post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LED headlight bulbs

I'm looking into replacing the "normal" filament headlight bulbs (H11) with the newer LED types (see photo) have any of you tried them.

I have been told that at the moment this type of bulb is not legal due to the light output or that they have not yet been certified, most car accessory shops do not sell them, but ebay has lots of them for sale.
My main concern is that due to the variation in the LED' position this may effect the dip beams pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	224744  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Unfortunately. aftermarket LED headlight bulbs are just not there yet. As far as I know, nobody (even major manufacturers like Philips) make replacement bulbs that are DOT certified. With bulbs like these, you're just getting something for show. I wouldn't recommend using them as your primary headlights. hidplanet.com is my go to resource for aftermarket lighting. Spend some time there if you'd like to learn more about your options and the state of aftermarket lighting.
dasrider and Mad Myche like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
H11 LED' are so cheap on ebay that I might buy 2 and see what they are like!

As they are for my dip beam my concern is that the actual position of the LED' on the body of the bulb might not match the light pattern form the original filament bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
I'm looking into replacing the "normal" filament headlight bulbs (H11) with the newer LED types (see photo) have any of you tried them.

I have been told that at the moment this type of bulb is not legal due to the light output or that they have not yet been certified, most car accessory shops do not sell them, but ebay has lots of them for sale.
My main concern is that due to the variation in the LED' position this may effect the dip beams pattern.
Please don't do it.
Your concern about the LED not being in the correct position and the resulting deviation in the light pattern is the reason they are not certified for replacement. They never will be either for that same basic reason

As Obi-Wan once said; "your eyes can deceive you". Don't fall for the hype and pretty pictures that companies and sellers show.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Myche View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post

Please don't do it.
Your concern about the LED not being in the correct position and the resulting deviation in the light pattern is the reason they are not certified for replacement. They never will be either for that same basic reason

As Obi-Wan once said; "your eyes can deceive you". Don't fall for the hype and pretty pictures that companies and sellers show.
Yes, this. On ebay you're getting garbage Chinese product that hasn't been tested. They know it will turn on, and that's about it. At best you'll end up burning up your wiring. At worst, you could melt your headlight housing or end up with an assault charge when your misdirected light blinds some other driver and causes an accident.

There is a reason people don't sell them except on ebay, and a reason why they are so cheap. If you want LED headlights, don't cut corners, buy an actual LED headlight housing kit.

And if you decide to do it anyway, we all warned you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I agree with all posted by other members, I wouldn't use those for my head lights.
I bought a couple of those for my fog lights, my 6 has HID's and I wanted to match the color.
They do not last, after a couple of months they started flickering, it is like some of the LED's soldering fails due to vibration, 3 out of 4 bulbs did this. I just put my halogens back on.

My SHO came with the expensive type of aftermarket LED's on the headlights. One of the ballasts failed within a month. I replaced them back to the OEM bulbs.

It could just be me but I haven't come across a good, long lasting LED bulb, even for interior lights.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Thanked 1,137 Times in 827 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
VLEDS.com

Used them for all my LEDs in my '10 (front and rear turn signals, side markers, license plate, and reverse/back-up lighting), and only had one license plate lamp fail after 6+ years of use. I've also used them to swap out all the filament bulbs in the interior of my '18. Check them out here, starting at post 14.

I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for", so yeah, they're expensive, but their quality is second to none, their light output is fantastic, and they stand behind their product.

As for their headlamps, I had HID's on my '10, and OEM LEDs now, but I've seen a couple installations of their headlamp LEDs on other vehicles locally, and they worked well with incandescent housings, especially projectors, and didn't have the glare or bad light distribution of cheaper bulbs...

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page