DIY: broken oil pressure sender switch connector - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
broken oil pressure sender switch connector

Replaced my oil pressure sender switch and the a small piece of the connector from the harness broke. It connects but isn't super tight like it should be. Do I need to replace the harness / connector or will it be ok to roll as is?

this car seems to have the most brittle electrical connectors everywhere...

Current: 2004 Mazda 6S 3.0L Wagon | 2015 Mazda CX-5 | previous: 1990 Miata, 1992 Mazda MPV V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I'd probably replace it, and considering the car is 15 years old I am not surprised.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Y View Post
Replaced my oil pressure sender switch and the a small piece of the connector from the harness broke. It connects but isn't super tight like it should be. Do I need to replace the harness / connector or will it be ok to roll as is?

this car seems to have the most brittle electrical connectors everywhere...

It should be fine if you can keep it attached securely. A plastic pull tie or metal twist tie may be "engineered" to strengthen your connection.

If you are salvage yard visitor you could clip a complete one and re-pin your wires into it.

On a side note:
I tried to pull my sender out to test oil pressure after my light started flickering at idle (loose connector) and the sender just spins in the block (not good). Being able to just fix a connector is a blessing in my book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
I tried to pull my sender out to test oil pressure after my light started flickering at idle (loose connector) and the sender just spins in the block (not good). Being able to just fix a connector is a blessing in my book.
I don't think I ever heard that it was just a lose connection. Good to know you found a solution @DrFeelGood .

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
The Following User Says Thank You to waughoo For This Useful Post:
DrFeelGood (12-30-2018)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I don't think I ever heard that it was just a lose connection. Good to know you found a solution @DrFeelGood .
I can't say for sure if it was the connection or grounding (as a result of stripped threads and buildup) but it is working (until it isn't). I am never pulling that thing out (unless it starts gushing oil). If the sender ever fails I will put an oil filter sandwich adapter plate in and connect a sender to that.

Edit: Well its acting up again so I will be retrofitting a sandwich plate from GlowShift to take the oil pressure reporting duties.
https://forum.mazda6club.com/3-0l-v6...ml#post5036058

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page