Mazda moves into electric cars - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2872 Post(s)
Thanked 4,058 Times in 2,850 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Why did I immediately think of a hybrid rotary, and why does that sound so dirty?...

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
About time, the world is making a big shift towards electrics, I think it is going to happen far sooner than any of us think.

We are in the golden age of the gasoline engine. Electrics will rule within 25yrs. Just my humble prediction.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
...Electrics will rule within 25yrs....

25 years is faster than any of us think? :-) For what it's worth, Mazda thinks there's a future for internal combustion engines for 30+ more years.

Mazda Wants an Internal Combustion Engine in Your 2050 Mazda CX-5

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 09-29-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I always get concerned about the classic machines when this topic comes up. I agree the future is electric, but I have zero interest in converting my 55 MG TF to electric. Part of the fun is the noise, smell and ancient driving experience of the gearbox. I hope they develop a dino alternative fuel so I can continue to enjoy that machine.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2872 Post(s)
Thanked 4,058 Times in 2,850 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Electric will take off once the technology is better (it's still in its infancy much like solar) and it no longer needs to be government subsidized.

Internal combustions will continue strong for quite some time, especially if Mazda keeps up with their breakthrough research.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As electric powdered vehicles become more popular I wonder how the decreased revenue from the state gasoline taxes will be compensated for? Taxes on electricity?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Here they want to push a mileage tax. eventually they'll figure out how to do it without pissing everyone off. I drive 60 miles a day. I'm not a fan. It will be in addition to the tax from gasoline.

"Additionally, Cullerton’s proposal would have required drivers to either install a tracking devices to monitor mileage or pay a flat annual rate of $450. Facing major opposition, the Senate leader was ultimately forced to kill his own bill.

In light of these efforts, a group of 16 House members have signed on to a resolution opposing a VMT tax. As pointed out in the language of the resolution, “[a VMT tax] would impose undue hardship and disproportionally impact rural Illinoisans who must drive longer distances for work and school.” Sens. Andy Manar, D-Bunker Hill and Tom Cullerton, D-Villa Park introduced a similar resolution in the Senate.

Per-mile gas taxes raise serious privacy concerns. As Cullerton’s bill illustrated, drivers may be required to install devices to monitor miles driven in the event of a VMT tax. Not to mention that a VMT tax would only add to Illinoisans’ already-punishing tax burden."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaSmith View Post
As electric powdered vehicles become more popular I wonder how the decreased revenue from the state gasoline taxes will be compensated for? Taxes on electricity?
There are a few plans out there in various stages to increase revenues from drivers; these may not all go into transportation funding:

1. Congestion pricing: The Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland had a normal toll of $4.00. It is increased to $5 during the weekends and $6 during the morning/evening rush hours. Very similar to "Surge Pricing" used by Uber/Lyft

2. Progressive Registration Fees: Having a newer or more expensive cars increase the license plate cost. A base 2018 Mazda 6 (MSRP $22K) costs $256 for plates. A top of the line 2003 Mazda 6 (original price about the same) pays only $35.

3. VMT (Vehicle Miles Traveled)- Pretty simple, they tax per mile driven. Still in planning/testing/proposal stages. Main thing against it is a concern for privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
Here they want to push a mileage tax. eventually they'll figure out how to do it without pissing everyone off. I drive 60 miles a day. I'm not a fan. It will be in addition to the tax from gasoline.
...either install a tracking devices to monitor mileage or pay a flat annual rate of $450.
Good old Illinois and layers of taxing. Your actual gas tax is well below the national average (19 cents vs 30), but then you get charged sales tax on top of it (near 10% in Cook County). On the bright side is that combined it is still 20 cents less per gallon than Pennsylvania and there 58 cents
RobertD likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
2020 will be year of EV cars, a lot of Ev debuts from the likes of Porsche, VW, Mercedes, etc. Glad to see Mazda in on it but a little slow to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page