The NEXT 6 - Wish List - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Borrowing from some of what others here have offered and adding some, priorities are bolded...
  • Wagon for North America.
  • Engine shutdown when waiting at traffic lights IF it can be toggled it off. (Thanks, Bill_k.)
  • Econ mode to sacrifice performance and get better mileage in certain kinds of driving.
  • Option to see a high resolution reverse camera view from the rear view mirror like the Bolt EV has.
  • Better camera resolution. I have the GTR, but the 360 resolution on the Signature is poor; the GTR's reverse camera is not great.
  • Tire pressure status
  • Power fold in side mirrors
  • Digital cockpit - I have nothing against analog gauges, but digital is so much more versatile and flexible. And it allows the manufacturer to update it and improve weaknesses in how the data is presented and ordered, which is impossible with analog, which leads to:
  • The current information display for the '18 models is strangely and inconveniently ordered. Think this through more and group things together more practically. My 2010 Jetta had a better info display than my '18 6 does. And information display was not a strength of that car compared to some vehicles at the time.
  • More internal storage space, especially to the left of the steering column where the space would appear to be available.
  • A bit more trunk space with hooks and compartments for cargo. Why does the Accord, which is the same length, have 2 cu. ft. more trunk space AND more back seat room? Not that I'd rather have that car. I like my 6.
  • Pull/push door handle to unlock/lock instead of the push button. That said, the push button is less annoying to me now than it was at first.
  • Latch releases for folding down back seat backs from the backs of the seats along with from the trunk.
  • A loop on the back seat center rest so that it's easier to pull down.
  • Snappier performance on the infotainment system.
  • Auto lighting on the infotainment system and dash is currently day/night with nothing in between and the sensor doesn't really work right. Make the lighting adapt to the actual conditions so that it doesn't switch to night mode when it's still way too light to be able to see the display well enough.
  • Why does the current trip gas mileage screen update so infrequently?

I like far more about this car than I dislike. Still, Mazda cut some corners in ways that are sort of frustrating. Makes me appreciate the "value" of cars that have less features, but the ones they have are more consistently well executed. I love driving it, though, and all of my family loves the aesthetics and experience of the interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maigre View Post
Borrowing from some of what others here have offered and adding some, priorities are bolded...
  • Engine shutdown when waiting at traffic lights.
Please, no! All I hear from other drivers who have an auto start/stop feature is how much they hate it, and are trying to find any options available to deactivate it. I know when I was looking at new cars I ruled out those that had this feature, many of which cannot be disabled.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_k View Post
Please, no! All I hear from other drivers who have an auto start/stop feature is how much they hate it, and are trying to find any options available to deactivate it. I know when I was looking at new cars I ruled out those that had this feature, many of which cannot be disabled.

What's so awful about auto stop/start?

I live in an area with horrifying traffic, so I find that this car is burning a lot of gas while I'm sitting in long lines of traffic going literally nowhere, sometimes for 3-4 minutes. So it strikes me that this feature would save me some gas. Not true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:

What's so awful about auto stop/start?

I live in an area with horrifying traffic, so I find that this car is burning a lot of gas while I'm sitting in long lines of traffic going literally nowhere, sometimes for 3-4 minutes. So it strikes me that this feature would save me some gas. Not true?
While it's supposedly used to help meet fuel economy targets, it arguably only nets a savings of no more than one MPG. Even though the manufacturers claim that they design the engine to handle all of the additional starts, it has to add a significant amount of wear on the starter. Some restart more smoothly than others, but it adds some delay to your ability to start from a stop. Some users report that it often gives a feeling of slamming into gear when you start from a stop. Some are defeatable by hitting a switch each time you start the car, but others are always active. If you're often sitting for 3 or 4 minutes at a stop then I'd expect it to save you more than average. On the other hand imagine that you're in a major city and rush hour traffic, each time you advance a bit and then stop again the engine will be cycling on and off repeatedly which can't be good. Everything involves tradeoffs, and what might be good for one may not be for another...
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_k View Post
While it's supposedly used to help meet fuel economy targets, it arguably only nets a savings of no more than one MPG. Even though the manufacturers claim that they design the engine to handle all of the additional starts, it has to add a significant amount of wear on the starter. Some restart more smoothly than others, but it adds some delay to your ability to start from a stop. Some users report that it often gives a feeling of slamming into gear when you start from a stop. Some are defeatable by hitting a switch each time you start the car, but others are always active. If you're often sitting for 3 or 4 minutes at a stop then I'd expect it to save you more than average. On the other hand imagine that you're in a major city and rush hour traffic, each time you advance a bit and then stop again the engine will be cycling on and off repeatedly which can't be good. Everything involves tradeoffs, and what might be good for one may not be for another...
I can buy that. If it's true that it'll do as much or more harm than good, I'll let it go. I wouldn't expect it to change my overall MPG by 10%. But I don't like it that the car is wasting so much gas for so long in heavy traffic, so I'd be more at ease knowing that I'm not having to do that. Is auto stop/start literally the same mechanisms as if I'd pressed the button to shut down the car and then pressed it again to start it?
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I can buy that. If it's true that it'll do as much or more harm than good, I'll let it go. I wouldn't expect it to change my overall MPG by 10%. But I don't like it that the car is wasting so much gas for so long in heavy traffic, so I'd be more at ease knowing that I'm not having to do that. Is auto stop/start literally the same mechanisms as if I'd pressed the button to shut down the car and then pressed it again to start it?
As far as stopping and restarting the engine I believe so, except that it keeps any electrically powered systems active. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm overlooking any other difference...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_k For This Useful Post:
maigre (12-11-2018)
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I am with all the wagon folks. Bring one back to North America.
Manual would be fun and exotic for us Drivers, but it seems 98% want an automatic. Not a deal breaker.

Before getting my first Mazda (2007) wagon, I looked at Audi and Saab offerings. The Mazda beat them all for my requirements of space, performance, and looks. It still gives me a high when I walk to the farthest space across the parking lot to get it. It still has its own style. It doesn't blend in with all the other Hatches, SUV's, or Crossovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page