Looking to install backup camera, advice? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Looking to install backup camera, advice?

Hi All! New to the forum, just got a used Mazda 6 2012 (2nd Gen) touring model and am looking to install a camera and screen with wireless communication. The 3 products I'm looking at are from Esky, sold on amazon: (sorry links to Amazon weren't sending to correct location with http hyperlink)

www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMC8QXI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UMXM LXE4BHNU&coliid=I2EZIBWF2AHH0X&psc=1[/url]
www.amazon.com/dp/B00T2HDGIA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=UMXM LXE4BHNU&coliid=I26AL76UPYNY0R&psc=1[/url]
www.amazon.com/dp/B00RVIZQMG/ref=twister_B00RE547V2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

Has anyone done anything similar? Where did you tap in to get power? I would like for it to come on with backup lights but also have the ability to power during driving upon user input. Have people used Loctite thread lock to put on the license plate screws to prevent theft? Are there other alternative for camera mounting locations? I've seen some that come out the the license plate light hole. I'm going for a really clean install, especially with the screen, and am hoping to fit it into the lower cubby (link below), and use the power (only on with accessories) slot to power the screen. Don't worry, I charge my phone from the other charger port.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/552825...ring-wheel.jpg

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda6back.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	1,009.3 KB
ID:	156593  

Last edited by terpsterps; 07-08-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I doubt anyone would steal the camera since they would have to cut the cable to remove it.
Since you don't want to have to run wires from the back to front, the easiest way I think would work is to connect the camera power to the back up lights so it will come on when in reverse. In order to turn it on at will, you could wire a switch to the reverse switch in the shifter. The only downside to this is that the back up lights would come on when you press the switch.
I think you may need to run at least one wire to the camera for manual control.

Also, I love the steering wheel on this year. I wish I could switch my '09 for the '12 version.

~Mike

2009 Mazda 6 GT in Sangria Red.
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelsteinbach For This Useful Post:
terpsterps (07-15-2015)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
On second thought...

You could hook up the camera and transmitter to constant power in the back of the car. Then, in the front you would have the receiver power connected to both the reverse switch and your manual switch.

~Mike

2009 Mazda 6 GT in Sangria Red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the reply! Do you know of a way to setup notifications if someone replies to your thread?

I don't think anyone would steal it, but re-soldering to the cable after it is cut wouldn't be very hard at all. So someone might if they really want a $40 camera. Your latter comment is what I've been thinking about doing. Can you think of an always on power back there? I guess the trunk light before the trunk switch? Although that might be wired all the way to the front so that there is a feedback when it's open. Maybe speaker power back there? I haven't looked around much but I'm not sure where a power line I could tap into.

Also, the screen I bought has a reverse power signal wire that I plan to interrupt with my own switch to give it the 12v in my manual mode. And when off, only the reverse power will trigger it. Do you know where the best place to tap into the reverse power is up front? I've watched a few videos on it, but it involves stripping a bunch of wires to test them all (I'm going to to this if there isn't a better way to find that power).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:09 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page