Mazda moves into electric cars - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadStyle View Post
2020 will be year of EV cars, a lot of Ev debuts from the likes of Porsche, VW, Mercedes, etc. Glad to see Mazda in on it but a little slow to it.

As long as gas prices remain relatively low, EV is going to struggle. Prius sales last year dropped 16% for example. Outside of major urban centers in California, I don't see where EV is going to hold any kind of advantage. Especially without any infrastructure. If EVs are going to overtake ICEs, they need to:

1) Bring down costs.... big time
2) Heavily expand recharging infrastructure. This includes what I think will be the biggest challenge: Multi-family housing units.

3) Fuel prices are going to have to skyrocket again
4) Increased range and reduced recharge times. Either that, or battery swap stations
5) BIGGER VEHICLES! The US has a bloodlust for SUVs and trucks and right now there are ZERO options for a full EV in either format. Hybrid options, outside of Toyota, are also thin to none.

In short, for EVs to catch on either the government is going to have to force them on us or automakers are going to have to appeal to what consumers want. I see the first being attempted before the second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Myche View Post
There are a few plans out there in various stages to increase revenues from drivers; these may not all go into transportation funding:

1. Congestion pricing: The Bay Bridge between San Francisco and Oakland had a normal toll of $4.00. It is increased to $5 during the weekends and $6 during the morning/evening rush hours. Very similar to "Surge Pricing" used by Uber/Lyft

2. Progressive Registration Fees: Having a newer or more expensive cars increase the license plate cost. A base 2018 Mazda 6 (MSRP $22K) costs $256 for plates. A top of the line 2003 Mazda 6 (original price about the same) pays only $35.

3. VMT (Vehicle Miles Traveled)- Pretty simple, they tax per mile driven. Still in planning/testing/proposal stages. Main thing against it is a concern for privacy.

Good old Illinois and layers of taxing. Your actual gas tax is well below the national average (19 cents vs 30), but then you get charged sales tax on top of it (near 10% in Cook County). On the bright side is that combined it is still 20 cents less per gallon than Pennsylvania and there 58 cents
This kind of taxing is really frustrating in areas where the majority can no longer afford to live near work. The wealthy who can afford to live in the city won't be paying, it's everyone else who has to commute to afford a place to live. I live in SoCal, I don't know anyone who wants and is choosing to live far out and be stuck in traffic for hours to get to a their job, but one is looking at 700K minimum to own near the majority of industry here and near 2000K to rent an apt, more for a house. Public transportation is pretty much useless. I will never support a VMT or anything like it.

I'm a "educated professional" usually surrounded by the liberal well off, but I grew up working class in a poor neighborhood and sometimes I am astounded at how clueless people can be, but that's by design.

I'm not shooting the messenger here, just commenting on how I feel about the ideas.

Last edited by Brightshen; 04-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page