Unofficial 2017 Mazda6 Rumor Thread - Page 60 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #591 of 596 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone notice on mazdausa that the 17's have an estimated 35 MPG HWY? That's 5 less than the 16's

Also, when does everyone think we may start hearing/seeing some more information on the 2018 Mazda6? I noticed a few things several pages ago, however, with the 17's just announced, would be safe to say not much until at least the beginning of next year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 596 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:18 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis691 View Post
Anyone notice on mazdausa that the 17's have an estimated 35 MPG HWY? That's 5 less than the 16's

Also, when does everyone think we may start hearing/seeing some more information on the 2018 Mazda6? I noticed a few things several pages ago, however, with the 17's just announced, would be safe to say not much until at least the beginning of next year?
With no mechanical changes from mine, their estimates now match my reality. I don't feel so bad anymore.

At least I have chicken- Leeroy Jenkins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

v5.0 and counting
post #593 of 596 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis691 View Post

EPA updated their testing methodology for MPG for this year, to in theory, give numbers closer to real world driving scenarios. Almost all cars are seeing a decline in stated MPG by 1-2 mpg from their previous model year even if there weren't mechanical changes.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 gained some weight from the sound dampening it has received. Is it enough to produce a ~2-3mpg reduction, I don't know.

As for when we could start seeing leaks on a new Mazda 6, I'm still hopeful for a next gen with the MY 2018. The leaks for the 2017 CX-5 have been around for a couple of months now, if it gets announced at New York that would mean that the leaks were around 5 months or so before the official announcement.
Given the switch to a fall release schedule for the 6, we would start seeing leaks around spring/summer of next year if there is a new gen for MY 2018.

Also, 2018 is when Mazda has implied they will start phasing in Skyactive 2, so if we are lucky we will be seeing at least one model getting a next gen update in 2017. Assuming it isn't the CX-5, we'll probably see a refreshed 3 or 6 next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #594 of 596 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Track Racer

Garage
I have come to realize there is another MPG factor that effects the Mazda6. iELOOP cars have a taller final drive than non iELOOP cars (3.591 iELOOP 6AT vs. 3.812 regular 6AT). This taller final drive in and of itself should equal an increase in fuel economy. The claimed higher MPG of iELOOP is only ever attributed to the regenerative capacitor charging and uncoupling of the alternator while discharging, not to any difference in gearing.

TL;dr
iELOOP is snake oil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

v5.0 and counting
post #595 of 596 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiGT View Post
I have come to realize there is another MPG factor that effects the Mazda6. iELOOP cars have a taller final drive than non iELOOP cars (3.591 iELOOP 6AT vs. 3.812 regular 6AT). This taller final drive in and of itself should equal an increase in fuel economy. The claimed higher MPG of iELOOP is only ever attributed to the regenerative capacitor charging and uncoupling of the alternator while discharging, not to any difference in gearing.

TL;dr
iELOOP is snake oil
Given Mazda's conservative spending it makes no sense to spend valuable r&d on snake oil. They never said it would increase fuel economy dramatically. Also IMO the parasitic loss from a tranditional alternator has some besring in engine responsiveness and go. I specifically test drove a 6 with and without i-eloop. I asked the dealer not to tell me which was which. The i-eloop felt a little more responsive to my seat of the pants measure. Fwiw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #596 of 596 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Given Mazda's conservative spending it makes no sense to spend valuable r&d on snake oil. They never said it would increase fuel economy dramatically. Also IMO the parasitic loss from a tranditional alternator has some besring in engine responsiveness and go. I specifically test drove a 6 with and without i-eloop. I asked the dealer not to tell me which was which. The i-eloop felt a little more responsive to my seat of the pants measure. Fwiw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
The snake oil was mostly a sarcastic thing, I need a sarcasma serif font.....

But....
Mazda claimed a 2 mpg boost for the iELOOP equipped 2016 Mazda6's(28/40, up from 26/38). They also changed the final drive ratio to a lower numerical value(taller gears) for the iELOOP equipped vehicles, which should increase fuel economy as well(lower engine speed for same mph). The combination of the two netted a claimed 2 mpg.
Now, for 2017 Mazda rates the iELOOP Mazda6 at 27/35 vs 26/35 for non-iELOOP. Weight went up to 3305 from 3250(brochure weight), no other significant changes. I know the EPA testing criteria was changed, but the iELOOP just does not seem to be a significant contributor to better mileage.

As for your seat of the pants measure, we all know that is very subjective. Were both of the cars you test drove GT package? On paper, the iELOOP with the taller gears and more weight from the additional components should feel slower.

I still really enjoy my car, I would have bought it at 35mpg. I wanted the top of the line, fullest loaded one I could get. Fuel mileage was not even top 3 when it came to my decision.

v5.0 and counting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page