Mazdaspeed6 Gen 3? - Page 10 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
how is a 2 door coupe a lot like a 4 door sedan?
Right?? I think more of a comparison would be the S4... Mazda could coax 333 hp or do a suped up diesel to compete. Charge 15k less than the S4 and advertise the heck out of it... But it still probably wouldn't compete because I would venture a lot of people who buy S4's are looking for status ("I have the FAST one" in obnoxious accent) than bang for the buck competitiveness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Mazda 6s (MTX) Sport Wagon - Glacier Silver (26A)
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (EX650A) - Kawi Green (777)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldsom View Post
Right?? I think more of a comparison would be the S4... Mazda could coax 333 hp or do a suped up diesel to compete. Charge 15k less than the S4 and advertise the heck out of it... But it still probably wouldn't compete because I would venture a lot of people who buy S4's are looking for status ("I have the FAST one" in obnoxious accent) than bang for the buck competitiveness.
I believe you are right , I was reading an article on the S5 and it just kind of slipped out. The S5 is a beautiful car , but naturally a coupe , not a sedan. Thanks
post #93 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
the S4 would be a better comparison, still 48K. The Chevy SS belongs with a dog in this fight also, and at 43K it belongs with 415HP (and look for that to improve significantly in the next few years as the LS gen 4 engines die off and all cars see the gen V engine) To be fairly competitive it would need to be in the 350-400HP range at around 40K to compete well. Even 300 would be OK, but it would have to offer some other luxuries the others dont. I don't expect we'll see anything until the 4th gen myself =/

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 03-20-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
the S4 would be a better comparison, still 48K. The Chevy SS belongs with a dog in this fight also, and at 43K it belongs with 415HP (and look for that to improve significantly in the next few years as the LS gen 4 engines die off and all cars see the gen V engine) To be fairly competitive it would need to be in the 350-400HP range at around 40K to compete well. Even 300 would be OK, but it would have to offer some other luxuries the others dont. I don't expect we'll see anything until the 4th gen myself =/
Only problem being the SS will be about 4000 lb and RWD, which shouldn't be a problem with all that grunt... Only Issue I have with it is the slushbox that is the only opiton.

If Mazda could make a 300+ hp Speed 6, at about 3500 lb or less (to account for the extra AWD gear), that would be a real contender. Even the Audi is close to 4000 lb curb weight, but I think it would handle much better than the SS will.

BTW: current 3rd gen Mazda 6i is about 3200 lb.

I agree with other posters that the 3 will most likely be where the Speed lives, if at all... The direct competition is much more obvious (Focus ST, WRX, etc.). The speed 6 kinda lives when Subaru actually made cool Legacies, and the 6 was a real competitor to the S4 at $46k (2006 price). That being said, I can hope the future holds a Speed3, Speed6, and SpeedMX-5

post #95 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voldsom View Post
Only problem being the SS will be about 4000 lb and RWD, which shouldn't be a problem with all that grunt... Only Issue I have with it is the slushbox that is the only opiton.

If Mazda could make a 300+ hp Speed 6, at about 3500 lb or less (to account for the extra AWD gear), that would be a real contender. Even the Audi is close to 4000 lb curb weight, but I think it would handle much better than the SS will.

BTW: current 3rd gen Mazda 6i is about 3200 lb.

I agree with other posters that the 3 will most likely be where the Speed lives, if at all... The direct competition is much more obvious (Focus ST, WRX, etc.). The speed 6 kinda lives when Subaru actually made cool Legacies, and the 6 was a real competitor to the S4 at $46k (2006 price). That being said, I can hope the future holds a Speed3, Speed6, and SpeedMX-5

you're absolutely right vs the current SS, but I'm speculating a few years out when the SS is on chevy's newest (lightweight) platform and with a GenV engine, it will be in the 3500lbs 500HP range O_O

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
)
post #96 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
I am interested in seeing what comes out of mazdasR&D in the next 2 years. Next year with sales of the 6 and 3 cx5 blowing up the market, they need to take the brand to that next level. Even if it doesnt say speed, everyone will know shit its the speedversion I am getting a badge off ebay. Mazda has a great track car MX-5 the new look is in line with the rest of the mazda lineup. SEXY. Now they need to bring an AWD platform, which is doable as you can put AWD on the CX-5. If they can translate the power correctly from the skyG or D to an awd platform they are now competing for that HOTHATCH market. That market share slimmer tends to pull people in, if it is a proven beast people buy it. At this point we see a mx-5 and speed3 variants. I forsee the next mazda innovation to be a spin off of mazda heritage. Rotary. Yes i said it. Which if dont incorrectly will end MAZDAROTARY for good. They are already balking at continuing development due to the costs. They are making a hybrid rotary 2 for Japan. If they were to create a hybrid rotary for the US, you could see a car shoot off the line then just redline. No lag, with compensation from powerband/low torque. If all that goes swimmingly while still creating family FUN drivers. We may see a true speed4doorsedan.

"I'd rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built if for me. Your car is your story so don't let someone else write the book." Moog from Mighty Car MOD
post #97 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMainah View Post
They are making a hybrid rotary 2 for Japan. If they were to create a hybrid rotary for the US, you could see a car shoot off the line then just redline. No lag, with compensation from powerband/low torque. If all that goes swimmingly while still creating family FUN drivers. We may see a true speed4doorsedan.
Rotary hybrid? This guy would approve:

post #98 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Rally Racer

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I still say Mazda has something funny going on with the SkyActiv engines. I don't buy the 13:1 compression ratio thing, even with DI, on regular unleaded. These engines are Atkinson cycle, so they bleed off compression. I'm thinking they're leaving room for a higher-performance variant that won't take too much modification to work because the engine was designed for a 13:1 ratio.

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
post #99 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways the Seven View Post
I still say Mazda has something funny going on with the SkyActiv engines. I don't buy the 13:1 compression ratio thing, even with DI, on regular unleaded. These engines are Atkinson cycle, so they bleed off compression. I'm thinking they're leaving room for a higher-performance variant that won't take too much modification to work because the engine was designed for a 13:1 ratio.
well the twin stage diesel is already proven.

"I'd rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built if for me. Your car is your story so don't let someone else write the book." Moog from Mighty Car MOD
post #100 of 155 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Rally Racer

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
True, but I think they have something planned for the gas engine as well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page