Unofficial 2017 Mazda6 Rumor Thread - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

217Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegCramp View Post
Turbo, diesel, 40 MPG, FWD. Delayed because of VW. Will be 2017. Already test driven in California. XD
wut..

Are you one of those guys that drives the camo'ed test mules? I want to believe you but.. That seems too good to be true. Please elaborate for us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegCramp View Post
Turbo, diesel, 40 MPG, FWD. Delayed because of VW. Will be 2017. Already test driven in California. XD
The SkyActiv-D was test driven in California. I know one of the testing dealerships very well. They said that they couldn't get the emissions to CARB standards unless they (A) tuned it down to the point where it would have no performance or (B) added a DEF tank, which was not cost effective. Therefore, don't get your hopes up.
post #23 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
The SkyActiv-D was test driven in California. I know one of the testing dealerships very well. They said that they couldn't get the emissions to CARB standards unless they (A) tuned it down to the point where it would have no performance or (B) added a DEF tank, which was not cost effective. Therefore, don't get your hopes up.

Which dealership was giving test drives in them? That's an interesting marketing move for Mazda to demo them in the only state they're not able to sell to. Last I heard was they're 49 state legal, but can't over come the strict regulation in Cali. I am by no means sure on that information but would make sense.

But we all remember this little tid bit that popped up no longer after GEN 3 M6 was released from Corksport.

2016 Diesel Mazdaspeed 3 Rumors | CorkSport Mazda Performance - Blog

I agree it probably won't happen any time soon since the fiasco with VW. But hey, I started this thread to generate a little excitement in what would could potentially see in the future for the 6.

(the fact that the little blue car in the video is what looks to be a 6 Coupe makes me a little gitty for that as well. lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 04:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneville11 View Post
Which dealership was giving test drives in them? That's an interesting marketing move for Mazda to demo them in the only state they're not able to sell to. Last I heard was they're 49 state legal, but can't over come the strict regulation in Cali. I am by no means sure on that information but would make sense.

But we all remember this little tid bit that popped up no longer after GEN 3 M6 was released from Corksport.

2016 Diesel Mazdaspeed 3 Rumors | CorkSport Mazda Performance - Blog

I agree it probably won't happen any time soon since the fiasco with VW. But hey, I started this thread to generate a little excitement in what would could potentially see in the future for the 6.

(the fact that the little blue car in the video is what looks to be a 6 Coupe makes me a little gitty for that as well. lol)
It was a dealer in Central California who was part of the testing crew at Thunder Head Raceway in the Sacramento area. This particular dealer is involved in a number of different endurance and vintage racing circuits. The way my first-hand source (he was actually part of the mechanics crew) told it, the testing was partially an endurance run and partially emissions testing for CARB. This was done back in 2014 before it was announced that CARB would not approve the SkyActiv-D motor as outfitted. At the time of the endurance run, Mazda was confident they would have a 2015 rollout. Sadly, it didn't turn out that way.

Because CARB won't approve it, and since (on average, I'll have to remember the source of this number) 14% of all diesel equipped cars sold in the US are in California, Mazda didn't find it feasible to release the SkyActiv-D in the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to michael95350 For This Useful Post:
aneville11 (02-16-2016)
post #25 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95350 View Post
It was a dealer in Central California who was part of the testing crew at Thunder Head Raceway in the Sacramento area. This particular dealer is involved in a number of different endurance and vintage racing circuits. The way my first-hand source (he was actually part of the mechanics crew) told it, the testing was partially an endurance run and partially emissions testing for CARB. This was done back in 2014 before it was announced that CARB would not approve the SkyActiv-D motor as outfitted. At the time of the endurance run, Mazda was confident they would have a 2015 rollout. Sadly, it didn't turn out that way.

Because CARB won't approve it, and since (on average, I'll have to remember the source of this number) 14% of all diesel equipped cars sold in the US are in California, Mazda didn't find it feasible to release the SkyActiv-D in the US.

They are still working on releasing the diesel here in the US.

Chris

2015 Dodge Durango Limited
2001 Jaguar XJR
Lots of Mazdas, now gone...just ask
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ill keep my favs and most current below.
2016 Mazda 6 Touring MTX, Soul Red/Sand(Gone)
2017 MX-5 Club 6SPD White/Black
The Following User Says NO Thank You to Badbenz94 For This Un-useful Post:
ALEORONDON (05-15-2016)
post #26 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the obvious strengths of the 6 is a balanced chassis. I wonder if the added weight of either a diesel or a turbo version of the base engine would throw that off somewhat, making the weight distribution more front-heavy.

Perhaps one way around that would be to turbocharge the 2.0L instead, producing an engine with similar HP to the normally aspirated 2.5L but a significant increase in lower RPMs, yet not winding up with a significant increase in front-end weight, assuming of course that using the smaller 4 would help offset the added weight of the turbo hardware.

What I'm wondering, then, is if the turbo from the upcoming CX-9 is really a good choice for the Mazda 6 in light of how light that car is, for a mid-size sedan.
post #27 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Garage
Just Add Sound Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post
... I wonder if the added weight of either a diesel or a turbo version of the base engine would throw that off somewhat, making the weight distribution more front-heavy ...
Just add proper sound deadening insulation to the cabin. Weight distribution "issue" solved. Plus AWD. Really solved. Plus make it a Wagon: Perfecto.

Don
RedBluff likes this.

Officially Something ...

Last edited by taylerdo; 02-15-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: No reason
The Following User Says Thank You to taylerdo For This Useful Post:
RedBluff (02-17-2016)
post #28 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
To some extent, yes, adding a turbo does make the front heavier. But not much, probably around 60 lb for a small system -- a lot less than changing to a V6. But if you want handling above all else, NA would be best.

A 2.0L turbo is logical but that would require a new development effort -- difficult for a smaller company like Mazda. The 6 would be lucky to just get the existing turbo.
post #29 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Although Mazda hasn't confirmed, I feel it's inevitable that the 2.5 turbo ends up trickling down into other Models in the line up. Especially into the new CX4. Debut a Crossover Wagon with tons of power. The Outback, which will be the CX4's direct competitor, has yet to receive a boxer with a turbo so that will give Mazda even more of an advantage in the fun to drive category.

Why waste all the R&D that has gone into that power plant on just one vehicle? Given that minor tuning adjustments are made it'll be a direct fit for the 6, CX5, and from what I've read even the 3.

All the pieces of the puzzle are there, just make them fit and you have one satisfied Zoom-Zoom customer base.
It's going to come.

Now everyone place your bets on which arrives stateside first. Diesel M6 or 2.5T.
My money is on turbo, it's already passed emissions in a larger platform.
post #30 of 596 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Garage
I believe I mentioned this in a different thread, but the problem with the 2.5 Turbo is that it's been tuned and designed for LOW END power. Motor Trend recently reviewed the 2017 CX9 with the turbo and said it loses a lot of wind after 3000 RPM. That wouldn't work for a MazdaSpeed project.

Could you tune it for high end? Yes, but then they will have to place the EGR elsewhere and redesign the exhaust. This is because Mazda tailored those components for low end power. Their assumption was that SUV owners want power in the city and not necessarily on the highway.

Last edited by michael95350; 02-16-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page