mind I'm imagining a Kia Stinger competitor, but with much nicer styling.

2017 Mazda 6 Touring manual

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Oh man, straight 6 with RWD, that's getting pretty close to my dream car. Turbos are all well and good (I drive one!) but I'd take a bigger NA engine with equivalent power anytime.

Beep Beep
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
I've driven two L6 motors for years (L24 Nissan and 2F Toyota) and they are wonderful.

Balanced and smooth but thirsty.

Mazda's take on this format would be wonderful in 6 cylinders.
BMW's Inline 6's, even the older ones are incredibly efficient for their torque outputs. my 2011 528i, a 3900 pounds vehicle got 32MPG on the highway. no matter how hard I drove it in the city, I never managed to get below 20MPG.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
I'd want it to be a 3.0L inline 6. Scale up the 2.0L Skyactiv. But if they want to compete, it would probably have to be bigger. RWD would be sweet.

My last car was an inline 6 (BMW 330i). My oh my, that was a sweet engine. Smooth, efficient, plenty of power, and it made all the right noises.

In my mind I'm imagining a Kia Stinger competitor, but with much nicer styling.
Mazda's chassis and engine tuning is in a different league from Kia all together. I would prefer a larger displacement Inline 6. BMW has made plenty of 3L inline 6's already. it's a sufficient amount of torque and power, but a well designed large displacement inline-6 is what will really set things apart from the competition.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
RWD and a hotted up 4 or 6 cylinder engine - isn't that basically a Infiniti Q50?

Really curious if Mazda can get the HCCI tech to work reliably and what the real-world results would look like.
Apparently they already have. an Inline 6 would make far better use of this technology than a 4 cylinder. its perfectly balanced and does not require balancing shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page