DIY: Rear Brake Maintenance Mode for 2016+ Ebrake - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
Rear Brake Maintenance Mode for 2016+ Ebrake

Special Thanks given to Mazdas247.com. This was written by tomcat1446 helping to interpret a difficult service manual. I did this today using his write-up perfectly. Link: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ctronic-brakes

2 Excellent write up's on rear the brake change, but removes rear ebrake from caliper:
1) DIY Rear Brakes by @Lanson - https://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-...ar-brakes.html
2) DIY Rear Brakes by @flyandi - https://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda6-...adzda-6-a.html

HOW TO GET INTO MAINTENANCE MODE WRITTEN BY tomcat1446(Mazdas247):

The purpose of the maintenance mode is to back off the EPB motor so you can compress the pistons easily (DO NOT TURN THE PISTON) and NOT have to remove the e-brake from the caliper.

I can see how it is tempting for someone who doesn't know about these EPB to use the Lisle 28600 tool to try and turn them back in BUT IT WILL NOT WORK, the motor will not allow it, forcing it with a C-clamp will break the EPB motor. The motor must be backed off first with the procedure below.

I believe the dealer can use a scan tool computer to have the car enter EPB maintenace mode, but at least Mazda gave us an option for those who don't like going to the dealership with this procedure below. Without this procedure we would be at the mercy of the dealer to get the EPB motor to retract if we wanted to replace rear brake pads.

there are little nuances some people might miss so I add my notes in red............

Switching On Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE) pressing once only gives you ACC power, (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off)

2. Release the electric parking brake. (to release the parking brake, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, then press down on EPB switch to release it, you will hear the motor releasing and the light on the EPB switch light goes off)

(I'll simplify remaining steps here: after step 2, release foot from brake pedal, and move over and press accelerator pedal down fully and press down on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point light up) you are now in maintenance mode.

Now go do whatever you need to do on the brakes, for the rear brake pistons DO NOT TURN THE PISTONS, compress them straight back like you would do the fronts. After they are compressed back make sure the grooves are lined up in perfect North South orientation per Mazda instructions use Lisle #28600 for minor adjustments only.

Even if you don't plan to do your own brakes, it would be a good idea to let your mechanic know about the maintenance mode. They might not be aware and turn the piston which may damage the EPB motor.

Ending Maintenance Mode

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off). (you have to press the start button TWICE (do not press on brake otherwise engine will start, engine must be off) pressing once only gives you ACC power

(I'll simplify the remaining steps here: press accelerator pedal down fully and pull up on the EPB switch at the same time and hold, then press the start button 3 times quickly, you will hear the motor moving back and the yellow parking brake with exclamation point goes out)

you can then move your foot and press on the brake pedal and pull up the EPB, you will see the normal red brake light light up and you're done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toy4x For This Useful Post:
Dougspeed (09-05-2018), elguatero (11-29-2018), zPacKRat (09-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I'm confused on one particular step.

While I understand that this procedure eliminates the need to remove the electronic brake from the main caliper...what about the part where you use a T40 to reset part of the brakes?

"Use a T40 Torx and slowly put in the molding and then turn clock-wise until it's all the way down. Don't use force - once it's stopped that's it."

"Now this part is very important! Take a T40 Torx and insert it in the back end of the brake caliper actuator. Turn it clockwise until it stops, which for me only took a few turns."

Those are taken from the linked DIY's on rear brakes.

I THINK this is also eliminated by this procedure but want to be sure.

EDIT: These steps avoid all of the above. Once this procedure is done, it's just like a normal brake job.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by theoreticaljerk; 12-06-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page