Mazda 6 Forums banner

Restyled 2018 Mazda6 Gains Luxury, Turbo Torque

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  ocramida 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

The Mazda6 is a perennial favorite in the midsize sedan segment thanks to its driver-focused dynamics. But to continue improving the breed, this car has been thoroughly reworked for 2018.

The attractive family sedan just debuted at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show. Engineers improved this four-door’s performance, refinement, and efficiency, while designers burnished its exterior styling and made it even more premium inside.

Mazda is aiming for a higher class of vehicle than normal with this car, not your typical Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Upping the premiumness (our word, not theirs) factor, this family sedan is now available in a new Signature trim, which features things like Nappa leather, wood trim, and UltraSuede NU accents.

Read more about the Restyled 2018 Mazda6 Gains Luxury, Turbo Torque at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
1 1
#8 ·
Last I heard the turbo-4 will be available in GT and Signature trim. I also thought I saw someone here mention it being available on Touring as well...

#13 ·
Turbos and manuals are not a natural combination. Shifting interrupts boost, and turbo torque is made at relatively low RPM. Automatics do a better job of managing the turbo. Mazda explains this at 1:30 here:

Subaru, for instance, dropped the manual from the Forester XT in 2009, keeping it only for the WRX.

#14 ·
I agree. Manuals probably are best with higher displacement engines where the bottom end torque is naturally evident, that is to say if you really want fun. A V8, of reasonable displacement ?. Of course fuel economy and packaging concerns abound in this case... Manuals are also fine with small displacement engines too.

#15 ·
I should clarify that in the higher gears like maybe second but for sure third and above... this loss of boost over the course of the gear changing delay has not nearly so marked an effect... as you obviously stay in the higher gears for longer as you accelerate. So turbos can indeed be fun in a manual, though more so in the upper speed ranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.