Mazda 6 Forums banner

2016 Mazda 6 GT DRL Replacement with LED - is this LED too long?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  calcaneous 
#1 ·
I have the 2016 Mazda 6 GT which the dealer claimed had LED lights all around. I learned the hard way that Mazda opted for incandescent bulbs for the DRL/Turn Signal dual filament 7443's. One of my front DRLs burned out. Turn signal still works but DRL is down.

I've been shopping around for a while now trying to find good dual function amber colored replacements, and I think I've landed on this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ion-28-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit-car/1648/

It appears to have what I want - an always on amber (DRL), plus a brighter amber flash when activating turn signals. However, the entire bulb from end to end is just about 3 inches long. Is this too long to fit in the headlamp housing? Anyone have experience with this bulb or any similarly long bulbs for replacement? There's a few "shorter" options available on SuperBright, but all of them have a lower lumens count so I was hoping to get this one which is the brightest available on the site.

Anybody have any thoughts or concerns with this? I know I have to take the whole bumper off to replace the front signals so I'd prefer to do it once with these LEDs and (hopefully) never again, but would be very unfortunate if I went through all of the hassle just to find out that the bulbs are too long.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the 2016 Mazda 6 GT which the dealer claimed had LED lights all around. I learned the hard way that Mazda opted for incandescent bulbs for the DRL/Turn Signal dual filament 7443's. One of my front DRLs burned out. Turn signal still works but DRL is down.

I've been shopping around for a while now trying to find good dual function amber colored replacements, and I think I've landed on this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ion-28-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit-car/1648/

It appears to have what I want - an always on amber (DRL), plus a brighter amber flash when activating turn signals. However, the entire bulb from end to end is just about 3 inches long. Is this too long to fit in the headlamp housing? Anyone have experience with this bulb or any similarly long bulbs for replacement? There's a few "shorter" options available on SuperBright, but all of them have a lower lumens count so I was hoping to get this one which is the brightest available on the site.

Anybody have any thoughts or concerns with this? I know I have to take the whole bumper off to replace the front signals so I'd prefer to do it once with these LEDs and (hopefully) never again, but would be very unfortunate if I went through all of the hassle just to find out that the bulbs are too long.

I thought that the drl on the 16 weren’t serviceable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Meaning what exactly? That I can't replace it? That seems unlikely, what is someone supposed to do when one of their DRLs burns out then? Buy a new $1,300 LED Headlamp? the DRL in the '16 GT is a standard dual filament 7443 bulb that I can get at any auto parts store, but I can't gain access to the back of the headlamp because of how the car is put together so I assume I just need to pull the bumper off, remove the headlamp assembly, and then I'd be able to access the back of the headlamp and pull the old bulb and replace it.

Unless you know something that I don't?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.