2016 Mazda 6 GT DRL Replacement with LED - is this LED too long? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
2016 Mazda 6 GT DRL Replacement with LED - is this LED too long?

I have the 2016 Mazda 6 GT which the dealer claimed had LED lights all around. I learned the hard way that Mazda opted for incandescent bulbs for the DRL/Turn Signal dual filament 7443's. One of my front DRLs burned out. Turn signal still works but DRL is down.

I've been shopping around for a while now trying to find good dual function amber colored replacements, and I think I've landed on this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/1648/

It appears to have what I want - an always on amber (DRL), plus a brighter amber flash when activating turn signals. However, the entire bulb from end to end is just about 3 inches long. Is this too long to fit in the headlamp housing? Anyone have experience with this bulb or any similarly long bulbs for replacement? There's a few "shorter" options available on SuperBright, but all of them have a lower lumens count so I was hoping to get this one which is the brightest available on the site.

Anybody have any thoughts or concerns with this? I know I have to take the whole bumper off to replace the front signals so I'd prefer to do it once with these LEDs and (hopefully) never again, but would be very unfortunate if I went through all of the hassle just to find out that the bulbs are too long.

2016 Mazda 6 GT
Minaris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minaris View Post
I have the 2016 Mazda 6 GT which the dealer claimed had LED lights all around. I learned the hard way that Mazda opted for incandescent bulbs for the DRL/Turn Signal dual filament 7443's. One of my front DRLs burned out. Turn signal still works but DRL is down.



I've been shopping around for a while now trying to find good dual function amber colored replacements, and I think I've landed on this:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/1648/



It appears to have what I want - an always on amber (DRL), plus a brighter amber flash when activating turn signals. However, the entire bulb from end to end is just about 3 inches long. Is this too long to fit in the headlamp housing? Anyone have experience with this bulb or any similarly long bulbs for replacement? There's a few "shorter" options available on SuperBright, but all of them have a lower lumens count so I was hoping to get this one which is the brightest available on the site.



Anybody have any thoughts or concerns with this? I know I have to take the whole bumper off to replace the front signals so I'd prefer to do it once with these LEDs and (hopefully) never again, but would be very unfortunate if I went through all of the hassle just to find out that the bulbs are too long.


I thought that the drl on the 16 weren’t serviceable ?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calcaneous is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
I thought that the drl on the 16 weren’t serviceable ?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaning what exactly? That I can't replace it? That seems unlikely, what is someone supposed to do when one of their DRLs burns out then? Buy a new $1,300 LED Headlamp? the DRL in the '16 GT is a standard dual filament 7443 bulb that I can get at any auto parts store, but I can't gain access to the back of the headlamp because of how the car is put together so I assume I just need to pull the bumper off, remove the headlamp assembly, and then I'd be able to access the back of the headlamp and pull the old bulb and replace it.

Unless you know something that I don't?

2016 Mazda 6 GT
Minaris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minaris View Post
Meaning what exactly? That I can't replace it? That seems unlikely, what is someone supposed to do when one of their DRLs burns out then? Buy a new $1,300 LED Headlamp? the DRL in the '16 GT is a standard dual filament 7443 bulb that I can get at any auto parts store, but I can't gain access to the back of the headlamp because of how the car is put together so I assume I just need to pull the bumper off, remove the headlamp assembly, and then I'd be able to access the back of the headlamp and pull the old bulb and replace it.



Unless you know something that I don't?


Oh. The drl in the 16 GT is the set of lights around the low beam making the “u” shape.

You are talking about the parking lights/turn signal. You can reach the turn signals through the fender. It will be tight but do-able.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calcaneous is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Learners License
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcaneous View Post
Oh. The drl in the 16 GT is the set of lights around the low beam making the “u” shape.

You are talking about the parking lights/turn signal. You can reach the turn signals through the fender. It will be tight but do-able.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Whoooops, my mistake. I just figured the U shaped LED light was considered to be a sort of "halo" light and that the parking / signal lights were still considered DRLs since they're on at the same time.

They ARE activated when the DRLs are activated, after all still counts!

Thanks for the clarification tho, had me worried for a second there. I'll look into the wheel access option but I've taken the bumper off before so I may go that route anyway to make my life easier.

---

Now that my crisis of light mis-identification is over, could still use some feedback on the length of the replacement bulb. Does anyone think 3 inches is too much for the parking/signal lights in the headlight assembly?

2016 Mazda 6 GT
Minaris is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minaris View Post
Whoooops, my mistake. I just figured the U shaped LED light was considered to be a sort of "halo" light and that the parking / signal lights were still considered DRLs since they're on at the same time.



They ARE activated when the DRLs are activated, after all still counts!



Thanks for the clarification tho, had me worried for a second there. I'll look into the wheel access option but I've taken the bumper off before so I may go that route anyway to make my life easier.



---



Now that my crisis of light mis-identification is over, could still use some feedback on the length of the replacement bulb. Does anyone think 3 inches is too much for the parking/signal lights in the headlight assembly?


They aren’t normally on when the car is in unless your stalk is set for them to be on.

I had putco led turn signals and those are really crazy bright. Just a reminder , you’ll need a resistor for them to work properly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calcaneous is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome